Indian School of Mines All India Entrance Examination 2015
ISM Entrance Examination 2015
Declared as Deemed to be University U / S3 of the UGC act, 1956, Government of India.
Dhanbad – 826 004,
Phone No. : 0326 – 2235625,
Fax : 0326 – 2296563,
Email : email@example.com,
Website : www.ismdhanbad.ac.in.
Indian School of Mines ISM Dhanbad offers admission to M.Sc / M.Sc Tech / MTech / PhD Programs through All India Entrance Examination for the academic session 2015 – 2016.
Indian School of Mines All India Entrance Exam 2015
|ISM Dhanbad 2015 Exam Date : 10th May, 2015 – Sunday.|
ISM Dhanbad 2015 Eligibility
|SI.No.||Name of the Course||Minimum Qualification for ISM Entrance Exam 2015||Subject of ISM Entrance Examination|
|1||M. Sc. Tech. ( Applied Geology ) - 3 Year||B.Sc. Degree ( 3 year ) with Geology as Honours / Major / Main / Equivalent subject and any two subsidiary subjects from Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry||Geology|
|2||M. Sc. Tech. ( Applied Geophysics ) - 3 Year||B.Sc. Degree ( 3 year ) with Physics as Honours / Major / Main / Equivalent subject, Mathematics as a subsidiary subject for two years / four semesters and another subsidiary subject from Chemistry, Geology, Electronics, Statistics and Computer Science for one year / two semesters.||Physics|
|3||M.Sc. ( Applied Physics ) 2 Year||B.Sc. Degree ( 3 year ) with Physics as Honours / Major / Main / Equivalent subject, Mathematics as a subsidiary subject, or Mathematics as Honours / Major / Main / Equivalent subject with Physics as a subsidiary subject and another subsidiary subject from Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Electronics, Computer Science, Economics and Geography.||Physics|
|4||M.Sc. ( Chemistry ) 2 Year||B.Sc. Degree ( 3 year ) with Chemistry as Honours / Major / Main / Equivalent subject, Mathematics as a compulsory subsidiary subject, and another subsidiary from Physics, Geology, Zoology and Botany.||Chemistry|
|5||M. Sc. ( Mathematics & |
Computing ) - 2 Year
|B.Sc. Degree ( 3 year ) with Mathematics as Honours / Major / Main / Equivalent subject and two subsidiary subjects from Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Electronics and Computer Science.||Mathematics|
Note : In all the above courses, 4 Year B.Sc. B.Ed. Degree applicants are also eligible provided they also satisfy the above requirements. The term ‘Equivalent’ means a subject having higher weightage than other two subsidiary subjects.
The question paper will contain both short and descriptive type questions from the relevant subject of Entrance Examination. The medium of examination is English.
Applicants appearing in qualifying examination by June 2015 are also eligible to apply. If selected, their admission will be provisional and will stand cancel unless results are submitted to Assistant Registrar ( Academic ), ISM., Dhanbad – 826004 on or before 31st August, 2015.
Age Limit for ISM Dhanbad 2015
Applicant, born on or after October 1, 1991, is eligible for admission. Age limit for SC / ST / PD applicant is relaxed by 5 years and that of OBC applicants is relaxed by 3 years.
Reservation Seats for ISM Admissions 2015
- 15% seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste applicants, 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe applicants, 27% for OBC ( noncreamy layer ) applicants and 3% for PD ( Physically Disabled ) applicants as per the directives of the Government of India.
- One seat each for (i) J&K migrants ( JK ), (ii) wards of defence personnel ( DP ), (iii) Parsi ( PS ) applicants is reserved in various M.Sc. / M.Sc. Tech courses and any other reservations as per Government of India rules.
- Authorities competent to issue caste certificate of SC / ST / OBC ( non – creamy layer ) status include :
- District Magistrate / Additional District magistrate / Collector / Deputy Commissioner / Additional Deputy Commissioner / Deputy Collector / First Class Stipendiary Magistrate / Sub – Divisional Magistrate / Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate / Extra Assistant Commissioner ( not below the rank of First Class Stipendiary Magistrate );
- Chief Presidency Magistrate / Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate / Presidency Magistrate;
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar; and
- Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the applicant and / or his / her family normally resides.[ G.I. Dept. of Per. & Trg., Lr. No. 36012/22/93-Estt. (SCT), dated 15. 11. 1993 ].
- The OBC certificate should also indicate that he/she does not belong to the persons / sections ( creamy layer ) mentioned in the column 3 of the Schedule to the GOI, Department of Personnel & Training O. M. No. 36012/22/93-Estt.(SCT) dated 08/09/2003 which is modified vide O.M. No. 36033/3/2004 Estt. (Res) dated 09/03/2004 and O.M.No.36033/3/2008 Estt.(Res) dated 14/10/2008.OBC Applicants should attach an attested photocopy of valid and recent OBC ( Non Creamy Layer ) certificate in Government of India format only from competent authority which should not be older than six months from the last date of submission ( 17th April 2015 ) of applications, i.e. the OBC ( NCL ) certificate must be issued on or after 17th October, 2014. Otherwise the applicant will not get the benefit of OBC – NCL category.
ISM 2015 Number of Seats Available
The table below shows the number of seats available in each of the courses offered by I.S.M. for academic session 2015 – 16.
|Sl. No.||Course||Subject code for ISM Entrance Examination||GE||SC||ST||OB||Total||PD|
|1.||3 - Year M.Sc. Tech ( Applied Geology )||GL||31||09||05||17||62||02|
|2.||3 - Year M.Sc. Tech ( Applied Geophysics )||GP||22||07||03||12||44||01|
|3.||2 - Year M.Sc. ( Applied Physics )||PH||22 ||07||03||12||44||01|
|4.||2 - Year M.Sc. ( Chemistry )||CH||31||09||05||17||62||02|
|5.||2 - Year M.Sc.( Mathematics & Computing )||AM||22||07||03||12||44||01|
Besides, one seat each will be reserved for (i) J & K Migrants ( JK ), (ii) Wards of Defence Personnel ( DP ), (iii) Parsi ( PS ) applicants in various M.Sc. / M.Sc. Tech. programs. Seats reserved for PD ( Physically disabled ) / DP / PS applicants are inclusive within their respective categories. Seat for J&K Migrants and other reservation, if any, as per Government of India is supernumerary.
ISM Dhanbad 2015 Application Form
Indian School of Mines Information Bulletin can be downloaded from I.S.M. website www.ismdhanbad.ac.in from 13th February, 2015. The application form should be filled up online through I.S.M. website. After filling the details on the application form, applicants are required to submit the application online and take a printout of the system generated application form.
The candidates are required to send the printout of the system generated application form, payment receipt ( 1000/- for SC / ST / PD candidates only and 2,500/- for all other categories of candidates ), photocopies of all certificates and mark sheets to the office of the following address :
Deputy Registrar ( Exam & Academic ),
Indian School of Mines,
Dhanbad – 826004,
on or before 17th April, 2015. The envelope containing the print out of system generated application form and all other relevant documents should be superscribed as “Admission to M.Sc. / M.Sc. Tech MTech and PhD 2015”.
ISM Dhanbad Admit Card 2015
Indian School of Mines Admit cards will be available online and printout of this admit card has to be produced at the time of examination. I.S.M. will not send separate admit card to the candidates. All future correspondence should be addressed to :
Deputy Registrar ( Exam & Academic ), I.S.M.,
Dhanbad – 826004,
Note : Application fee, under any circumstances, will not be refunded. Applicants are advised to ensure fulfillment of all eligibility criteria before applying.
Indian School of Mines Important Dates 2015
- Opening date & time of online application : 13th February, 2015 ( Friday ), 11:00 A.M.
- Closing date & tine of online application : 6th April, 2015 ( Monday ), 12:00 Midnight.
- Last Date of depositing fees online : 6th April, 2015 ( Monday ).
- Last date for receipt of completed application from at ISM : 17th April, 2015, 5:00 P.M.
- Date and time of ISM Entrance Examination : 10th May, 2015 ( Sunday ), 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 Noon ( M Sc / M Sc tech ).
Centers for ISM Entrance Exam 2015
- New Delhi
- Pune and Varanasi.
A. Geology Syllabus for ISM Dhanbad M.Sc. Tech. Applied Geology Course ( 3 Year )
- General Geology : Age, origin and interior of the earth; formation of continents, and oceans; geological timescale; physiographic features of India. Processes of weathering, erosion, transportation and deposition. Geological work of running water ( river ), lake, glaciers, sea, wind, groundwater and organic life. Mountains, plateaus and plains. Volcanoes and earthquakes. Elementary ideas on plate tectonics.
- Mineralogy : Classification of minerals, and physical and chemical properties of important minerals. Doublerefraction, pleochroism, birefringence, interference figures, sign determination of uniaxial and biaxial minerals, optic axial angle. Diagnostic optical properties of important rock – forming minerals.
- Crystallography : Classification of crystal classes and crystal system, twinning, isomorphism, pseudomorphism and polymorphism.
- Petrology : Crystallisation, differentiation and assimilation of magma. Bowen’s Reaction Series. Processes of sedimentation and sedimentary structures. Types of metamorphism, metamorphic grades and facies. Classification, mode of occurrence, texture, structure and mineral composition of common igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.
- Strcutural Geology : Common structural features of rock masses. Stratification, joint, cleavage, schistosity and lineation; dip, strike, and thickness of beds. Effect of topography on outcrop of beds. Folds, faults and unconformities : their classification, description and recognition in field and on the geological maps.
- Economic Geology : Forms, mode of occurrences and classification of mineral deposits. Important processes of formation of economic mineral deposits. Some common and important metallic and non – metallic mineral deposits of India with particular reference to their geology, geographical occurrences and utilisation. Geology of fuels.
- Stratigraphy : Standard stratigraphical scale and its subdivisions. Principles of stratigraphy. Major geological formations of India with special reference to Archaean, Proterozoic, Palaeozoic, Mesozoic and Tertiary stratigraphy.
- Palaeontology : Fossils – definition, nature and mode of preservation. General description of most common fossil groups of invertebrates and plants. Stratigraphic distribution and evolutionary trends of common invertebrate phyla.
B. Physics Syllabus for ISM Dhanbad M.Sc. Applied Physics ( 2 Year ) & M.Sc. Tech. Applied Geophysics ( 3 Year ) courses
- General Physics : Linear and angular motion of particles. Newton’s Gravitational law, gravitational field due to geometrical bodies. Kepler’s law, escape velocities and satellites. Rotational motion, Moment of inertia for various geometrical bodies, Elastic modulii and their inter-relations, torque on cylinder, cantilever, ripples and gravity waves, Molecular theory of surface tension, Capillarity for liquid columns, Kinematics of moving fluids, equation of continuity, Euler’s equation, Bernaulli’s theorem, viscosity, Stokes law.
- Sound : Simple harmonic motion and its superposition, Velocity of sound waves. Dispersion and phase and group velocity of waves. Free, damped, forced vibrations. Fourier’s theorem and its applications, analyzing simple waveforms, concept of vibration of membrane, vibration of air column, vibrations of strings, acoustics of auditorium and building.
- Classical Mechanics : Hamilton’s principle, Lagrange’s and Hamilton’s equations of motion, Motion in a central field, inertia of ellipsoid and principal moments of inertia, moment of rigid body, Euler’s equation of rotating body, gyroscopic motion.
- Special Theory of Relativity : Inertial frames and Galilean invariance, Postulates, Lorentz transformation and consequences, length contraction and time dilation, Velocity dependence of mass. Relativistic velocity addition theorem. Mass energy equivalence.
- Statistical Physics : Distinguishable and indistinguishable particle, Maxwell – Boltzman, Fermi – Dirac and BoseEinstein distribution laws. Black body radiation : Planck’s radiation law-Wein’s and Raleigh – Jean’s distribution laws and Stefan’s law.
- Thermal Physics : Kinetic theory of gases. Laws of Thermodynamics, Isothermal and adiabatic processes. Reversible, irreversible and quasi – static processes, Carnot’s cycle, Entropy, Maxwell’s and T-dS equations. Phase transition and Clausius- Clapeyron’s equations, Latent heat equations for liquid and vapour. Liquification of gas, VanderWaal’s equation, Joule-Thomson effect, Enthalpy, Free energy.
- Optics : Combination of thin lenses and thick lens, Rayleigh’s criterion and resolving powers. Interference of light, Diffraction of light, Plane and concave gratings. Double refraction, Plane, circular and elliptical polarizations. Dispersion through prisms and grating. Zeeman effect, Stark effect; rotation and vibration spectra of molecules.
- Electricity / Magnetism : Gauss’s law, system of charges, conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, electrostatic energy, Bio – savart’s law, Ampere’s law, Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, self and mutual inductance, electric polarization and displacement, electric images, spacequantization, Stern – Gerlach experiment. Langevin’s theories of dia – and para – magnetism. Weiss’ theory of ferromagnetism, hysteresis, transients, L.C.R. circuit, alternating current, use of J-operator in solving electrical circuit problems, parallel and series-resonant circuits, transformers. Seebeck, Peltier, and Thomson effects, Poisson’s and Laplace’s equations. Maxwell’s field equations, plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting’s theorem, reflection and refraction at dielectric interface.
- Modern Physics : Nuclear disintegration, mass defect, packing fraction, binding energy, nuclear energy, elementary crystallography, crystal binding, Einstein’s and Debye’s theories of specific heat, free electron in metals. Fermi energy and density of states. Elementary band theory. Concept of hole & effective mass, Photoelectric, Compton and Raman effects. Active semiconductor devices- diodes and transistors, rectifier, simple voltage amplifier, principle of oscillator. Radio – activity, < α> and < β> spectra; theories of < α> and < β> decay.
C. Indian School of Mines Syllabus for M.Sc. ( Mathematics & Computing ) course ( 2 Year )
- Differential Calculus : Successive differentiation. Leibnitz’s theorem, Taylor’s and Mclaurin’s series of one and two variables, partial and total derivatives, maxima and minima of function of one, two and three variables, curvature and asymptotes.
- Integral Calculus : Definite integral, differentiation under integral sign. Improper Integrals, Beta, Gamma and error functions, double and triple integrals and their applications. Reimann – integration: necessary and sufficient conditions, Reimann Stieltjes integral as a generalization of Reimann integration, necessary and sufficient conditions for R-S integrability.
- Vector Calculus : Differentiation of scalar and vector point functions, Expansion formulae involving gradient, divergence and curl, line, surface and volume integration of vector function, Green’s, Gauss and Stoke’s theorems and their applications. Orthogonal curvilinear coordinates.
- Algebra : Convergence of series, Cauchy’s general principle of convergence, convergence of series of non-negative terms, comparison, Cauchy’s root, condensation, D’ Alembert’s, Raabe’s, De-Morgan and Bertrand, and logarithmic tests of convergence. Alternating series, conditional and absolute convergence, Power series. Solution of cubic and biquadratic equations.
- Abstract Algebra : Group : properties, abelian group, cyclic group, permutation group, order of an element of group, subgroups of a group and their properties. Normal subgroup, quotient group. Elementary ideas of a ring, integer domain and field and their properties.
- Boolean Algebra : Properties and relation in Boolean algebra, Application of Boolean algebra in electrical networks, solvability of Boolean equations and logical puzzles.
- Matrix Algebra : Rank and Inverse of a matrix, normal form of matrix, consistency conditions, solution of system of linear equations, linear and orthogonal transformations, eigen values and eigen vectors, Caley-Hamilton theorem, reduction to diagonal form and reduction of quadratic form to canonical form. Orthogonal, unitary and Hermitian matrices and their eigen values. Vector space and properties.
- Complex Variables : Analytic functions, Cauchy-Reimann equations, harmonic functions, complex integration, Cauchy’s theorem, Cauchy’s integral formula. Expansion of analytic functions in power series – Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residues, evaluation of integral using residue theorem.
- Differential Equations : Formation of differential equations, solution of first order and higher order differential equations with constant and variable coefficients. Simultaneous linear differential equations. Partial differential equations of first order. Application of differential equations.
- Dynamics : Motion in two dimensions: Velocity and acceleration parallel to coordinate axes, radial and transverse velocities and acceleration, tangential and normal velocities and acceleration, D’ Alembert’s principle.
- Laplace Transforms : Laplace transform of some elementary functions, properties, Laplace transforms of derivatives, Laplace transform of integrals, t-multiplication and t-division theorems, inverse Laplace transform, convolution theorem, applications.
- Numerical Methods : Finite difference, Interpolation in regular or irregular intervals, numerical differentiation and integration, numerical solution of first order ordinary differential equation, solution of non-linear equations, solution of simultaneous linear equations by Gaussian methods and method of factorization.
- Statistics : Probability of events, mutually exclusive and independent events, Baye’s theorem, probability mass and density functions, binomial, Poisson and normal distributions.
D. Chemistry Syllabus for ISM Dhanbad M.Sc. ( Chemistry ) Course ( 2 Year )
A. Physical Chemistry :
- Atomic structure : Fundamental particles, Bohr’s theory of hydrogen atom; wave particle duality; uncertainty principle; Schrödinger’s wave equation; quantum numbers, shapes of orbitals, Hund’s rule and Pauli’s exclusion principle.
- Theory of Gases : Kinetic theory of gases, Maxwall Boltzmann distribution law, Equipartition of energy.
- Chemical thermodynamics : Reversible and irreversible processes; First law and its application to ideal and nonideal gases; Thermo chemistry; Second law; Entropy and free energy, criteria for spontaneity.
- Chemical and Phase Equlibria : Law of mass action; Kp, Kc; Effect of temperature on K; Ionic equlibria in solutions; pH and buffer solutions, hydrolysis; solubility product. Phase equlibria – phase rule and its application to one component and two – component systems, Colligative properties.
- Electrochemistry : Conductance and its application; transport number, Galvanic cells, EMF and Free energy; Concentration cell with and without transport.
- Chemical Kinetics : Reactions of different order, Arrhenius equations, and Collision theory, Theory of absolute reaction rate; Chain reactions-Normal and branched chain reactions
B. Organic Chemistry :
- Basic concepts in organic chemistry and stereochemistry : Isomerism and nomenclature, electronic ( resonance and inductive ) effects. Optical isomerism in compounds containing one and two asymmetric centers, designation of absolute configuration, conformations of cyclohexanes.
- Aromaticity & Huckel’s rule : Mono & bicyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Organic reactions mechanism and synthetic applications : Methods of preparation and reactions of alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, arenes and their simple functional derivatives, Mechanism and synthetic applications of electrophilic aromatic substitution. Stereochemistry and mechanism of aliphatic nucleophilic substitution and elimination reactions. Mechanism of aldol condensation, Claisen condensation, esterification and ester hydrolysis, Cannizzaro reaction, benzoin condensation, Perkin reaction, Claisen rearrangement, Beckmann rearrangement and Wagner-Meerwein rearrangement. Synthesis of simple molecules using standard reactions of organic chemistry. Grignard reagents.
- Natural Products chemistry : Introduction to the various classes of compounds – alkaloids, terpenes, carbohydrates, amino acids and nucleic acids.
- Qualitative Organic analysis : Functional group interconversions, identification of functional groups by chemical tests.
C. Inorganic Chemistry :
- Periodic Table : Periodic classification of elements and periodicity in properties; general methods of isolation and purification of elements.
- Chemical Bonding and Shapes of compounds : Types of bonding; VSEPR theory and shapes of molecules; hybridization; dipole moment; ionic solids; structure of NaCl, CsCl, diamond and graphite; lattice energy.
- Main group Elements ( s- and p- blocks ) : Group relationship and gradation in properties; structure of electron deficient compounds of main group elements and their applications.
- Transition metals ( d – block ) : Characteristics of 3d elements; oxides, hydroxides and salts of first row metals; coordination complexes; VB and crystal field theories for structure, colour and magnetic properties of metal complexes.
D. Analytical Chemistry :
Principles of qualitative and quantitative analysis; acid –base, oxidation – reduction and precipitation reactions, use of indicators, radioactivity; nuclear reactions; applications of isotopes.
ISM Dhanbad 2015 Exam Date – ISM Dhanbad 2015 Eligibility – ISM Dhanbad 2015 Application Form – ISM Dhanbad 2015 Exam Centres – ISM Dhanbad 2015 Important Dates – ISM Dhanbad 2015 Syllabus Details.
Exams Date Related : ISM 2015 Online Application Form, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Examination Date, ISM Dhanbad MSc Entrance Exam 2015, Indian School of Mines All India Entrance Examination 2015, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Seats Availability, ISM Entrance Exam 2015 Schedule, ISM Dhanbad MSc Admission 2015, ISM Dhanbad Exam Centres 2015, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Eligibility Criteria, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Seats Allotments, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Online Application Last Date, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Age Limit, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Online Registration, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Exam Syllabus, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Test Date, ISM Entrance Exam 2015 Eligibility, Syllabus for ISM Dhanbad 2015, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Admit Card Download, ISM Dhanbad Entrance Test 2015 Date, Indian School of Mines Entrance Examination 2015, ISM Dhanbad Entrance Exam 2015 Syllabus, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Test Centres, Indian School of Mines Dhanbad Admission 2015, ISM Dhanbad 2015 Important Dates, ISM Dhanbad Admission Brochure 2015,
Posted In exams date : Leave a response for indian school of mines all india entrance examination 2015 by swathi