Oxford University Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Trust invites applications for a Rhodes Scholarship tenable at the University of Oxford, United Kingdom, from October 2010. The successful candidate may elect to read for a postgraduate degree or a second Bachelor degree.
The aim of the Scholarship is to attract scholars who are good ‘all-rounders’, and the requirements for applicants are high.
Rhodes legacy specified four standards by which applicants were to be judged:
- literary and scholastic attainments.
- energy to use one’s talents to the full, as exemplified by fondness for and success in sports.
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
The Rhodes Trust and Oxford University require that selection for a Scholarship and for admission to the University will be ‘without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, sexual orientation, social background, or disability’.
The Scholarship is normally for two years but may be held for one year only, depending upon the degree programme pursued. The Scholarship may be renewed, at the complete discretion of the Trustees, for a third and final year for those who pursue a doctoral degree.
The Scholarship covers all university and college fees, an economy class airfare to and from the United Kingdom, and a personal allowance per year to cover board, lodging and other maintenance costs.
Oxford University Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility
To be eligible for consideration of the Scholarship, candidates must:
- be Hong Kong residents who have received at least ten years of education in Hong Kong, or be permanent residents of Hong Kong or citizens of the People Republic of China who are currently enrolled in a university in Hong Kong for full-time study.
- must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 01 October 2018
- have obtained an Honours degree before 1 October 2018.
Preference will be given to those who have not received any part of their education in the United Kingdom.
Oxford University Rhodes Scholarship Application form
Details of the Scholarship are obtainable from the Hong Kong Rhodes Scholarship website at http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/adm/sfas. Applicants are required to make online applications on the website of The Rhodes Trust at http://www.rhodestrust.org/countrysites.htm and submit all the supporting documents by 30 September, 2017 (Hong Kong time). Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Rhodes Scholarship, the information in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford: www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate.
For enquiry, please contact the Hong Kong Rhodes Scholarship Secretariat at 2609 7204 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.]
Oxford University Rhodes Scholarship Application Deadline
- Applications must submitted online by 23:59, local time, 30 September 2017.