Career in Operations Management
Career in Operations Management
Operations Management ( OM ) deals with the Design and Management of Products, Processes, Services and Supply Chains.
It covers a wide range of decisions that companies have to make, such as Capacity Planning, Forecasting, Product Design, Process Selection, Technology Selection, Design of Facilities and Jobs, Management of the Supply Chain, Project Management, Inventory Management, Maintenance Management and Quality Management.
- To lead and manage business processes & utilize the power of technology for all business applications.
- Developing consulting competency in ERP ( SAP R / 3 & SCM ).
- Developing planning, organizing and time management skills.
- To develop a vision to foresee the range of possibilities and providing solutions.
- to develop a flexible approach towards making adjustments and corrections in the case of misunderstandings and mistakes.
- Analyze an organization’s processes; manage processes to create better public value.
- Constructing a High Performance Manufacturing Cost Strategy.
- Improving production effectiveness.
- Reducing production cycle times.
- Eliminating non – moving Work – in – Process ( WIP ).
- Eliminating defects and scrap and rework costs.
Different Avenues for Career Options
The graduates with qualifications in Operations Management have various avenues for career in the following areas :
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Institutions
- Information Technology
- Transportation and Logistics
Potential Areas of Opportunities :
The specific areas where the Operations Management graduates have opportunities to contribute and offer their services are :
- Customer Service Support
- Distribution and Supply Chain Management
- Inventory Planning and Control
- Operations Planning, Scheduling and Control
- Purchasing and Materials Management
- Project Management
- Process and Methods Planning
- Plant Engineering Management
- Quality Management
- Operations Process Consulting
- Traffic Management
- Warehouse Management and Distribution
Institutions Offering Courses :
- Operational Research Society of India ( ORSI )
- Indian Institutes of Technology ( IITs )
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and Indian Institute of Management Lukhnow
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management ( SIOM ) – Pune
- MBA departments of various Universities and autonomous institutes in different states.
- Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad offering Management Development Programs ( MDPs ) in Operations Management.
- IIM Ahmedabad offering One Year Post Graduate Program in Management for Executives with specializations in Operations Management.
- Asian Institute of Management ( AIM ) Makati City, Philippines offers MBA Program with specializations in Operations Management.
Various Online Courses Offered :
Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Massachusetts offers Operations Management Courses. Also American Inter Continental University Online offers Online Operations Management Degree Programs of Bachelor’s of Business Administration in Operations Management and Master’s of Business Administration in Operations Management, accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Devry offers Technology – based, Career – Oriented Bachelor Degree in Business Administration / Operations Management Online Operations Management Degree Program : Devry University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA).
Villanova University, offers several Professional Certificate Programs online to be completed in 8, 10 or 16 weeks, depending on the specific certificate programs. Villanova University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Baker College Online offers the online manufacturing master’s degree program in Master of Business Administration – Industrial Management consisting of both core MBA Courses and of specific “Manufacturing – Oriented” Courses.
Davenport University offers the online manufacturing degree in Bachelor of Business Administration / Management / Manufacturing Management Speciality. Davenport University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools ( NCA ). Eastern Michigan University offers the online master’s degree in quality in Master of Science – Quality Concentration, accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Lawrence Technological University ( LTU ), Michigan, United States and the University of Mysore have joined together to offer Online Courses in Operations Management. Master of Science in Operations Management ( MSOM ) degree can be completed in 18 months offers concentrations in Manufacturing Operations, Service Operations and Project Management.
The MSOM degree combines real – life learning with a strong theoretical knowledge base in both operations and high – level management. The Program is designed for working professionals in such fields as manufacturing, construction, health care, technology services, retail sales, non – profit services, and government service who are seeking to enhance their skills in the management of capital, technological and human resources.
Admission Procedure :
Admission to MBA Programs offered by IIMs is administered by CAT – CET examination followed by personal interview.
All other institutes offering regular Post Graduate Diploma / Degree Courses are conducting their own CET followed by personal interview. The interested students are advised to contact respective institutes before taking admission.
The courses in Operations Management give participating students the knowledge, skills and experience – based education with a blend of technology and management skills.
Majority of world’s businesses operate globally through – global markets, global operations, global financing and global supply chains. Thus the arrival of global market place has drastically increased international trade and the logistics operations to support it.