NIT Karnataka 2018 PhD & M Tech Admission
National Institute of Technology Karnataka invites a application for eligible candidates for admission to PhD & M Tech ( Research ) Programs for the academic year 2018 – 2019.
NIT Karnataka 2018 M Tech Eligibility
M Tech. Program ( common to all M Tech Programs )
- Admission to a M.Tech. Programme shall be open to Indian nationals who have passed the prescribed qualifying examination, Class X and Class XII / Diploma with a Cumulative Grade Point Average ( CGPA ) of at least 6.5 in the 0-10 scale grading system, or not less than 60% marks in the aggregate ( taking into account the marks scored in all the subjects of all the public / university examinations conducted during the entire prescribed period for the degree programme ).
- However, this prescribed minimum shall be a CGPA of 6.0 OR 55% marks in the aggregate for SC / ST / PwD candidates.
- The allotment of seats for scholarship category is done based on GATE score and the admission process will coordinated by NITK Surathkal. The seat allotment for M.Tech–2018 admissions will be done through CCMT-2018 by NIT Delhi.
Types of student status for M Tech program
- Full-time student on GATE – scholarship
- Full-time sponsored student under QIP
- Full-time sponsored student from Industry / other organizations / Educational Institutions.
- Full-time non-sponsored non-scholarship student.
- Internal Registrants – Sponsored staff of NITK or Project staff of NITK
M Tech ( Research ) Program [ common to all M Tech ( Research ) Programs ]
- Admission to a M.Tech. ( Research ) Programme shall be open to Indian nationals who have passed the prescribed qualifying examination, Class X and Class XII / Diploma with a Cumulative Grade Point Average ( CGPA ) of at least 6.5 in the 0-10 scale grading system, or not less than 60% marks in the aggregate ( taking into account the marks scored in all the subjects of all the public / university examinations conducted during the entire prescribed period for the degree programme ).
- However, this prescribed minimum shall be a CGPA of 6.0 OR 55% marks in the aggregate for SC / ST / PwD candidates. Valid GATE score is essential for scholarship seats
There are four types of student status in the M. Tech ( Research ) Degree Programme.
- Full time student on GATE scholarship.
- Full time non-sponsored, non-scholarship student.
- Full time student sponsored from Industry or other organisation.
- External Registrants – Student Sponsored from Industry or other Organizations.
External Registrants are expected to carry – out their research work in their parent organisation after fulfilling certain prerequisites in the Institute. They are not entitled for Institute scholarship. The external candidate shall produce a sponsorship certificate from his employer and submit it along with the application. A minimum of one semester residential requirement is to be completed by all external registrants. External registrants need to have an additional Research Guide from the sponsoring organisation.
|Civil Engg.||Structural Engg.||i ) B.E. / B.Tech / B.Sc. ( Engg. ) in Civil Engineering / Structural Engineering of any Recognised Indian Universities.
ii ) AMIE in Civil Engineering.
|Civil Engg.||Geotechnical Engg.||i) B.E. / B.Tech / B.Sc. ( Engg. ) in Civil Engineering of any Recognised Indian Universities.
ii) AMIE in Civil Engineering.
|Civil Engg.||Environmental Engg.||i ) B.E. / B.Tech / B.Sc. ( Engg. ) in Civil Engineering / Chemical / Mechanical / Metallurgical / Mining Engg / Environmental Engg / Bio-Chemical Engg. / Bio- Technology / Agricultural Engg / Biological Science and Bio-Engg / Bio-Sciences &Bio-Engg / Bio-Tech Engg. / Bio Technology & Bio-Chemical Engineering / Chemical &Bio Engineering / Chemical Technology / Civil & Water Management / Civil Engg (Public Health Engg ) / Civil Environmental Engg / Environment & Pollution Control / Environmental Science & Engg. / Environment Science and Technology Health Science & Water Engg / Mining Technology / Paper & pulp Engg. / Pulp Technology / Sugar Technology / Water Management / Bio- Engg / Chemical & Bio Engg/Bio-Chemical & Biotechnology Engg.
ii ) AMIE in Civil Engg. / Chemical Engineering
iii ) MSc in Applied Chemistry / Earth Sciences / Environmental Sciences /Industrial Chemistry / Life Science/Bio-Chemistry / Bio -Technology
|Civil Engg.||Transportation Engg.||i ) B.E. / B.Tech / B.Sc.( Engg. ) in Civil Engineering / Highway Engg / Transportations Engg / Civil & Transportation Engg. / Civil & Transportation Technology of any recognised Indian University
ii) AMIE in Civil Engg.
|Civil Engg.||Construction Technology and Management||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Sc ( Engg. ) in Civil Engg. / Civil Engg & Planning /Construction & Project Management / Construction Engg. / Construction Engg. Management / Construction Technology / Construction Technology and Management / Mining Engineering / Transportation Engineering / Environmental Engg / Structural Engg. of any recognized Indian University.
ii ) AMIE in Civil / Mining Engineering.
iii ) Bachelors degree in Architecture ( B.Arch. / B.E. or B.Tech. in Architecture of any recognized Indian University ).
|Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics||Marine Structures||i ) B.E. / B.Tech in Civil Engg. / B. Sc ( Civil Engg ) / B.E / B.Tech Ocean Engg.
ii ) AMIE in Civil Engineering
|Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics||Water Resources Engg. and Management||i) B.E. / B.Tech in Civil Engg / B. Sc ( Civil Engg )
ii ) BE Water Management
iii ) AMIE in Civil Engineering
|Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics.||Remote Sensing & Geographic Information Systems||i ) B.E. / B. Tech or B.Sc ( Engg. ) in Civil, Mining, Environmental Engg., Transportation Engg., Geo informatics
ii ) AMIE in Civil Engineering
|Mechanical Engg.||Thermal Engg.||B.E. / B.Tech. / AMIE in Mechanical Engg. / Automobile Engg. / Aeronautical Engg. / Aerospace Engg / Energy System Engg / Marine Technology / Power Plant Engg / Renewable Energy Engg.|
|Mechanical Engg.||Manufacturing Engineering||B.E. / B.Tech. / AMIE in Mechanical Engg. / Industrial Engg. / Industrial and Production Engg. / Industrial Engg. and Management / Manufacturing Engg./ Production Engg / tool Engg.|
|Mechanical Engg.||Mechatronics Engg||i ) B.E / B. Tech/ AMIE in Mechanical Engineering
ii ) B.E / B. Tech / AMIE in Electronics & Comm. Electrical & Electronics, Instrumentation. Control Engg / Electronics & Instrumentation Engg. B.E / B. Tech / AMIE in Mechatronics / Industrial Production / Production Engg / Manufacturing Engg / Industrial Engg / Aeronautical Engg, Automobile Engg,.
|Mechanical Engg.||Design and Precision Engg.||B.E / B. Tech / AMIE in Mechanical Engineering, Automobile Engg, Manufacturing Engg., Aeronautical Engg. / Aerospace Engg.|
|Electronics & Communication Engg.||VLSI Design||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Sc. ( Engg. ) in E & C, Electronics and Telecommunications / Instrumentation Technology / E & E / Computer Science & Engg. / Electronics / Telecommunication / Electronics & Control Engg.
ii ) AMIETE ( Electronics & Telecommunication )
|Electronics & Communication Engg.||Communication Engg.||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Sc. ( Engg. ) in E & C, Electronics & Telecommunications.
ii ) AMIETE ( Electronics & Telecommunication )
|Chemical Engg.||Chemical Plant Design||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. in Chemical Engg / Polymer Technology / Ceramic and Cement Technology / Bio-Chemical Engg. / Biotechnology / Petrochemical Engg
ii ) AMIE ( Chemical Engg. ) / A.M.I.I.Ch.E.
|Chemical Engg.||Industrial Pollution Control||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. in Chemical Engg / Mechanical / Mining Engg. / Polymer Technology / Ceramic and Cement Technology / Environmental Engg. / Bio-Chemical Engg. / Biotechnology / Petrochemical Engg.
ii ) AMIE ( Chemical Engg. ) / A.M.I.I.Ch.E.
|Chemical Engg.||Industrial Biotechnology||i ). B.E. / B.Tech. in Biotechnology
ii ). B.E. / B.Tech. in Chemical Engg.
iii ). B.E. / B.Tech. in Biochemical Engg
iv ). M.Sc. in Biotechnology.
|Metallurgical & Materials Engg.||Process Metallurgy||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Sc.( Engg. ) in Metallurgical Engineering / Industrial & Production Engg / Metallurgy / Metallurgical & Materials Engg. / Metallurgical Engg & Materials Science / Metallurgical & Materials Technology / Mechanical Engg / Chemical Engg / Production Engineering / Ceramics Engineering.
ii ) AMIE in Metallurgical Engg. / Mechanical Engg. ( by Examination )
iii ). Associate Member of the Indian Institute of Metals ( by examination ) -A.M.I.I.M.
iv ). M.Sc. Chemistry ( Physical / Analytical / Industrial / Applied Inorganic )
v ). M.Sc. ( Materials Science )
vi ). Master Degree in Mineral Beneficiation / Mineral Processing / Ore Dressing.
|Metallurgical & Materials Engg.||Materials Engg||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Sc Engg. in Metallurgy / Mechanical Engg. / Chemical Engg. / Industrial Production / Polymer Technology / Ceramic & Cement Technology / Manufacturing Engg. / Industrial & Production Engg / Metallurgical & Materials Engg. / Metallurgical Engg. / Metallurgical Engg & Materials Science / Polymer Science & Technology / Polymer Science & Rubber Technology / Metallurgy & Materials Technology / Production Engineering.
ii ) AMIE in Mechanical / Metallurgical Engg. by examn.
iii ) AMIIM (by examination) of Indian Institute of Metals.
iv ) M.Sc (Materials Science / Physics / Chemistry ( Physical / Analytical / Industrial / Applied / Inorganic )
|Metallurgical & Materials Engg.||Nanotechnology||i ) M. Sc. In Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Bio-Technology. Nanoscience / Nanotechnology
ii ) B. Tech / AMIE in Civil, Mechanical, E & E, E & C, Instrumentation, Chemical, Metallurgy, Mining Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering.
iii ) Associate member of the Indian Institute of Metals ( by examination ) – AMIIM.
|Electrical & Electronics Engg||Power and Energy Systems||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. / B. Sc ( Engg ) in Electrical Engg. or Electrical & Electronics Engg.
ii ) AMIE in Electrical Engg.
|Information Technology||Information Technology||i ) B.E. / B.Tech. in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Science & Engineering, Computer Science & Information Technology, Computer Technology, Information Technology, Computer & Communication Engineering, Computer Engineering & Application, Computer Networking, Computer Science & Systems Engineering, Computer Science & Technology, Computing in Computing, Computing in Multimedia, Computing in Software, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Information & Communication Technology, Information Engineering, Information Science, Information Science & Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Information Science & Technology, Information Technology and Engineering
ii ) AMIE in Computer Science & Engineering ( by Examination )
iii ) AMIETE in Computer Science & Engineering and Information Technology ( by Examination )
|Computer Science and Engg.||Computer Science & Engg||B.E. / B.Tech. in Computer Science / Engg., Computer Science & Engg, Information Science & Engg / Technology, Information Science, Information Engg. & Information Technology.|
|Computer Science and Engg.||Computer Science & Engg. - Information|
|B.E. / B.Tech. in Computer Science / Engg., Computer Science & Engg, Information Science & Engg / Technology, Information Science, Information Engg. & Information Technology.|
|Mathematical & Computational|
|Computational Mathematics||B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Sc ( Engg. ) any branch; M.Sc. ( Mathematics ), M.Sc.( Statistics ), M.Sc. ( Physics ) M.C.A. ( Master of Computer Applications )|
- Admission to a Ph.D. Programme shall be open to Indian Nationals who passed the qualifying degree in relevant field with a Cumulative Grade Point Average ( CGPA ) of at least 6.0 in the 0-10 scale grading system, or not less than 60% marks in the aggregate ( taking into account the marks scored in all the subjects of all the public / university examinations conducted during the entire prescribed period for the qualifying degree ). However, this prescribed minimum shall be a CGPA of 5.5 or 55% marks in the aggregate for SC / ST / PwD candidates. The prescribed qualifying examination is as follows
- For PhD in Engineering / Technology – Master’s degree in relevant field.
- For PhD in Physics – Master’s degree in relevant field
- For PhD in Chemistry – M.Sc. / M. Tech in relevant field including M. Pharma and MCA.
- For PhD in Humanities, Social Science & Management – Master degree in relevant field, CA along with undergraduate degree.
- If the evaluation system in qualifying degree is in both CGPA and Marks, CGPA value will be considered. Also Conversion from Grade point system to Percentage system will not be considered
- Only those applicants having Post-Graduate Degree in Basic Sciences / Social Sciences / Humanities / Management / Engineering / Technology with valid NET / GATE score are eligible for admission to full-time PhD programme with Institute Scholarship ( As per 43rd Senate Meeting dated 15th September, 2017 vide Item No. 43.3.10 ( 2 ) )
- Employed professionals having experience and proven competence aspiring for Ph.D. Programme will be considered under External Registration and will be allowed to pursue their research at their own location of work.
- There are five types of student status for Ph.D. program
- Full-time students on Institute Scholarship
- Full-time sponsored students under QIP
- Full-time / External Registrants – sponsored from Industry or other organizations including Educational Institutions.
- Full-time / External Registrants non sponsored non-scholarship students
- Internal Registrants – sponsored staff of NITK
Specializations in Ph.D. Programme
- Structures, Geotechnical, Transportation, Construction Technology and Management Environment, Earth Sciences
Applied Mechanics & Hydraulics
- Water Resources Engg & Management, Marine Structures & Coastal Engg., RS & GIS Applications.
- Renewable Energy, Alternative Fuels, IC Engine & Combustion, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, Heat Transfer, Fluid Dynamics, Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue, FEM, Stress Analysis, Tribology, Machine Dynamics and Vibration, Advanced Materials, Advanced Manufacturing, Mechatronics, MEMS, Nanotechnology, Robotics and Control, Product Design, Structural Acoustics, Polymer Nano- Composites, Precision Manufacturing
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Adaptive and Distributed Signal Processing for Sensing and Image Applications; Control System; Electrical Machines and Machine Diagnosis; High Voltage Engineering and Field Computations; Power Electronics and Drives; Power Systems; Renewable Energy Technologies; Smart Grid Technologies
Electronics & Communication
- Communication / VLSI / Signal Processing
- Process Development, Particulate Systems, Environmental Engineering, Transfer Operations, Industrial Biotechnology, Energy, Modelling and Simulation, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Nanosciences / Nanotechnology, Polymer nanocomposites, Process dynamics and control
Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Physical Metallurgy, Mechanical Metallurgy, Extractive Metallurgy, Minerals Beneficiation, Welding, Surface Engineering, Corrosion, Composites and Nanocomposites, Nanofibers, Thin films & coating, Advanced Materials, Heat transfer studies
- Rock Mechanics & Ground Control Engineering, Drilling & Blasting, Mine Planning, Environmental Management
- Condensed Matter Physics ( Experimental )
- Inorganic, Materials, Physical and Organic Chemistry
Humanities, Social Sciences & Management
- Business Policy, International Business, Technology Management, Organizational Behaviour, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Corporate Finance, Capital Markets, Behavioural Finance, Development Economics, International Economics, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development, Applied Econometrics, Operations Management, Information Systems, E-Governance, English and Comparative Literature, and Other related areas.
Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Computational Fluid Dynamics , Wireless Sensor Networks, Reliability Engineering, Graph Theory, Graph Algorithms, Computer Network Security, Real Analysis, Dynamical Systems, Image Processing, Differential Equations, Numerical Methods. Algebra, Number Theory, Cryptography, Functional Analysis, Spectral Analysis, Cloud Computing
- Affective Computing, Big Data Analysis, Cloud Security, Computer Networks, Cyber Security, Databases, Data Mining, Distributed Computing, Healthcare Informatics, High Performance Computing, Information Retrieval, Information Security, Internet of Things, Natural Language Processing, Network Security, Semantic Web Technology, Social Multimedia / Social Network Analysis, Web Services, Wireless Sensor Networks.
Computer Science and Engg.
- Computer Networks, Software Engineering, Distributed Computing, Data Mining, Information Security, High Performance Computing, Computer Vision, Cloud Computing, Image Processing, Speech Processing, Mobile computing
NITK M.Tech Application Form 2018
How to apply
- Online Application portal for admission to M Tech ( Sponsored / Research ) and PhD programmes is available on the Institute website www.nitk.ac.in.
- The applicants need to register online with the portal.
- Last date for submission of application form is 02nd June, 2018.
- Candidates sponsored by the Educational Institutions / Industries must get their applications forwarded through proper channel.
- Applications which are incomplete / defective / received late are liable to be rejected summarily and no correspondence will be entertained on such applications.
- The registered candidates have to complete Online Application form and pay prescribed application fee, i.e. 500 ( OC / OBC ) and 150 ( SC / ST ) through SBI e-Collect.
- The hardcopy of the completed application form with payment receipts and copy of necessary documents is to be sent to the following address
the Assistant Registrar ( Academic ),
National Institute of Technology Karnataka,
Mangalore – 575 025, Karnataka.
- If a candidate desires to apply to more than one course [ M. Tech ( Sponsored / Research ) / Department ( PhD ] he / she should submit separate online application along with Payment Receipt of Application fee for each program. Candidates called for interview will have to appear for written test and / or interview at their own cost. The written test and / or interview will be held at N.I.T.K., Surathkal.
NIT Karnataka 2018 M Tech & PhD Selection Process
Common Admission for M.Tech Fulltime Program ( for scholarship seats ) by NIT Surat
- Admission for GATE qualified candidates will be done through CCMT-2018 coordinated by NIT Surat. The seats are allotted based on GATE score. The details of seat matrix, application procedure etc can be found at www.ccmt.nic.in.
Admission for M.Tech ( Non-scholarship ), M.Tech ( Sponsored seats ), M.Tech ( Research )
- The admission for M.Tech ( Non-scholarship ), M.Tech ( Sponsored Seats ), M.Tech ( Research ) are done by NITK Surathkal.
M.Tech. ( Non-Scholarship )
- The non-scholarship seats for M.Tech program are the vacant seats existing in the scholarship category seats. Selection of candidates for admission will be based on academic performance in qualifying examination or / and written aptitude test or / and Interview etc as decided by the DPGC of the Concerned Department offering the programme to be advertised in the Institute website later after completion of CCMT – 2018.
M.Tech. ( Sponsored )
- Selection of candidates for admission will be based upon academic performance in qualifying examination or / and written aptitude test or / and Interview etc as decided by the DPGC of the Concerned Department offering the programme. The candidates must have minimum of two years of fulltime work experience in the sponsoring organization after completion of qualifying degree.
M.Tech. ( Research )
- Selection of candidates for admission will be based upon GATE score or in some of the programmes selection will be based on at least 70% weightage to GATE score and the remaining 30% weightage to academic performance in qualifying examination or / and written aptitude test or / and Interview etc as decided by the DPGC of the Concerned Department offering the programme.
- Selection of candidates for admission to Ph. D. programme will be based upon the academic performance in the qualifying examinations, written aptitude test, presentation on a research topic and interview as specified by the concerned departments
NIT Karnataka PhD & MTech Important Dates 2018
|1||Last Date for receiving completed applications||30th May, 2018|
|2||Applications to be sent to the Departments for processing, on or before||04th June, 2018|
|3||Preparing preliminary merit-list or short-listing||07th June, 2018|
|4||Last date for dispatch of call letters to short-listed candidates, and announcement in the website by respective departments.||08th June, 2018|
|5||Selection Test and / or Interview||25th & 26th June, 2018|
|6||Last date for sending Recommended list to the office of Dean ( Academic )||28th June, 2018|
|7||Publication of provisional selection / merit-list on website by Dean ( Academic )||02nd July, 2018|
|8||Last date for Sending admission orders / letters||03rd July, 2018|
|9||Reporting Dates for Selection-List Candidates||09th - 13th July, 2018|
|10||Last Date for sending admission orders / letters to waiting-list candidates||17th July, 2018|
|11||Last Date for Reporting, for waiting-list candidates||23rd July, 2018|
|12||Classes begin||18th July, 2018|
National Institute of Technology Karnataka
Asst. Registrar ( Academic ),
National Institute of Technology Karnataka,
Mangalore -575 025, Karnataka State.
Telephone No : 2474000-2474023
Fax No : 91-824-2474033