Forest Ranger CareerCareer Course »
Career as Forest Ranger
In the back drop of environmental degradation being a prime cause of concern world over, the forestry sector now, has a significant role to play in balancing the ecosystem.
People have now waken to the reality that issues like global warming, deforestation, global climatic change, water scarcity, natural disasters, etc, are all related to the effective and controlled use of forest wealth.
If you have a real interest in caring and protecting the natural forestry, birds, animals then a career in forestry as a forest ranger is most suitable for you. Forest ranger is a person who is not only in charge of the Forest but also performs executive, supervisory, and protective functions of the range.
He is trained to handle many of the situations that may arise in the forest. He supervises the work of timber extraction, camp organization, survey, road and tramline aligning constructions, regeneration survey, plantation, nursery, conversion of timber in mill, timber disposal, timber export, depot organization, marking, enumeration and other preliminary works.
Forest Ranger Eligibility Criteria
Age Limit for Forest Ranger : Candidates between 18 years and 30 years of age are eligible to apply. The age limit varies from state to state.
Forest Ranger Qualification : A candidate interested in becoming a forest ranger should possess degree in natural sciences, pure mathematics, geology, statistics, mechanical / civil / chemical engineering or agriculture.
The competitive exam has compulsory subjects which are general knowledge and English. The candidate also has to select two of the optional subjects from the various subject options given by different states.
The candidates also have to get through some of the physical standards like height of the candidate should be around 163 cms, chest 79 cm normal and expandable upto 5 cms. For the walking test the candidate has to cover 25 kms in 4 hours. The parameters may differ from state to state.
The respective state / union territory governments are responsible for management of the cadre of forest range officers. Selection of forest range officers is done by the state public service commission by conducting a competitive exam.
Forest Ranger Selection Criteria
Plan of Forest Ranger Examination
The Forest Ranger Competitive Examination, to be conducted by the Staff Public Service Commission, shall comprise the following, namely :
Forest Ranger written test shall be in two stages as given below, i.e., Preliminary Examination for Compulsory Subjects and Main Examination for Optional Subjects :
Forest Ranger Preliminary Examination in the following subjects in one paper, viz :
- General Knowledge
- General English
|Schedule of Counselling Phase II for BAMS Courses June, 2016||BAMS||25||Rank 01 - 500||Uttaranchal Ayurvedic College Dehradun|
|25||Patanjali Ayurvedic College Roorkee|
|25||Himalyayi Ayurvedic College Majri Grant|
The standard of tests in respect of General Knowledge, General English and Mathematics for the Preliminary Examination shall be as under :.
Forest Ranger Physical Fitness
Candidates, who qualify in the written test ( Main Examination ), shall conform to the following physical standard and test as required under the Orissa Forest Service, Class II ( Recruitment and Conditions of Service ) Rules, 1984 as amended from time to time.
- Minimum standards for height and chest girth for a candidate shall be as under :
Registration Course Rank Timings Venue June, 2016 BAMS Rank 01 - 500 8.00 AM to 10.00 AM Administrative Block, SGRR Medical College Patel Nagar, Dehradun
- Male candidates and female candidates must pass a physical test covering a distance of 25 Kms and 16 Kms respectively within four hours on foot.
Forest Ranger Job Prospects
This is a challenging job option which demands physical fitness as well as mental alertness. The incumbent starts as forest ranger. After some time the candidate is promoted as assistant conservator of forests.
Institutes Offering Forest Ranger Career Courses
Indian Council of Forestry Research & Education
P.O. New Forests,
dehradun – 248 006.
Phone No. : 91 – 135 – 628614,
Website : http://www.icfre.org.
Indian Institute of Forest Management
P.O. Box – 357,
Bhopal – 462003, India.
Phone No. : +91 – 755 – 2775716, 2773799,
Fax No. : +91 – 755 – 2772878,
Website : www.iifm.ac.in.
Note : Besides the above institutes, the following agricultural universities of India also offer courses in forestry, forestry education and its research.
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.
- Ch. Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University Hisar, Haryana.
- Chaudhary Sarwan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences And Technology, Srinagar
- Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana – Punjab
- Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture & Technology, Udaipur
- Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture & Technology, Distt Udham Singh Nagar Uttaranchal
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Rajendranagar Hyderabad – 500 030 Andhra Pradesh
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka
- Kerala Agricultural University, Kerala
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Tamil Nadu
- Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar
- West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Orissa
- Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Cooch Behar, West Bengal
- Gujarat Agricultural University, Gujarat
- Maharashtra Animal & Fishery Sciences University, Seminary Hills Nagpur Maharashtra
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.