Jadavpur University SyllabusExams Date »
Jadavpur University 2014 Syllabus : : Jadavpur University 2014 Admission Test
Jadavpur University Syllabus 2014
The syllabi and other details of the paper for Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering are given below :
Civil Engineering :
Applied Mechanics :
Friction between solid bodies; equilibrium of rigid bodies; centre of mass and centre of gravity; work, power and energy; principle of virtual work. Direct and shear stresses, strain elasticity, Hook’s law, Poisson’s ratio, YoLIng’s modulus, modulus of rigidity and bulk modulus, working stress, factor of safety.
Structural elements, BM and SF diagrams theory of simple bending, distribution of bending stresses and shear stresses, Principal stresses and principal planes, Mohr’s circle, Moment of internal section modulus, adius of gyrations, torsion of circular shafts.
Use of simple column formula.
Solution of determinate trusses.
Fluid Mechanics – Piesure at a point, Pascal’s law of pressure within a static fluid, bouyancy, stability of submerged and floating bodies; Steady and unsteady flow, uniform and nonuniform flow, laminar and turbulent flow, Reynolds number.
Part – B
General Civil Engineering :
Surveying Correction for measured length by chain and tape, Field problems and their solutions, Compass Traversing, Clossing error in compass traverse and its correction, Levelling, Cross-section Longsection, measurement of areas, plane table surveying, Contouring.
Planning and Construction :
Brick Bonding, types of ordinary foundations , shoring and timbering, D.P.C. Flooring, Plastering, Whitewashing, skirting, Dado, Layout of water and sanitary lines in residential building, Water closets, Intercepting chambers. Connection of house drains to streets sewers.
Methods of irrigation, water requirement of crops, ground water-well hydraulics, Design of irregation canal systems.
Sanitary Engg. :
Seweis, sewer appurtenances, different system of sewerage, sewage BOD of sewage, Aerobic and Anaerobic process fundamentals fundamentals of septic tanks, activated sludge and trickling filters. Demand of water, potable water, source of water, development of ground water sburces, impurities in natural waters, water works intake, slow sand filter, rapid sand filters, disinfection of public water supplies, causes and removal of hardness.
Soil Mechanics :
Formation, identification and classification of soils. Three phase system Water content, void ratio, degree of saturation, Bulk density etc. Limits of consistency. Total and effective stress.
Roads and Railways :
Roads and Railways Survey, Construction and maintenance, Road permanent way structures with formation, Road and Railway crossings road inter-sections a nd Railway Track connections of various types road signs, Railway signals, Railway yards, road metals and their specifications, parts of Culverts.
Electrical Engineering :
- Units and dimension : work, power and conversion among electrical, mechanical and thermal energies.
- Direct current circuits : steady state and transient response of dc circuits.
- Magnetic circuits : Electromagnetics, mmf calculation, lifting power of magnets.
- Alternating current circuits : steady state response of single phase circuits; series and parallel resonance, balanced three phase circuits; active and reactive power in three phase circuits and their measurement.
- Networktheorems : star-delta conversion; superposition, reciprocity Thevenin, Norton and maximum power transfer theorem applied to direct and alternating current circuits in steady state.
- Measuring instruments : working principles and constructional features of instruments used for measurement of current, voltage and power in dc and ac circuits, extension of instrument range, use of shunt and multipliers. CT and PT.
- DC generators and motors : construction, classification, operating principles and characteristics of dc machines, Starters and regulators; S winburner’s test.
- Transformers : single phase and three phase transformer construction, classification, operating principles, emf equation equivalent circuit, expression for efficiency, regulation and their maximum values, open circuit and short circuit tests.
- lnduction-synchronous machines : rotating magnetic field, constructiorVof squirrel cage and slip ring induction machines, operating principles, equivalent circuit, torque-slip characteristics, no-load and blocked rotor test of in1uction machine, construction and operating principle of synchronous machine, pitch and distribution factors, emf equation, voltage regulation and its determinaion by synchronous impedance method.
- Generation, transmission and distribution : Thermal, hydraulic and nuclear power station, layout diagram, demand and diversity factors, plant capacity and load factors, calculation of voltage drop and efficiency in short transmission line, two wire dc and single phase ac distributor, underground and submarine cables, relay, operating principles of different types of circuit breakers, isolator, symmetrical short circuit study, short circuit capacity, recovery and rest riking voltage.
- Semiconductor devices : Simple diodes and transistors, rectifier, oscillator and amplifier circuits. Thyristor and its application only.
Mechanical Engineering :
Applied Mechanics & Machine Design Group :
Equilibrium equations ( 2D problem ), Friction, Properties of surface, Velocity and acceleration of particle for motion in straight, and circular path, Newton’s laws of motion, Energy and momentum conservation. Stress, strain, Hook’s law, Therrñal stress, Statically indeterminate problem, Strain energy, Torsion of Circular shaft, bending moment and Shear force diagrams, bending stress, Deflection of beam, ( method of integration and method of superposition ), Short and Long column, Design considerations, Theories of failure, Concept of factor of safety, design of rivets, Cotter joints, Knuckle joints, flange couplings. shafts, pulleys and pipes.
Fluid Mechanics, Fluid Machines & Thermal Engg. Group;
Properties of fluid, measurement of pressure, Hydrostatic equation, Total fluid pressure on plane and curved surfaces, Centre of pressure, Buoyancy, stability of floating bodies, types of fluid flow, Continuity equation, total energy of flowing fluid, Bernoulli’s equation, Measurement of flow in closed conduits and open channels ( Orifice / Venturi meter, notches ), measurement of velocity ( Pitot tube ), Impact of Jeton surfaces, pipe friction equation, Head losses in pipes, Minor losses, pipe line problems, Open channel flow ( Chezy’s and Manning’s equation ), Centrifugal / Reciprocating pumps – pump work, efficiency, power, Pelton turbine / Francis turbine – working principle, Velocity diagram, Work done, efficiency Draft tube, specific speed, Hydraulic accumulator, Fluid coupling, Hydraulic press, intensifiers.
Heat, Temperature, Gas laws, Laws of thermodynamics, energy and entropy, Properties of steam, erthalpy and dryness fraction of steam , Description, and principle of working of different types of boilers, boiler fittings and their mountings, Steam power cycles and Air standard cycles. Introduction to reciprocating air compressor.
Air refrigeration ( Bell Coleman cycle ) including problems, Principle of vapour compression refrigeration, systems.
Production Engineering Group;
Operational features of basic machine tools like lathe, shaper, planer, drilling machine, grinding machines, milling machines, broaching machine, boring machines. Cutting tools – their profiles, material and heat treatment. Theory of metal cutting – basic elements of machining, chip formation and types of chips, machinability and machinability index, cutting fluid.
Press Work – Principle of blanking, piercing, drawing, bending embossing, coining.
Press tools – dies & punch.
Principles of Jigs & Fixtures.
Basic idea of (I) nontraditional machining like EDM, ECM, USM, LBM
(ii) CNC machine tools.
Iron – Carbon equilibrium diagram – heat treatment of steel.
General Principles of moulding methods & Pattern making,
33 marks types of pattern, pattern allowances – Core making and use –
Casting processes like Sand Casting, Die Casting, Centrifugal
33 marks Casting Investment ‘Casting – Casting defects & remedies.
34 marks Mechanical worlong of metals – forging, extrusion, rolling.
Welding and allied processes Gas Welding, arc welding, resistance welding, thermit welding, soldering, brazing – welding defects & remedies.
Industrial Management – Organisation structure & design organisational behaviour – Basic principles of production management, materials management, marketing management, financial management, PERT, CPM – Safety & environment mananagement. Metrology – principles and uses of micrometer, vernier calliper, screw pipe gauge, depth gauge, height gauge, sine bar – Surface finish concept of interchangeable system arid limits, fit & tolerance. Estimating & Costing ol materials for different processes.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.