Important : Delhi Technology University B.Tech ( Evening ) Program Entrance Test Syllabus will be announced soon.
DTU Syllabi for B.Tech. ( Evening ) Entrance Exam Paper – I
DTU Physics Syllabus
- Units and Dimensions : S.I. units, Dimensions of physical quantities, Principle of homogeneity and its applications.
- Vibrations : Simple harmonic motion and its examples; energy considerations. Elementary discussions on free forced and resonant vibrations.
- Temperature and its Measurement : Basic Principles of measurements of temperature, bimetallic thermometer, thermocouple thermometer; resistance thermometer, pyrometer, criteria for selection of thermometers.
- Waves : Progressive waves, principles of superposition, interference, beats and stationary waves.
- Optics : Nature of light reflection and refraction on the basis of Huygen’s principle, optical instruments like overhead projector and epidiascope.
- Nuclear Physics : Radioactivity, elementary ideas about nuclear fission and reactors.
DTU Chemistry Syllabus
- Periodic properties of Elements : Periodic law, Periodic table, Periodicity properties like atomic radii and volume, ionic radii, ionization energy and electron affinity. Division of elements into s,p,d and f blocks.
- Chemical Bonds : Electrovalent, covalent and coordinate bonds and their properties. Metallic bonding ( electron cloud model ) and properties (like texture, conductance, luster, ductility, and malleability ).
- Fuels and their Classification : Definition, characteristics, classification into solid, liquid and gaseous fuel, Petroleum and brief idea of its refining into various fractions, their characteristics and use. Calorific value of fuel, gaseous fuels, preparations, properties, composition and use of producer gas, water and oil gas.
- Water : Impurities in water, methods of their removal, hardness of water, its types, causes and removal, disadvantages of hard water in boilers, pH value and its determination by calorimetric method.
- Metals : Cast iron and its properties, effects of Sulphur, Silicon and Phosphorus as impurities in cast iron. Elementary knowledge of heat treatment of steels, hardening.
- Alloys : Definition, classification and necessity for making alloys, Composition, properties and uses of following alloys : Brass, Bronze, Gun metal and Duralumin. Effect of carbon, nickel, chromium, manganese on steel.
DTU Mathematics Syllabus
- Algebra : Complex numbers, partial fractions, Binomial theorem. Approximations, matrices and their application in solving linear equations.
- Trigonometry : Sum and difference formulae. Napier’s analogy, Solution of triangles, Trigonometric equations.
- Coordinate Geometry : Straight line, circle, parabola, ellipse and hyperbola ( simple problems ).
- Vectors : Their applications to work done, moment of forces, relative velocity.
- Mensuration : Volume and surface of sphere, cone, pyramid and their frusta.
- Differential Calculus : Functions, limits, differentiation, successive differentiation, use of Leibnitz’s theorem, maxima and minima, tangents and normals, Maclaurin’s and Taylor’s theorems.
- Integration : By substitution, by parts, by partial fractions, applications to area, surface and volume of simple solids revolution.
- Differential Equations : Variables separable, homogeneous and linear equations of first order and first degree.
DTU Syllabi for B.Tech. ( Evening ) Entrance Exam Paper – II
One of the following subjects
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology
(a) DTU Civil Engineering Syllabus
- Building Materials : Physical and chemical properties, classification, standard tests, uses and manufacture / quarrying of materials, e.g. building stones, silicate based materials, cement ( Portland ), Asbestos products, Timber and Wood based products, laminates, bituminous materials, paints, varnishes.
- Concrete Technology : Properties, Advantages and uses of concrete, cement aggregates, importance of water quality, water cement ratio, workability, mix design, storage, batching, mixing, placement, compaction, finishing and curing of concrete, quality control of concrete, hot weather and cold weather concreting, repair and maintenance of concrete structure.
- Surveying : Principles of surveying, working of prismatic compass and bearings, plane table surveying, theodolite traverse, adjustment of theodolite, levelling and contouring, curvature, refraction correction, permanent adjustment of dumpy level, methods of contouring and uses of a contour map, tachometric survey.
- Soil Mechanics : Origin of soil phase diagram, definitions of void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, water content, specific gravity of soil grains and unit weights, grain size distribution curves for different solids and their uses. Atterberg’s limits, ISI soil classification, plasticity chart, coefficient of permeability; effective stress, consolidation of soils.
- Calculation, shear strength of soils, direct shear test, vane shear test, triaxial test, soil compaction, Lab. Compaction test, moisture content and bearing capacity of soils, place load test, standard penetration test.
- Theory of Structures : Elasticity constants, Types of beams, determinate and indeterminate. Bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported, cantilever and over hanging beams. Moment of area and moment of intertia for rect. & circular section,. Bending moment and shear stress for tee, channel and compound sections, chimneys, dams and retaining walls, eccentric loads, slope deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams, critical load and columns, torsion of circular section.
- RCC & Steel Design : RCC beams: flexural strength, shear strength, bond strength, design of single reinforced beams, lintels, cantilever beams, double reinforced beams, one way slabs, two way slabs, reinforced brick work, T-beams, columns, staircases, retaining walls water tanks steel design, welded connections, riveted joints, design and construction of steel columns, beams roof trusses plate girders.
- Hydraulics : Fluid properties, hydrostatics, measurements of flow. Bernoulli’s theorem and its application, flow through pipes, flow in open channels, weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps and turbines.
- Public Health Engineering : Quality of water, source of water supply, purification of water, distribution of water, need of sanitation sewerage system, circular sewers, oval sewers, sewer appurtenances, surface water drainage, sewage treatments.
(b) DTU Electrical Engineering Syllabus
- Basic Electrical Engineering and Elect. Measurements : Concepts of current, voltage, resistance, power and energy, their units, Ohm’s law.
- Circuit Laws : Kirchhoff’s law, solution of simple network problems, Network theorems and their applications, Electromagnetism, concept of flux, emf, reluctance, magnetic circuits.
- Electro – magnetic induction, self and mutual inductance.
- A.C. fundamentals, instantaneous, peak, r.m.s. and average values of alternating waves, Equations of sinusoidal wave form, simple series and parallel a.c. circuits consisting of R,L and C Resonance.
- Measurement and measuring instruments : Moving coil and moving iron ammeters and voltmeters, Extension of range. Wattmeters, Multimeters, Megger. Basic Electronics.
- Electrical machines : Basic principles D.C. motors, generators, their characteristics. Speed control and starting of D.CC. motors, losses and efficiency of D.C. machines.
- 1-phase Transformers, principles of operation, equivalent circuit, voltage regulation, O.C. and S.C. tests, efficiency, auto transformers.
- Synchronous machines, generation of three phase emf, armature reaction. Voltage regulation. Parallel operation of two alternators, synchronizing. Starting and applications of synchronous motors.
- 3-phase Induction motor, rotating magnetic field, principle of operation, equivalent circuit, torque speed characteristics, starting and speed control of 3-phase induction motors, Fractional kW motors, 1-phase induction motors, a.c. series motor, reluctance motor.
- Generation, Transmission and Distribution : Different types of power stations, Load factor, diversity factor, demand factor, simple problems thereon, cost of generation, inter connection of power stations.
- Power factor improvement, various types of tariffs, types of faults, short circuit current for symmetrical faults.
- Switchgear – rating of circuit breakers. Principles of arc extinction by oil and air, H.R.C. fuses. Protection earth leakage, over current Buchholz relay. Merz-Price system of protection of generators & transformers. Protection of feeders and bus bars.
- Lightning arresters.
- Various transmission and distribution systems. Comparison of conductor material, efficiency for different systems.
- Utilization of Electrical Energy : Illumination, electric heating, Electric welding, electroplating, electric drivers and traction.
(c) DTU Electronics & Communication Engineering Syllabus
- Communication Engineering : Amplitude, frequency and phase modulation transmitters, antennas. Propagation of radio waves, microwaves, Radar systems, Electroacoustic transducers, sound recording and reproduction, radio receiver. TV and Video, Telegraphy telemetry, Broad band communications.
- Digital Electronics and Instrumentation : Logic gates and logic families, number system, Decoder, multiplexer, flip – flop latches, counters, shift registers, D / A and A / D converters, Digital multimeter, semiconductor memories, Microprocessor.
- Electronics Devices and Circuits : Voltage & current sources, semiconductor physics, diode, transistors ( bipolar & FET ) biasing. Single and multistage amplifier, DC amplifier, power amplifier. Wave shaping circuits, Multi – vibrators, Integrated electronics, operational amplifier, regulated power supply, optoelectronic device, C.R.O. and time base circuits.
- Network Filters & Transmission Lines : Network theorems, symmetrical & asymmetrical network attenuators, prototype filter section, active filter transmission lines. Introduction to transformer, A.C. and DDD.C. machines.
(c) DTU Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
- Flow of Liquids : Laminar & turbulent flow, equation of continuity, Bernoulli’s theorem; measurement of discharge; flow through pipes, friction losses. Forces of jet impinging on vanes, blades; work done and efficiency; classification of turbines & pumps.
- Thermal Engineering : Laws of thermodynamics, change in entropy in various processes; properties of steam, uses of steam table & charts; Construction & Working of Cochran, Lancashire, Locomotive and Babccock & Wilcox boilers, working of steam engine, steam turbine, Otto & Diesel Cycles, working of IC engines, Carburation, Solex Carburettor, Diesel fuel pump & injector; Cooling & lubrication.
- Production Engineering : Foundry-Different casting processes, concept of patterns; type of mould making, pouring, defect in castings, causes & remedies. Welding classification and types of welding; Testing and defects in welds. Lathes-Working of a lathe ; various tools, operation on lathes, types of lathes, Drilling operations performed on drilling machines.
- Description, Principles of working and various operations on machine tools, Milling machine, Shaper, Grinder, Boring and Slotting machines.
- Strength of Materials : Stresses in composite bars, Relations between elastic constants, Resilience under different types of loads, SF and BM diagrams; Stresses in beams – combined direct and bending stresses, Struts and columns – Euler’s and Rankine’s theories, and Torsion of circular shafts.
- Theory of Machines : Simple Mechanisms – Four bar chain, Slider crank chain, double slider crank chain. Flywheel – Turning moment diagrams. Fluctuation of energy, Friction – in collar and pivots, Plate clutch, conical clutch, journal bearing, Transmission of power through flat and V belts, Gears, profile of gears, GovernorsWatt, and Hartnell Governors.
Online Application 14 December 2020 to 21 January 2021.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.