NIT Sikkim 2015 PhD Admission
National Institute of Technology Sikkim,
Sikkim – 737 139.
Telephone No : +91 8116298090 / 09564739395,
Fax No : +91 03595 260042,
Website : www.nitsikkim.ac.in.
NIT Sikkim invites application from eligible candidates for admission to PhD Program for the academic year 2015 – 2016 ( January, 2016 session ).
NIT Sikkim 2015 PhD Programs :
NIT Sikkim Institute offers PhD program in the following departments / fields :
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences ( Economics and English )
Over and above the program in various disciplines, candidates are strongly encouraged to undertake PhD in interdisciplinary areas.
NIT Sikkim 2015 PhD Eligibility :
The general eligibility criterion for NIT Sikkim admission in all Departments / fields are given below. These eligibility conditions are the absolute minimum; Departments may prescribe any other requirements over and above the minimum criteria, subject to the approval of the Postgraduate Committee.
- Master degree in Engineering / Technology with a minimum of 70% marks or equivalent grade; ( OR )
- Master degree in Science with First class or minimum 55% marks or equivalent grade; ( OR )
- Bachelor degree in Engineering / Technology or equivalent, with minimum 75% marks or equivalent grade.
For SC / ST candidates a relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade will be considered.
For admission in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, candidates meeting the above requirement must also fulfill ONE of the following additional requirements :
- GATE / CEED score
- CSIR / UGC / NBHM / DBT/ DST award or Fellowship
- Minimum 1 year of professional work experience, for Sponsored ( FT02 / PT06 ), Self financed ( FT03/ PT07 ) categories, and Institute Staff of NIT Sikkim ( “Institute Staff” sub-category of PT05 )
- Minimum 6 months project work experience in the Institute, for Project Staff of NIT Sikkim.
Wherever the eligibility qualification is Master degree in Basic Sciences ( Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics ) or Humanities and Social Sciences ( Economics or English ), qualifying NET is must for getting Institute Fellowship as per letter F.No. 25-2/2010-TS.II dated 30.09.2010, and subsequent modifications which may be issued by MHRD from time to time.
In the Departments of Basic Sciences or Humanities and Social Sciences, candidates without a valid GATE / NET score, or without any of the awards such as CSIR / UGC / NBHM / DBT / DST may be considered for admission without any fellowship.
NIT Sikkim 2015 PhD Admission Criteria
NIT Sikkim Admission will be based on written examination and / or interview. The names of shortlisted candidates will be displayed on the Institute website along with the details and schedule of examination to be conducted by the Institute in association with respective Departments.
Important Notes :
- Separate NIT Sikkim application forms must be filled for courses offered by different departments along with the prescribed fee. However, separate fee is not to be paid for separate courses offered by the same department.
- No separate letter will be sent by the Institute for attending the test / interview / counselling. Candidates are advised to visit the University website : www.nitsikkims.ac.in for regular updates. Names of short listed candidates shall also be displayed on the Notice Board of the Departments.
- No candidate shall be considered for written examination / interview without the result of the qualifying examination. If selected, such candidates will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if he / she submits a certificate on the dated of written examination / interview from the Principal/ Registrar of his / her College / Institute stating that the candidate has completed all the requirements for obtaining the qualifying degree on the date of the issue of the certificate. However, mark sheet of qualifying examination with requisite marks or equivalent CGPA must be submitted to the office of the Assistant Dean ( Academic Affairs ) on or before the date of examination, failing which will lead to cancellation of admission.
NIT Sikkim 2015 PhD Application Form :
- Eligible candidates are required to download the application form from our Institute University website : www.nitsikkim.ac.in.
- Dully filled-in and signed application form along with a demand draft of 500/- ( 100/-for SC / ST) in favour of “Director, NIT Sikkim” payable at Ravangla, must reach the following address :
Assistant Dean ( Academic Affairs ),
National Institute of Technology Sikkim,
South Sikkim – 737 139.
- Applicant must also send a softcopy of the application to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Last date for submission of NIT Sikkim : 16th December, 2015.
- Candidates applying for more than one program in different departments have to apply on separate application forms, with a Demand Draft of 500/- ( 100/- for SC / ST ) for each program.
- NIT Sikkim incomplete applications or applications not reaching in time will not be considered for examination / interview. NIT Sikkim Institute will not be responsible for any postal or other of delay.