AMIE IEI ECE SyllabusEngineering Entrance Exam » AMIE »
AMIE Electronics and Communication Engineering Syllabus 2021
- Blasting techniques of BJT and FETs; Bias stability; Self – bias, hybrid II model of BJT and ‘high frequency response.
- Single stage amplifiers – bipolar amplifiers, CE, CB, CC configurations, characteristics, gain, h – parameters, analysis using h – parameters. FET amplifiers.
- Multistage amplifiers – classification, distortion, frequency response, step response, RCcoupled amplifiers, transformer coupled amplifiers.
- Feedback amplifiers – concept, gain with feedback, negative feedback – example of Boot strapped CE amplifier, advantages and limitations, input and output impedance; voltageseries, voltage – shunt, current – series, current – shunt feedback amplifiers.
- Stability and oscillators – condition of oscillation, sinusoidal oscillator, phase shift oscillator, resonant circuit oscillator, Wein bridge oscillator, crystal oscillator, stability of frequency. Operational amplifiers – differential amplifiers, transfer characteristics, IC op – amp functions, frequency response, step response; introduction to analog computer.
- Power amplifiers – class A, B, AB, C amplifiers. Distortion, efficiency, push – pull principle, power supply half wave, full wave, ripple factors, filters, regulation.
- Introduction, binary numbers, binary codes.
- Boolean algebra – functions and expressions, gates – OR, AND, NOT, NOR, NAND, De Morgan’s theorem, laws and theorems.
- Minimization of logical functions – Karnaugh map.
- Arithmetic circuits – Ex – OR gate, half adder, full adder, subtraction, code conversion, etc. Basic gate structures – RTL, DTL, Tll.., ECL, MOS, CMOS.
- Flip – flops – RS, T, RST, D, JK, Schmidt trigger, astable, monostable : Counter techniques – Ripple counter, parallel counter.
- BCD counter, synchronous counter, ring counter.
- Shift registers, memory.
- D/A and A/D converters.
Design of Electronic Devices and Circuits
- Introduction to linear ICs : Operational amplifiers and their basic applications; audio / radio / video ICs and their specifications.
- Power supplies : Rectifiers, filters and electronic stabilization circuits, considerations regarding ripple, regulation and efficiency, short circuit protection; polyphase rectifiers, electronic converters, applications in industry. Introduction to UPS.
- IC voltage regulators : Positive and negative voltage regulators, adjustable voltage regulators, high current short circuit protected regulators, dual tracking regulations, programmable supply, current regulators, witching regulators, fold back current limited and shutdown Circuits.
- Amplifiers : Inverting amplifiers, non – inverting amplifiers, differential amplifiers, integrator and differentiator, logarithmic amplifiers and multipliers, filters, voltage to frequency converters, sample and hold circuit, high input impedance amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, sensing amplifiers and comparators, zero crossing detector.
- Oscillators : Expression for oscillation frequency and conditions for maintenance of oscillations, sine wave oscillators, multivibrators, function generators, voltage controlled oscillators, crystal oscillators.
- Communication circuits : RF and IF amplifiers, video amplifiers, AM detectors, balanced modulators and demodulators, phase locked loop, FM demodulation, frequency shift keying, frequency multiplication.
- Digital systems : Frequency counters, A/D and D/A converters, digital voltmeters, programmable digital generators, frequency synthesizer. Design of ALU.
Broadcast and Television Engineering
- Microphones, loudspeaker recording and reproduction of sound—disc, tape, film recording, playback system. High fidelity equipment for reproduction of sound. Loudspeaker enclosures and baffles. Stereophonic sound system.
- Studios and auditorium : Theory of reverberation, its limitation, measurement and adjustment. Acoustic materials, design considerations of broadcasting studios and auditorium.
- Broadcast transmitters—master oscillators, frequency multiplier, high and low level modulation system. Class A, AB, and C power amplifiers, feeder lines.
- Block diagram and principles of amplitude modulated and frequency modulated transmitters. Studio equipment and control room apparatus. OB equipment and receiving centre’s facilities.
- Superhetrodyne receiver, communication receiver. Intermediate frequency, image frequency. Receiver characteristics and measurement. Design considerations of modern broadcast transmitters and receivers. Transmitting and receiving antennas. FM transmitters and receivers.
- Television system and standards—FCC and CCIR – B standards and their comparison.
- Theory of scanning – progressive scanning, interlaced scanning. Video bandwidth.
- Composite video signal – Hoz, Sync, hoz. blanking, equalizing pulses, serrations, block diagram of sync, generator.
- Television pick – up cubes and cameras – vidicon, plumbicon, saticon, etc., CCD image sensors, picture tube, output coupling circuit.
- Television broadcast studio facilities, block diagram of television transmitter. Digital television.
- Design considerations of transmitter and receiver. Feeder line, Balun, diplexer, vestigial side band filters. Transmitter – receiver relationship, RA and TA system. Transmitting and receiving antennas.
- Block diagram of intercarrier type television receiver, RF tuner, mixer and 10 – circuit design. Sync, separator. IF amplifier characteristics and design. Trap circuit.
- Elements of colour television, colour vector diagram, colour difference signal, I,Q,Y signals and their bandwidths. Colour cameras and picture tubes, colour killer circuit, compatibility.
- Propagation of television signal, telecine, CCTV, CATV, MATV, TV booster, VCR, VCP.
Radar and Antenna Engineering
- Block diagram of pulse radar. Radar equation. Signal – to – noise ratio, probability density function and range, ambiguities, radar cross – section of target, target models, PRF, system losses.
- CW and frequency – modulated radar Doppler effect, CW radar, FMCW radar.
- MTI and pulse Doppler radar – delay line cancellers and characteristics, blind speeds, douplet cancellation. MTI radars with power amplifier and power oscillators, transmitters. MTI from moving platform, pulse Doppler radars.
- Tracking radars. Tracking techniques – sequential lobing, conical scan monopulse. Tracking in range, acquisition. Tracking performance.
- Electronic scanning radar system, beam forming and steering methods, fire controlled radar. SAR.
- Radar transmitters, magnetron oscillators, hard tube and line – type pulser. Radar receivers, mixer amplifier, receiver noise, duplexers, displays, clutters, weather and interferences, system engineering and design. Pulse compression radar.
- Fundamentals of radiation mechanism, vector potentials, radiation from current elements, radiation pattern, superposition and reciprocity theorems.
- Small antennas, images, small antenna above ground, different types of linear arrays, multiplication of patterns, binomial arrays, antenna gain, effective area, antenna impedance, beam width, self and mutual impedance, folded dipole, Yaginda antennas.
- Mathematical theories of antennas, aperture antennas, slot antennas, cavity back slot antennas, horn antennas, waveguide radiator, parabolic reflectors, Cassegrain antennas.
- Broad band antennas, microstrip antennas, noise consideration, antenna measurements.
- Wave propagation through waveguides – rectangular, circular, elliptical – cutoff frequency, modes, group and phase velocities.
- Cavity resonators and filters.
- Network representations of discontinuity — S – matrix. Impedance transformation and matching technique.
- Microwave passive components—Tee junctions, magic tee, couplers, circulators, attenuators, phase shifters, bends, twists, corners, irises, windows.
- Microwave generators and amplifiers—thyristor, magnetors, TWTs, BWOs, transistors, tunnel diodes, PIN GUNN, etc. Parametric amplifier. Ferrite and ferrite devices.
- Microwave propagation and link design.
- Microwave measurements, network analyser concept. Anechoic chambers.
- Microwave integrated circuits — MMIC, strip and microstrip lines, slot and coplanar lines.
Online Application 14 December 2020 to 21 January 2021.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.