AMIE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus ( Section B ) 2021
Design of Machine Elements
- Mechanical systems and elements, overall design considerations, safety, ecological and societal considerations in design. Codes for design – Bureau of Indian Standards ( BIS ) – codes, design data handbook. Load, stress and critical sections in machine parts.
- Materials, stress – strain curves of ductile and brittle materials, cast iron, steel, non – ferrous alloys and plastics, hardness and surface properties of materials, material strength, factor of safety and allowable stress. Review of axial, bending, shear and torsional loading on machine components, combined loading, two – and three dimensional Mohr’s circle. Stresses in curved beams, thick and thin shells under pressure.
- Deflection and stability, beam deflection and column buckling. Euler’s formula and Johnson’s formula. Failures theories – maximum normal stress theory, maximum shear stress theory, and maximum distortion energy theory. Application to components made of brittle and ductile materials, stress concentration factor.
- Cyclic loading and fatigue failures : Reverse bending, axial and torsion loadings, effect of stress concentration, fatigue life prediction – Miner’s rule, effect of surface treatments ( shotpeening, surface hardening ) on fatigue life of components.
- Design of threaded fasteners and power screws, thread forms and threaded fastener types and materials, power screws, bolt tightening and initial tension, static and group of bolts.
- Rivets and welding : Loading, bending, direct shear, axial and bending.
- Design of springs : Spring materials, helical compression and extension springs, design for fatigue, loading, leaf sprints. Design of sliding bearings, bearing materials, fluid viscosity, hydrodynamic lubrication, Petroff’s equation, Raimondi and Boyd chart. Heat dissipation.
- Rolling elements bearings : Types, catalogue information ( Timken and SKF bearings ), bearing life radial and thrust loads. Selection of bearings. Spur, helical and worm gears, gear tooth profile, gear geometry, module, contact ratio, gear train, gear tooth bending strength, gear tooth surface fatigue analysis, gear material.
- Design of shafts, keys, pins and splines, shaft couplings. Cotter and pin joints, pipe joints, gaskets, seal and packing, cylinder joints, flanged joints.
- Clutches and brakes : Single and multiple plate clutch, constant wear and constant pressure theories for plate clutches, materials, shoe drum brakes, internal and external shoe brakes.
- Power transmission elements : Belts and chain drives, design of flat and V – belts.
Refrigereation and Airconditioning
- Introduction to refrigeration and air – conditioning, methods of refrigeration – conventional and non – conventional, unit of refrigeration, COP and refrigeration efficiency.
- Air refrigeration. Carnot. Bell Coleman, Brayton cycles, simple and bootstrap aircraft refrigeration systems.
- Mechanical refrigeration. Carnot vapour refrigeration compression cycle, simple vapour compression cycle. Effect of sub – cooling and superheating on cycle performance, actual vapour compression cycle, multistage and cascade refrigeration, industrial refrigeration systems.
- Vapour absorption refrigeration : Working principle, COP comparison between vapour absorption and vapour compression refrigeration systems, actual ammonia
- Vapour refrigeration systems. Lithium bromide water absorption system, electrolux refrigeration system.
- Steam jet refrigeration system : Principle and applications, performance, actual steam jet refrigeration. Vortex and pulse tube refrigeration, theory and operation.
- Thermoelectric refrigeration : Thermoelectric elements, working principle and COP refrigerants, desirable properties of refrigerants, primary and secondary refrigerants, various refrigerants and their properties, alternatives to the chloro fluorocarbons.
- Air – conditioning : Psychrometry, psychrometry chart and various psychometric processes, comfort and industrial airconditioning, effective temperature and comfort chart, unitary and central airconditioning systems.
- Cooling and heating load calculations, design conditions, sensible and latent heat loads, sensible heat ratio, structural, electrical, infiltration and ventilation heat gains, occupancy heat gains, apparatus dew point, bypass and contact factors.
Power Plant Engineering
- Thermal power stations. Main components and working of power stations, thermodynamics cycles, fuel handling, combustion and combustion equipment, problem of ash disposal, circulating water schemes and supply of make up water. Choice of pressure of steam
generation and steam temperature, selection of appropriate vacuum economiser, air preheater, feedwater heaters and dust collection. Characteristics of turbo alternators, steam power plant, heat balance and efficiency.
- Boilers and steam generation, general classification, fire tube and water tube boilers, natural circulation and forced circulation boilers, high pressure, high temperature boilers, supercritical pressure boilers, boiler mounting and accessories, feed pumps, economisers, superheaters, air preheaters; boiler furnaces, heat generation rates, water walls.
- Gas fired and fuel fired oil furnaces, pulverised fuel fired furnaces, burners for gas fired, fuel oil – fired and pulverised fuel fired furnaces, grate fired furnaces for solid fuels, feedwater pumps and pipings, boiler settings, estimation of air quantity requirement and draught systems, ID and FD fans.
- Diesel power plants : Diesel engine performance and operation, plant layout, log sheets, selections of engine size.
- Gas turbine plants : Plant layout, methods of improving output and performance fuel and fuel systems, methods of testing, open and closed cycle plants, operating characteristics.
- Combined working of power plants : Advantages of combined working of different types of power plants, need for co – ordination of types of power plants in power systems, base load stations and peak load stations.
- Hydroelectric plants : Penstocks, water turbines, specific speed, turbine governors, hydroplant auxiliaries, plant layout, automatic and remote control of hydroplants, pumped projects, cost of hydroelectric project.
- Nuclear power plants : Elements of nuclear power plants, nuclear reactor fuel moderators, coolants, control.
- Major electrical equipment in power plants : Generator and exciters, power and unit transformers, circuit breakers, protective equipment, control board equipment, elements of instrumentation.
- Power station auxiliaries. Alternate power sources. Solar power, geothermal, tidal and wind power.
Non Conventional Energy Systems
- Introduction to non – conventional sources – Solar, bio – gas, wind, tidal, geothermal.
- Basic bio – conversion mechanism; source of waste; simple digester; composition and calorific values of bio – gas.
- Wind and tidal energy generation; Special characteristics; Turbine parameters and optimum operation; Electrical power generation from wind / tidal energy.
- Energy from the sun : Techniques of collection; Storage and utilisation; Types of solar collectors; Selective surfaces; Solar thermal processes; Heating; Cooling; Drying; Power generation, etc.
- Direct energy conversion methods : Photoelectric, thermoelectric, thermionic, MHD ( magneto – hydrodynamics ) and electro – chemical devices; Solar cells.
- Photo voltaic; Amorphous semiconductors; Limitations of photovoltaics efficiency; Fuel cells; Peak load demands; Developments in fuel cells and applications.
- Ocean thermal energy conversion; Geothermal energy – hot springs and steam injection; Power plant based on OTEC and geothermal springs.
- Fusion energy : Control through fusion of hydrogen and helium. Energy release rates – present status and problems. Future possibilities.
- Integrated energy packages using solar, biomass, wind, etc. Comparative study of nonconventional energy sources; Cost considerations and economics.
Internal Combustion Engines
- Classification of engines according to fuels, cycle of operation and number of strokes, construction details, value arrangements, application of IC engines, review of air standard cycles, deviation of actual cycles from fuel – air cycles, various influencing factors.
- Review of fuels for IC engines with particular reference to velocity, ignition quality and knock rating, variable compression ratio engines.
- Air – fuel ratios and mixture requirements of SI engines, stoichiometric fuel air ratio, lean and rich mixture operation, optimum conditions, carburetors – principle, types and venturi, fuel orifice sizes, charge stratification and distribution.
- Fuel – air requirement in CI engines. Methods of fuel oil distribution and injection. Types of injector systems in SI and CI engines. Flame front and normal combustion. Detonation in SI and knocking CI engines. Factors influencing detonation and knock. Comparative analysis.
- Ignition systems in SI and CI engines.
- Engine friction and lubrication : Effect of engine variables, total engine friction, requirements of lubricants and lubricating systems.
- Cooling systems : Gas temperature variation, heat transfer rates, piston and cylinder temperature, heat rejected to coolant, air and water cooling systems and components.
- Two – stroke engines : Special features, scavenging systems.
- Supercharging : Objects, effects on engine performance, supercharging limits, methods of supercharging with special .emphasis on turbochargers.
- Engine testing and performance : Various performance parameters and their measurements.
- Air pollution from engine exhaust, its measurement and control, principle constituents of engine, emission methods of control, modification of conventional engines, dual fuel and multifuel engines, stratified charged engines, sterlings engines, Wankel rotary combustion engine.
- Positive displacement and turbo machines. Basic principles of rotodynamic machines.
- Efficiency of turbo machines.
- Flow through nozzles and blade passages : Steady flow through nozzles, isentropic flow; Effect of friction in flow passages; Converging – diverging nozzles; Flow of wet steam through nozzles; Diffusers.
- Steam and gas turbines. Pressure and velocity compounding; Velocity diagrams; Degree of reaction; Utilisation factor; Reaction blanding; Analysis of flow through turbo machines; Energy equation; Momentum equation.
- Fluid dynamic consideration : Theoretically obtainable work head; Profile losses. Clearance and leakage losses. Windage losses. Partial admission losses. Flow deviation, Diffuser performance. Design of blade passages. Cavitation in turbo machines.
- Centrifugal compressors : Description and operation, energy transfer and relations, losses, adiabatic efficiency, effect of compressibility, performance characteristics, pressure coefficient, slip factor, surging, surge lines and stall line.
- Axial compressor : Introduction, stage characteristics, blade efficiency, design coefficients, blade loading, cascade characteristics, three – dimensional flow considerations, supersonic axial flow compressor, performance characteristics.
- Wind turbines : Power, energy and torque of wind turbines, coefficient of performance, energy production and capacity factor, turbine shaft power, torque at variable speeds.
- Hydraulic turbomachines : Hydraulic turbines ( Pelton wheel and Kaplan turbines ), centrifugal and axial flow pumps, characteristics of hydraulic turbomachines.
- Fans : Classification, fan laws.
- Power transmitting turbomachines; Hydraulic coupling; Torque converters.
Online Application 14 December 2020 to 21 January 2021.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.