Mughal Buildings in India
Mughal Buildings in India :: List of Mughal Emperors
Babar : Built two mosques: one at Kabulibagh in Panipat and the other in Sambhal in Rohilkhand.
Buildings in Humayun Empire :
- Laid the foundation of the city Din Panah at Delhi.
- Built Jamali Mosque and the Mosque of Isa Khan at Delhi.
- Humayun’s tomb is called the prototype of Taj Mahal. It was built by his widow Haji Begum.
Akbar Buildings :
- Built Agra fort (in red sandstone).
- He also built Fatehpur Sikri (city of victory) near Agra. In Fatehpur Sikri are the Panch Mahal, Diwan-I-Khas, Diwan-I-Aam, Jodhabai’s palace and Sheikh Salim Chishti’s tomb. Buland Darwaza (53 m high) is located here, commemorating the emperor’s conquest of Gujarat.
- Built his own tomb at Sikandra, near Agra.
- Built the temple of Govindadeva at Vrindavan.
Buildings in Jahangir Mughal Empire :
- With Jahangir’s reign, the practice of putting up buildings in marble and decorating the walls with floral designs made of semi-precious stones started. This method of decoration was known as Pietra Dura.
- Nurjahan built the tomb of Itmad-ud-Daula at Agra.
- Jahangir built Moti Masjid at Lahore and his own mausoleum at Shahdara (Lahore).
Shahjahan Architecture :
- Built Taj Mahal, Moti Masjid at Agra, Jama Masjid and Red Fort at Delhi, Shalimar Bagh at Lahore and city of Shahjahanabad.
- Also built Mussaman Burz at Agra (where he spent his last years in captivity), Sheesh Mahal, etc.
- He got the peacock throne built by Bebadal Khan on which Amir Khusrau’s couplet – ‘If there is a paradise on earth, it is here’, inscribed on it.
Aurangzeb Architecture :
- Built Moti Masjid at Delhi and Badshahi Mosque at Lahore.
- Built Bibi ka Makbara in Aurangabad.
Famous Buildings in India – Huamyun Empire Buildings – Buildings in Akbar’s Dynasty – Jahangir Emperors Buildings – Shajahan & Aurangzeb Architecture
Posted In general knowledge : history : Leave a response for mughal buildings in india by