Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program
The Asian Development Bank ( ADB )–Japan Scholarship Program ( JSP ) was established in April 1988 with ﬁnancing from the Government of Japan. It aims to provide an opportunity for well-qualiﬁed citizens of ADB’s developing members to pursue postgraduate studies in economics, business and management, science and technology, and other development-related ﬁelds at 29 educational institutions in 10 countries in Asia and the Paciﬁc. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
The Asian Development Bank / Japan Scholarship Program ( JSP ) offers about 150 postgraduate scholarships a year for studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions.
The scholarship provides full tuition fees, a monthly allowance for expenses, housing, books and instructional materials, medical insurance and travel. For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship.
Programs covered by the ADB-JSP are postgraduate studies in
- natural resource management
- science and technology
- other development-related fields
Only programs at the participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Regions are eligible for ADB-JSP funding.
Asian Development Bank Japan Scholarships Eligibility
Who is Eligible?
The program is open to those who have gained admission to an approved MA / PhD course at a participating academic institution. Candidates should be 35 years old or younger; in good health; with a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent; and have a superior academic record. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to return to their home country to contribute to its economic and social development.
- Citizen of an ADB borrowing member and Japanese Official Development Assistance scholarship eligible country.
- Gained admission to an approved course in any of the 29 institutions.
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least 2 years of full-time professional working experience ( acquired after a university degree ) at the time of application.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. For programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to his or her home country after completion of studies under the program.
- Executive directors, alternate directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and close relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Staff of ADB–JSP partner institutions are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB–JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- A national of an ADB borrowing member and Japanese ODA scholarship eligible country listed here.
- Gained admission to an approved MA / PhD course at an academic institution .
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least two (2) years of full-time professional working experience ( acquired after a university degree ) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and close relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Staff of ADB-JSP designated institutions are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
Scholarships are available to citizens of the following countries/areas
- Cook Islands
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Marshall Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
- Viet Nam
Duration of the Scholarship Award
The scholarship is for one (1) year with an extension to the second year of study, as appropriate, which shall be conditional on the scholar maintaining a satisfactory level of performance as determined by the institute.
The maximum duration of scholarship award is two (2) years for masters and three (3) years for doctorate programs.
Applicants should not be more than 35 years of age at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
Criteria for Selection of ADB-JSP Scholars
- Qualifications of the candidate.
- Priority to the ranking, or order of merit, proposed by the DIs.
- Applicants with less than two years of work experience will not be selected.
- Preference to women candidates.
- Preference to applicants with lesser financial capacity
- The Program will, in principle, not support applicants who have previously studied abroad.
- The Program will, in principle, not support applicants who are pursuing a second MA or a second PhD degree.
- Candidates who are applying at a DI in their own country may not be selected.
- Diversification of nationality in the overall Program as well as at each DI level will be considered.
- The Program encourages studies in line with core areas of ADB’s Strategy 2020, which address poverty reduction through infrastructure, environment, regional cooperation and integration, finance sector development, and education. Strategy 2020, ADB’s long-term strategy, sets ADB’s strategic course for its operations to the year 2020.
Asian Development Bank Japan Scholarships Application form
Apply for scholarship
Applicants should indicate to the academic institution that they are applying for admission and that they would like to be considered for the ADB-JSP Scholarship. The completed institution application form and required documentation, including the ADB-JSP application sheet form, should be submitted to the academic institution. Applicants must ensure that they submit accurate and complete documentation. Failure to do so may result in an application not being processed or to an award being terminated if documentation or information provided is later determined to be false. Applicants are required to submit their latest Income tax return or certification of their annual salary / monthly salary, whichever is available. They should also submit a certification of family income ( parent’s income ).
Applications for scholarships should be sent at least six months prior to the planned time that you wish to commence studies.
How candidates are selected
The academic institution will screen and rank the applicants, based on its own selection criteria, keeping in view the eligibility requirements and selection criteria of the ADB. In the evaluation process, the academic institution may contact the candidates for further information. The academic institution will then submit its ranked list of applicants to ADB, including a description of the score / grading system which is the basis for the ranking.
ADB will review the submission from the academic institutions and recommend awardees based on the selection criteria of ADB to the Executive Director of Japan for formal approval.
Upon approval by the Executive Director of Japan, ADB will advise academic institutions on the successful candidates.
The academic institution will inform all applicants of the outcome of the selection process and begin to make arrangements for the awardees take up their scholarships.
The academic institutions will arrange for the signing of the acceptance of scholarship award by awardee wherein the scholars agree that after completion of their study, they will return to their home country.
ADB will send an appropriate congratulatory letter to scholars through the university.
Important to note
- No separate application to ADB is necessary.
- The duly accomplished applications form together with all copies of academic records should be sent to the institution at least six (6) months before the commencement of the intake that you wish to join.
- Only candidates who have been offered admission and endorsed by the academic institutions will be considered for the scholarships by the ADB.
- The ADB-JSP does not cover expenses for the scholar’s family; extra-curricular courses or training; additional travel during the course of the study program; additional expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, or participation in workshops, seminars, or internships while at the academic institution or purchase of educational equipment such as computers.
- Completion of the application form or admission by the academic institution does not mean that you have been accepted for a scholarship; accordingly you should not take any action with respect to your current employment or otherwise, until you have been informed by the institution that you have been awarded a scholarship.
Asian Development Bank Japan Scholarships Application Deadline
- Application closing date for courses starting in – 30th November 2017. Send applications for scholarships at least six months prior to the planned time that you wish to commence studies. Please refer to the normal month of intake and deadline of application in the participating academic institutions.
Asian Development Bank
#6 ADB Avenue, Mandaluyong City 1550,
Metro Manila, Philippines
Fax No : +63 2 636 4444; +63 2 636 2456
E-mail contact form
Email Id : firstname.lastname@example.org