AMIE Electronics and Communication Engineering Syllabus 2021
- Software project planning and management : Basic concepts of life cycles models, milestone, cost models, successive versions model, project structure, team structure. Empirical and heuristic estimation techniques.
- Requirement analysis. Specifications, algebraic axioms, regular expressions, decision tables, event tables, transition tables, FS mechanism, petri nets.
- Software design : Architectural and detailed design, abstraction, information hiding, modularity, concurrency, etc, coupling and cohesion, data How diagrams, structure charts, pseudo code, stepwise refinement, top – down and bottom – up programming.
- Test plan and implementation issues – structured coding, recursion, documentation.
- Modern programming language features : Typeless, strong type and pseudo strong type checking, user defined data types, data encapsulation, generic facilities,’ concurrency mechanism, object oriented concepts.
- Program verification and validation. Unit testing, integration testing, acceptance testing, formal verification.
- Software maintenance : Source code metrics, Halstead’s effort equation, cyclomatic metric.
- Reliability and software quality assurance.
- Software cost estimation.
Sensors and Transducers
- Functional description of instrumentation systems. Performance characteristics – static and dynamic, time and frequency responses.
- Electrical passive transducers. Hot wire anemometers and associated circuit, LVDT and phase – sensitive : detection, variable reluctance type transducers and associated circuits. Capacitive microphone and associated circuits.
- Magnetostrictive transducers : Magnetostrictive materials and their application to measurement of force. Hall transducers : principles and applications.
- Thermocouple, semiconductor – type temperature sensors.
- Piezoelectric transducers : Piezoelectric crystal and its properties, sensitive coefficients, ferroelectric materials, bimorph, charge amplifiers, measurement of force.
- Signal conditioning : Push – pull arrangement and reduction of on – linearity. Linearizing circuits and their applications. Differential amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, logarithmic amplifiers. Sources of noise and their reduction, grounding and shielding techniques.
- Special transducers : Digital shaft encoders. DC and AC tachogenerators, synchros.
- Actuators and servos : DC and AC servomotors, step motors. Elastic transducers : Springs bellows, diaphragms, Bourdon tubes – their characteristics and applications, combination of elastic and electrical transducers. Pneumatic sensors.
Industrial Instrumentation and Computer Control
- Ultrasonic devices and their applications for sensing and non – destructive testing.
- Radio isotopes and their applications. Radio isotope sources, nucleonic detectors, ionization chambers, proportional – Geiger Mueller – and scintillation – counters. Ionization gauges and nucleonic gauges for measurement of thickness, density, pressure, flow, etc.
- Optical transducers : LDR, LEDs, lasers, photodiodes, photomultiplier tubes, IR and UV detectors. Applications to industrial and pollution measurement. Introduction to optical fibre based sensors.
- Microwave sensors : Doppler shift technique for velocity measurement.
- Sampling techniques for liquids and gases for analysis purposes. Gas analysis, gas chromatography, thermal conductivity method, heat of reaction method.
- Paramagnetic oxygen meters.
- Humidity and moisture measurement, measurement of viscosity, pH measurement, electrical conductivity measurement.
- Spectrochemical analysis : Mass spectrometry, emission spectrometry, absorption spectrometry.
- Different types of digital control. Single loop and multiloop, direct digital control, software implementation of multiloop controllers. Sequence control : Programmable logic controllers, relay ladder logic programming.
- Supervisory control : Functionality, process optimization, process monitoring. Man – machine interfaces. On – line computer control of processes.
- Introduction to human physiology : Body skeleton : Nerve physiology, membrane protenual and action potential, function of nerves and of myoneural junction.
- Muscle physiology : Functions of skeleton and smooth muscle, cardiac muscle and its rhythmic contraction.
- Heart physiology : Dynamics of system, blood flow, arterial pressure, ECG. Respirations : Mechanism of respiration.
- Neuro physiology : C N S function of spinal cord and cord reflexes.
- Transducers and electrodes : Different types of transducers and their selection for biomedical applications. Electrode theory. Different types of electrodes – hydrogen, calomel, Ag – AgCI, pH, P02 – PC02 electrodes, selection criteria of electrodes.
- Measurement and recording : Cardiovascular measurement : The heart and other cardiovascular systems. Measurement of blood pressure, blood flow, cardiac output and cardiac rate. Electrocardiography, phonocardiography ballistocardiography, plethysmography, magnet cardiography, computer applications.
- Measurement of electrical activities in muscles and brain. Electromyography, electroencephalograph and their interpretation.
- Respiratory mechanism. Measurement of gas volume, flow rate, carbon dioxide and oxygen concentration in inhaled air, respiratory controller.
- Instrumentation for clinical laboratory : Measurement of pi f value of blood, ESR measurements, haemoglobin measurement, oxygen and carbon dioxide concentration in blood, GSR measurement, polarographic measurements, computer applications.
- Medical imaging : Ultrasound imaging, radiography magnetic resonance technique and applications.
- Biotelemetry : Transmission and reception aspects of biological signals via long distances. Patient care monitoring.
- Electronic instruments affecting the human body. Stimulator, defibrillator, pacemaker, diathermy, blood pumps, myoelectric control of paralysed muscles.
- Periodic signal analysis : Fourier series, a periodic signal analysis, Fourier transform. Discrete representation of signals, Z – transform, sampling theorem. Effect of quantization. Flow graph.
- Digital filter design : IIR filter design based on analog filters, inpui variance and bilinear transformation approach.
- Computer aided design. FIR filter design using windows, computer – aided design. Introduction to multirate filters.
- Computation of the DFT, DCT and WHT. The FFT, mixed radix algorithm, simulation of digital filters. Hardware implementation. Effects of finite register length.
- Digital signal processors ( Ex TMS – 320 family ). Discrete random signals. Discrete correlation. Estimation of power spectral density. Application of digital signal processing.
- Frequency response techniques : Nyquist criteria—the principle of argument, the Nyquist path; Nyquist criteria for stability, effect of addition of poles and zeros on the shape of Nyquist locus.
- Relative stability : Determination of gain margin and phase margin from Nyquist and Bode plots. Constant M and N loci in the G – plane; Nichol’s charts. Application of Nichol’s charts.
- State space techniques : State variable analysis o! dynamical systems, canonical forms, controllability and observability, stability. Introduction to optimal control quadratic performance index and regulator problems.
- Compensation techniques : Specifications of control systems in time and frequency domains. Series compensations—lag, lead and lag – lead design using Bode plots. Linear system design by state variable feedback.
- Discrete data systems : Z – transforms and inverse Z transforms, stability – unit circle, bilinear transform, Jury’ stability criterion. Difference equations. Types of digital control of plants.
- Nonlinear elements and systems : Phase – plane and describing function methods. Stability analysis am Liapunov’s method.
Online Application 14 December 2020 to 21 January 2021.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.