Physiotherapy means Physiotherapeutic System of Medicine which includes Examination, Treatment Advice and Instructions to any person preparatory to or for the purpose of or in connection with Movement Dysfunction, Bodily Malfunction, Physical Disorder, Disability, Healing and Pain from Trauma and Disease, and Mental Conditions using Physical Agents including Exercises, Mobilization, Manipulation, Mechanical and Electrotherapy, Activity and Devices or Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention.
The Physiotherapists Skills are many times required in the Health Care Team in most disciplines in Medicine including Surgery, Neurology, Orthopedics, Gynecology, Obstetrics, Dermatology, ENT, Cardio Thoracic, Vascular Surgery, Burns, Plastic Surgery, Pediatrics, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine, etc.
Purpose of Physiotherapy :
The purpose of Physiotherapy is to decrease Body Dysfunctions, Reduce Pain caused either by Trauma, Inflammation, Degeneration and Surgery.
The various conditions in which physiotherapy is useful are as follows :
- After correct and firmly management of a fracture, return to normal function is possible with simple methods of physiotherapy. It allows for regain of full joint movements and muscles power after healing of a fracture.
- In joints and soft tissue injury rapid repair of damaged tissue occurs with quick reduction of pain and swelling.
- Restoration of full joint movements with reduction of pain and deformity is possible in various kinds of joint diseases like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis juvenile arthritis etc.
- In degenerative disease of spine, physiotherapy arrests the progress of disease as in cervical spondylosis, ankylosing spondylosis. Suitable arthroses are also provided for giving support to spine. It also has a major role to play congenital disease of spine like spina – bifida.
- Chest physiotherapy has a vital role to play in medical and surgical conditions like bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive lungs disease, pneumothorax but also surgical procedures involving spine, pelvis, extremities and abdomen.
- In hemiplegia or paraplegia physiotherapy greatly helps the patient to gradually increase his mobility.
- In children physiotherapy is assuming real importance in children with cerebral palsy, spina-bifida, clubfoot, muscular dystrophy etc.
- It easies labor and return to normal after delivery. It is also useful in gynecological problems like incontinence, prolepses of uterus, pelvis inflammatory disease.
- Sports Medicine : A physiotherapist is mandatory for any sport event. He maintains the fitness of sports person and provides first aid in case of various sports injuries.
The aims of Physiotherapy Education are :
- To produce the Physiotherapists with basic Knowledge and Skill.
- To enable them to recognize the Disease, Traumatic, Physical and Mental Conditions affecting Health.
- Take steps to prevent such Diseases.
- To treat such Diseases Scientifically.
- To be able to recognize and referred patients for the timely Intervention of Other Healthcare Professional specialized in the Area of Investigation and Skilled Treatment.
- Must be capable of undertaking further study and advancing the knowledge and be able with further Training to undertake Teaching, Research and Practice.
Scope of Physiotherapy :
Physical Therapists Practiced in :
- Nursing Homes
- Residential Homes / Rehabilitation Centers
- Private Offices / Private Practices / Private Clinics.
- Out – Patient Clinics
- Community Health Care Centers / Primary Health Care Centers
- Fitness Centers / Health Clubs
- Occupational Health Centers
- Special Schools
- Senior Citizen Centers
- Sports Centers
- Foreign Countries
- Public Settings ( e.g. Shopping Malls )
Bachelor of Physiotherapy / B.Sc. ( Hons. ) Physical Therapy
- Duration : 4½ Year ( including Internship )
- Eligibility for Admission : Inter Science with Biology more than 50% Marks.
- Process of Admission : Through Entrance Test. Entrance test will be held in April or May.
- Age : Not less than 17 Years.
Master in Physiotherapy ( M.P.T. )
- Duration : 2 Years
- Eligibility : B.P.T. ( 4½ Year )
- Specialty : Neurology, Orthopedic / Musculoskeletal, Sports, Cardiothoracic and Rehabilitation.
- Commencement of the Course : The course will be commencing from the 1st April, every Year.