AMIE Electrical Engineering Syllabus ( Section B ) 2021
Management and Organisations
- Management Process : Definition, planning organizing, directing, controlling, coordinating, types of management.
- Organisation Definition, planning, design and development, types of organizations.
- Management planning and control : Classical, new classical and modern principles. General Management, scientific management, engineering, management, systems management.
- Planning : Procedures, resources and constraints, objectives, goals, policies and procedures.
- Control : Setting of reference or standards, appraisal or evaluation, monitoring and controlling, types of control.
- Human resource planning and management, selection, recruitment, training, retraining, skill development, competence development, promotion and career development, participative management, trade unions, and collective bargaining, Management of Physical Resources
- Plant : site selection procedures, factors affecting selection. Layout – types and relative merits and demerits, Maintenance – Objectives, different types of associated decisions, strategies for effective maintenance, computer applications.
- Material : Functions, objectives, planning and control including inventory models with or without storage costs, price break ( excluding dynamic and probabilistic considerations ). Different classes of inventory. Material Requirement Planning ( MRP ).
- Financial Management : Introduction to standard forms of financial statements, i.e., balancesheet, profit and loss, and income statement. Fixed and current asset items. Fixed and current liability items. Linkage of two successive balance – sheets through income or profit and loss statement. Funds flow statement. Financial ratios and their implications.
Managerial economics : Concepts, theory of production, marginal productivity and cost. Introduction to theory of firm.
- Quality Management : Quality definition, quality planning, quality control and quality management, Total quality management, ISO 9000 systems, simple quality control techniques like control charts and acceptance sampling. Marketing management consumer behavior, market research, product design and development pricing and promotion.
- Project Management : Introduction. Concept of a project, project management concepts, project simulation, cost or project and means of financing, economic evaluation criteria of the project, project implementation, project planning, scheduling and monitoring, project control ( PERT, CPM techniques including crashing ). Project evaluation.
- Information Technology and Management : Role of information, management information system and decision support system, Information technology – introduction to e – business, ecommerce and integration tools like enterprise resource planning ( ERP ).
- Generation of electrical power : Conventional and non – conventional methods. Typical layout of thermal and hydro power stations – main and auxiliary equipment.
- Load management : Base and peak loads. Load curves Definitions of load factor, diversity factor, demand factor. Capacity planning. Load forecasting. Capital and running costs for different types of plants. Different electricity tariffs – flat rate, two part and TOD tariff.
- Generator excitation systems : Speed and excitation control of generators. Load sharing of generators in a system.
- Stability of power system : Definitions of transient and steady state stability. Swing equation and its solution by step – by – step method. Equal area criterion for transient stability.
- Transmission of electrical power : Overhead and underground transmission line configurations. Materials for transmission line conductors and insulators. Power station and sub – station switchyard and layouts. ACSR conductors, bundled conductors. Overhead line poles, towers and cross arms.’ Single and double circuit lines. Untransposed and transposed 3 – phase transmission lines. Overhead, line sag calculation. Effect of wind pressure and ice loading on transmission lines.
- Transmission Line Parameters : Resistance, inductance and capacitance calculations. Skin and proximity effects. Corona and radio interference of EHV lines. Voltage distribution in suspension insulators. String efficiency. Different types of cables. Capacitance of cables. Intersheath grading.
- Performance of Short Transmission Lines : Line loss, efficiency and regulation of line. Zero regulation condition of power transmission.
- Performance of Medium Transmission Lines : Nominal T and ^ representation. Regulation and efficiency of medium lines.
- Performance of Long Transmission Lines : Equivalent T and ^ representations. Propagation constant and characteristic impedance of a long line. Ferranti effect. urge impedance loading. Infinite line. Wavelength of line. Determination of A, B, C, D constants of transmission lines.
- Transmission Line Charts : Power factor and power angle of a transmission line. Power angle diagram of an interconnector. Use of shunt and series capacitor in a transmission line.
Circuit and Field Theory
- Circuit Theory : Graph of a network. Concept of tree, loop current and node pair voltage. Tie set and tie set matrices – cut set and cut set matrices. Solution of equilibrium equations on loop and node basis. Application of Laplace transforms for solving transient equations of electrical circuits. initial and final value theorems. Unit step, impulse and ramp inputs. Laplace transform for shifted and singular functions. The. convolution integral. Fourier series and its applications. Exponential form of the Fourier series. Relation between frequency spectra and. Laplace transform of the Fourier series. The concept of complex frequency, transform impedance and admittance; series and parallel combinations.
- Network theorems : Thevenin, Norton, Reciprocity, Superposition and Telegen. Terminals and ports. Driving point and transfer impedances. S – plane representation : Poles and zeros. Time domain behaviour from pole and zero plots. Procedure for finding network functions for general two – port network. Radian frequency and sinusoidal network functions in terms of poles and zeros. Resonance, Q – factor and bandwidth. Asymptotic change of magnitude with frequency in terms of poles and zeros. The symmetrical lattice..
- Field Theory : Vectors and vector calculus. Gradient, divergence and curl of a vector. Gauss, Stokes and Helmholtz theorems.
- Electrostatics : Potential and electric field intensity. Conducting boundaries, Coaxial spheres and cylinders. Laplace’s and Poisson’s equations. Electrostatic energy. Uniqueness theorem. Method of images; dipoles. Dielectric polarisation, electric flux density, permittivity. Boundary conditions. Stationary currents. Ohm’s law; E.M.F. conservation of charge. Resistance of arbitrary shaped conductors. Boundary conditions and refraction, current flow lines. Numerical solutions of Laplace’s equation by the method of iterations.
- Magneto static : Magnetic field intensity and flux density. Vector potential. Magnetic dipole. Divergence of B. Ampere’s law of force. Ampere’s circuital law. Differential equation for vector potential. Magnetic polarisation and permeability. Boundary conditions for and H.
- Time varying fields : Faraday’s law. Dynamically and statically induced E.M.F’s. Inductance and stored energy. Hysteresis loss, Maxwell’s equations. Displacement current. Deviation of generalised wave equations from v1axwell’s equations for the magnetic vector potential. specialization to Eddy current or diffusion equations and non dissipative wave equations. Plane wave propagation and eddy current phenomenon as solutions of the above relevant equations. Reflection and refraction of plane waves at the plane boundary of electromagnetic media.
- D.C. Machines : Parallel operations of D.c. generators. Speed control of D.c. motors. Testing of D.c. motors.
- Transformers : Construction of 3 – phase transformers. Vector groupings. Connections of 3 – phase transformers Star, delta, zig – zag, Scott and Vee connections. Grounding transformers. On load tap changing arrangement of transformers.
- Synchronous Machines : Regulation of synchronous generators. Salient pole synchronous machines. Direct and quadrature axis reactances. Synchronisation of 3 – phase generators. Starting of synchronous motors. V – curves for synchronous motors. Synchronous condensers. Load and torque angles of synchronous machines.
- Three – Phase Induction Motors : Torque – slip characteristics. Starting maximum and pull out torques. Circle diagram of induction motors. Starters for induction motor. Speed control of induction motor. Testing of induction motor.
- Single – phase A.C. motors : Working principle and performance of split phase shaded pole and capacitor , motors. Series motor, repulsion motor.
- Servo Motors : D.C. and A.C.
Measurement and Control
- Measurements : Units and standards. Measurement of electric quantities such as voltage, current and power and power factor at various frequencies.
- High and low value resistance measurement A.C. potentiometer. A.C. bridges : Owen, Anderson al Schering. Magnetic measurements : Flux, permeability a. B H loop.
- High voltage measurements D.C, A.c. and impulse. Frequency and time interval measurement.
- Open loop and closed loop control systems : Concept of linear and nonlinear systems. Transfer functions a block diagrams. Signal flow graph.
- State Variables : State equations. Matrix representation of state equations. Relationship between state equations and transfer functions.
- Time Response : Transient analysis of feedback systems – First and second order systems. Steady state error and error coefficients.
- Frequency Response : Polar plots, Bode plots, logarithmic vs. phase plots.
- Stability : Concept and determination of absolute stability. Routh’s criterion. Nyquist criterion. Rela1 stability. Determination of gain and phase margin from Nyquist and Bode plots.
- Root Locus : Definitions. Construction of root loci. Root contours, S plane analysis of systems.
- Control System Components : D.C. and A.C. tachogenerator, synchros, D.C. and A.C. preamplifier Servo potentiometers and gyroscopes.
Online Application 14 December 2020 to 21 January 2021.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.