International Atomic Energy Agency ScholarshipsScholarships » Italy »
International Atomic Energy Agency – IAEA Scholarships
Sandwich Training Educational Programme ( STEP ), ICTP and its UN partner, the International Atomic Energy Agency ( IAEA ), offer fellowships to PhD students from developing countries in the fields of physics and mathematics.
STEP’s goal is to strengthen the scientific capability of young scientists and researchers from developing countries to better contribute and serve the scientific, technical, and economic development of their home countries. STEP fellowships enrich their doctoral studies by giving students access to ICTP’s and the IAEA’s international community and world-class research and training facilities.
STEP fellowship, PhD students study at their home universities but have the financial support to visit ICTP or a collaborating institute for a three- to six-month stay each year for up to three successive years. Fellows work on their PhD theses with their advisors at their home institutes and co-advisors at the hosting institutes. Their PhD is awarded at their home institutes.
Fellowships are awarded on the merit of a thesis project proposed by students and their home country advisors. The STEP fellow is assigned to an appropriate host institute with a designated co-advisor.
IAEA Scholarships Eligibility
Financial support is provided by thethrough the IAEA Technical Cooperation Fund. Candidates should be from an IAEA member state. The IAEA must receive an official endorsement for the fellow from the fellow’s country. Fields of research include:
- atomic and nuclear physics
- nuclear, isotope and laser techniques applied to:
- human health
- biotechnology and biophotonics
- water resources and environmental studies
- synchrotron radiation and applications
- medical radiation physics
OFID Fellowships : ICTP and the OPEC Fund for International Development ( OFID ) announce joint fellowships for research and training opportunities to PhD students in developing countries.
ICTP Fellowships : Fellowships are also provided by ICTP, within its scientific and technical competence, to candidates from developing countries in the fields listed below:
- condensed matter and statistical physics
- high energy physics
- earth system physics
- applied physics ( including micro- and nano-electronics, fluid dynamics )
IAEA Scholarships Application form
How to apply for a STEP fellowship
Applications are welcome from students in developing countries who are enrolled in a PhD course at their home university. PhD students who are supervised by an ICTP Associate are encouraged to apply.
The programme aims at an equitable participation of fellows, and therefore especially welcomes applications from woman scientists. Priority will be given to young researchers.
The online application windows are 15 December – 15 February and 15 June – 15 August for applications to be considered at the March and September meetings of the selection committee.
Applicants should complete the online form ( Part I ). Once this form is submitted with also the contact details ( email ) of the applicant’s PhD supervisor at the home institute, the home supervisor will receive a link to fill the second part of the application ( Part II ). Only complete applications with both online forms ( i.e., Part I & Part II ) submitted by the deadline will be considered.
Applications and supporting documentation are accepted during the two application windows only via the ICTP online application system. Applications, supporting documents and additional information arriving by other means ( email or regular post ) will not be considered.
The online application form requires the following information:
PART I – Candidate’s application
The online application comprises two parts where information must be entered:
- Student’s Profile – The first part is a profile of the applicant themselves. Once completed, it is saved (but may be updated whenever needed) and is thus available for all applications to ICTP.
- Student’s Application – Once the profile is completed the application for a STEP fellowship will become available. Students will be asked to:
- provide the title of their PhD project ( this could also be a thesis title );
- describe the research proposal or training programme to be supported by this fellowship (please note that the area of research must be of relevance to the list of sub fields as in the announcement of this programme ): this includes a summary of the research activity / project to be supported by this fellowship ( one page minimum ), reference to previous work / publications relevant to this project done by the applicants or his/her PhD supervisor and a time outline of the proposal including specific objectives to be achieved and dates;
- list any possible previous participation in IAEA activities;
- upload a copy of their English proficiency certificate in pdf format ( this can be any certificate or document, which gives proof of their ability to follow advanced level courses, to study and to write scientific articles in the English language );
- upload any other documentation ( strongly recommended ) to support their application, including suggestions for co-supervisor / host Institution(s) or a support letter from a potential co-supervisor.
Once the application is submitted, students will be asked to send the invitation to their PhD supervisor at their home institute. Their supervisor will receive an invitation email with a link to fill the second part of the application ( Part II ) along with the instructions on how to proceed with the application – including the deadline for the application. Applications without the Supervisor’s part won’t be considered.
Note that logging out of the system saves whatever information has been entered ( after clicking on the Save button ). While it is possible to make changes or additions at any time to the profile, the application form itself is closed immediately after the deadline and can be no longer modified ( it is however visible as a pdf file on your “Open applications” page ).
PART II – Home Supervisor’s part
This part comprises two sections where information must be entered:
- Home Supervisor’s Profile – The first section is a profile of the home supervisors themselves. Once completed, it is saved (but may be updated whenever needed) and is thus available for all applications to ICTP.
- Home Supervisor’s supporting information- Once the profile is completed the part regarding the student ( Fellow )’s application becomes available. The supervisors will be asked to:
- explain how the experience gained by the Fellow’s participation in the STEP fellowship will directly benefit scientific research at their Institute;
- provide specific information regarding potential European collaborators and institutes with expertise relevant to the Fellow’s research project;
- give a justification of the applicant´s research plan;
- provide a list of recent publications on ongoing research work;
- provide the titles of the Ph.D. theses already supervised in the last 5 years;
- upload a recommendation letter for the applicant’s participation in the programme.
For further information and application forms please contact:
CTP-IAEA Sandwich Training Educational Programme
c/o Postgraduate Diploma Programme
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera, 11
I-34151 Trieste, Italy
Ms. Sandra Alimanovic
LB Room A/bis
Telephone: +39 040 22 40 362
Telefax: +39 040 22 40 388
IAEA Scholarships Application deadline
- Application deadlines are – 15 February and 15 August.