CBSE Proficiency Test for Class-XExams Date »
CBSE Class 10 Proficiency Test 2014
A Proficiency Test measures an individual’s abilities and skills in a domain or subject to know how well he / she has learned, understood and internalised the related concepts and principles. Such a test in language e.g. may assess a student’s skills in reading, writing or vocabulary. Similarly a test in Science may focus on assessing students’ abilities to apply concepts and principles to analyse a given situation, solve a given problem and conduct practical work efficiently.
A test in Mathematics may similarly assess problem solving abilities and skills of mathematical thinking, mathematical reasoning and procedural techniques followed by students. Thus, the proposed Proficiency Test will mainly focus on assessing students’ abilities and skills to apply knowledge and understanding of any subject to new and unfamiliar everyday life situations.
The core testing element of such a test will include observing, comparing, classifying, solving, translating, interpreting, analyzing, synthesising, creating, composing, deducing, justifying and judging / evaluating.
CBSE Proficiency Test 2014 Salient Features
- It is optional in nature. Only those students who wish to take this test willingly may appear.
- It will be conducted in the month of April, 2014 as per the following schedule.
Date Subject Monday
14th April, 2014 English Tuesday
15th April, 2014 Mathematics Wednesday
16th April, 2014 Science Thursday
17th April, 2014 Social Science Friday 18th April, 2014 Hindi
- It will be conducted in all the five main subjects studied by a student in class-X. However, a student may appear in one or more subjects depending upon his / her choice.
- There will be a separate test in every subject one test will be held on a single day.
- It will be a paper-pen test to be administered on the same day across all willing schools in the country.
- Students wishing to appear in the test will be required to pay separate examination fee for the same. The amount of fee to be paid by a student is as under :
One subject [rupee] 300/- ( Three hundred only ) Two subjects [rupee] 400/- ( Four hundred only ) Three subjects
[rupee] 500/- ( Five hundred only ) Four or five subjects [rupee] 600/- ( Six hundred only )
- The registration fee has to be submitted in the form of a Demand Draft in favour of “Secretary, CBSE, Delhi” payable at Delhi.
- Any student studying in secondary or senior secondary school affiliated to CBSE and appearing in March, 2014 final examination ( School conducted or Board Conducted ) is eligible to appear in this test.
- Every student appearing in the test will be issued a certificate by the Board indicating percentile rank.
Format of the CBSE Proficiency Test Question Paper
- All questions will be of multiple choice type with only single correct answer. A student will be required to mark the answers on a given OMR sheet.
- CBSE Proficiency Test Question paper in every subject will carry 100 marks.
- The duration of the test in every subject will be 2½ hours.
- The test will be based on classes IX-X syllabus in the subject prescribed by CBSE.
- The questions included in the question paper will be of varying difficulty level.
- The typology of questions will be different from the type of questions asked in conventional final examination conducted by the Board at the end of Class-X. The test will not include any direct recall, information-based or memory-based questions. It will only include questions to assess students’ skills and abilities to apply understanding of concepts to analyse a given situation or an unfamiliar everyday life problem.
- Negative marks will be awarded for wrong answers. More than one answer indicated against a question will also be deemed as incorrect response and will be negatively marked.
The willing schools are required to submit the related information to the CBSE Board through online filling up of the registration form available on the website www.cbse.nic.in.
Procedure for online submission of List of candidates shall be available on the website www.cbse.nic.in from 3rd December, 2013. The last date for submitting the online information is 31st December, 2013.
The print out of filled in online registration form ( Hard copy ) duly signed and attested by the Principal of the school alongwith the registration fee in the form of a draft in favour of “Secretary, CBSE, Delhi” payable at Delhi, may be submitted to the following address by 15th January, 2014.
The Sh. Ram Shankar,
Assistant Professor & Joint Director ( A&V ),
Central Board of Secondary Education,
17 Rouse Avenue,
New Delhi – 110 002
The following salient points for taking the tests may be taken note of :
- Only those students are allowed to take the proposed test (s) who have applied through the schools and paid requisite fee.
- A student will have to appear from the same city / place where his / her school is located. The CBSE Proficiency Examination will be conducted only at pre-decided centres as per Class-X Board examination.
- The timings of the CBSE Proficiency Test will be from 10.30 A.M. to 1.00 P.M. in every subject.