Indian School of Mines (ISM) All-India Entrance Examination for Masters Degree (M.Sc/MSc Tech)Exams Date »
ISM All-India Entrance Examination 2018
JAM 2018 is open to all nationals ( Indian / Foreign ). Candidates seeking admission to the academic programmes covered under JAM 2018 need to appear in JAM 2018. There is no age restriction.
ISM All-India Entrance Examination Eligibility 2018
The candidates who qualify in JAM 2018 shall have to fulfill the following Eligibility Requirements ( ER ) for admissions in IITs.
- All candidates admitted through JAM should have a Bachelor’s degree.
- In the qualifying degree, the aggregate marks or CGPA / CPI without rounding-off ( taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) should be at least 55% or 5.5 out of 10 for General / OBC ( NCL ) category candidates and 50% or 5.0 out of 10 for SC / ST and PwD category candidates.
- For Candidates with letter grades / CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute ( s ).
- Proof of having passed the Qualifying Degree with the Minimum Educational Qualifications ( MEQ ) as specified by the Admitting Institute should be submitted by 30th September, 2018.
- At the time of admission, all admitted candidates will have to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. At the time of admission, the admitted candidates may also have to undergo a physical fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute. In case a candidate is not found physically fit to pursue his / her chosen course of study, his / her admission is liable to be cancelled.
It will entirely be the responsibility of the Candidate to prove that he/she satisfies the Minimum Educational Qualifications ( MEQs ) and Eligibility Requirements ( ERs ) for Admission. The Admitting Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he / she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in force.
ISM All-India Entrance Exam Pattern 2018
The JAM 2018 Examination for all the seven test papers will be carried out as ONLINE Computer Based Test ( CBT ) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. For all the seven test papers, the duration of the examination will be 3 hours. The medium for all the test papers will be English only. There will be a total of 60 questions carrying 100 marks. The entire paper will be divided into three sections, A, B and C. All sections are compulsory. Questions in each section will be of different types as given below
- Section–A : contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions ( MCQ ) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ type question has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section–B : contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ type question is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice ( s ) that are correct out of the four given choices. The candidate gets full credit only if he / she selects all the correct answers only and no wrong answers. Candidates can mark the answer ( s ) by clicking the choice ( s ).
- Section–C : contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type ( NAT ) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for these types of questions.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero mark. In Section-A ( MCQ ), wrong answer will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer of 1 mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly for each wrong answer of 2 marks questions, 2 / 3 mark will be deducted. In Section-B ( MSQ ), there are no negative and no partial marking provisions. There is no negative marking in Section-C ( NAT ) as well.
- There is provision of using online virtual calculator and hence, the candidates should not bring any calculator with them.
- Mobile phones or any other electronic devices are strictly prohibited inside examination hall. Charts, graph sheets, and tables are also NOT allowed inside the examination hall.
- A scribble pad will be provided for rough work and this has to be returned back at the end of the examination.
- The candidates are required to select the answer for MCQ and MSQ type questions using the mouse. The answer for NAT questions can be entered using a virtual numeric keypad ( the keyboard of the computer will be disabled ). At the end of the 3 hours, the computer will automatically end the examination.
Use of unfair means by a candidate in JAM 2018, whether detected at the time of examination, or at any other stage, will lead to the cancellation of his / her candidature as well as disqualification of the candidate from appearing in JAM in future. The candidates are advised to visit the JAM 2018 website for more details on the patterns of questions for JAM 2018, including examples of the questions. Candidates will also be able to take a mock examination through a ‘Mock Test’ link that will be made available on the website closer to the examination date.
The JAM 2018 online Examination will be held on 11th February, 2018 ( Sunday ) in two sessions as Computer Based Test ( CBT ). The schedule for different Test Papers of JAM 2018.
|Exam Date||Session||Time||Test Papers and Codes|
|11th February, 2018 ( Sunday )||I||9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon||Biotechnology ( BT ), Chemistry ( CY ), Geology ( GG ) and Mathematical Statistics ( MS )|
|II||2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.||Biological Sciences ( BL ), Mathematics ( MA ) and Physics ( PH )|
The Test Schedule will not be changed under any circumstances.
Number of Test Papers Allowed
A candidate can appear in either one or two Test Paper ( s ). Such a candidate desirous of appearing in two Test Papers must ensure that these Test Papers are not scheduled in the same session. For appearing in the second Test Paper, a requisite additional fee should be paid.
ISM All-India Entrance Examination Application Form 2018
How to apply
- Candidates can apply for JAM 2018 only through JAM Online Application Processing System ( JOAPS ) link available at website http://jam.iitb.ac.in.
- The facility for Online Registration and Application will be available through the website from 05th September, 2017.
- Last Date for Online Application Submission and Uploading of Documents on the Website is 10th October, 2017.
- A candidate has to first register on JOAPS website, by providing his / her name, a valid E-mail address, a working mobile number and a password.
- The candidate must give an E-mail address that he / she uses and checks frequently, as all communications to the candidate from JAM 2018 will be sent to this E-mail address.
- The candidate must not use somebody else’s E-mail address and only one candidate can be registered with one E-mail address.
- Similarly, the candidate should provide his / her personal mobile number because most of the communications may also be sent via SMS.
- The password that the candidate provides should be chosen so that it cannot be guessed easily by others and this password must not be forgotten by the candidate as he / she will require it to login to the online application website.
- Upon successful registration, an E-mail containing candidate’s Enrolment ID will be sent to the E-mail address provided by the candidate. The Enrolment ID will also be sent to the mobile number provided by the candidate.
- The candidate needs to use this enrolment ID along with the password for all JAM 2018 related communications or website operations. Keep your ID along with the password information safe and confidential.
- JOAPS provides an online interface to the candidate for interacting with the JAM Administration. With this interface, a candidate can do the following
- Apply for the examination online.
- Upload photograph, signature and other documents like category certificate ( if applicable ), PwD certificate ( if applicable ), etc.
- Pay the application fee through any of the electronic payment modes.
- Check the Status of the application form: Received, Under scrutiny, Accepted, Defect status, Status after rectification, Rejected with valid reasons, Admit card ready for download, etc.
- Download Admit Card.
- View your answers, marks and JAM score.
- Download JAM scorecard.
- Submission of application for Admission
- Candidates are discouraged from making application through a third person. If someone else ( friend or Internet café person ) is filling the application on behalf of the candidate, the candidate must ensure that the data submitted are correct.
- It has been noticed during earlier occasions that the information filled by other person on behalf of the candidate was wrong, since they did not have correct information about the candidate.
- Hence, we strongly discourage such practice while filling the online application form.
Data Requirement for Filling the Application form
The following data will be required while filling the form at JOAPS
- Personal information ( name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, etc. ) . Please note that the name of the candidate in the application form must exactly be the same as per the qualifying degree certificate. JAM 2018 Score Card will be issued as per the name entered in the application form. Prefix / title such as Mr / Shri / Dr / Mrs / Smt, etc. should NOT be used before name.
- Address for Communication ( including PIN code )
- Eligibility degree details
- College name and address with PIN code
- JAM paper / s
- Choice of JAM Examination cities
- High-quality image of candidate’s photograph conforming to the requirements specified
- Good-quality image of candidate’s signature conforming to the requirements specified
- Scanned copy of Category ( SC / ST ) Certificate ( if applicable ) in pdf format
- Scanned copy of PwD Certificate ( if applicable ) in pdf format
- Details of the valid Identity Document ( ID ) ( This ID proof, in original, should be carried by the candidate to the examination hall )
- Net-banking / debit card / credit card details for fee payment
The JOAPS allows you to enter the data, “Save” partially filled form, “Logout”, and “Resume Filling” by logging in again. The JOAPS portal is self-explanatory and user-friendly. Additional help information required in filling various fields in the JOAPS portal will be made available.
Upon logging into the JAM 2018 application processing website, the candidate needs to fill in information, such as parent / guardian’s name and mobile number, city choices, the number and choice of test paper ( s ) that he / she wishes to appear, date of birth, gender, address for communication, category and PwD status. The candidate’s application fee will get determined based on this information. The candidate should also fill his / her other details, such as information on qualifying degree, percentage of marks / CGPA, details of valid personal ID information, etc. It may be noted that the candidate can specify any one of the following photo ID cards for the personal ID information: Aadhaar ID, College ID, Driving License, Employee ID, PAN Card, Passport, or Voter ID.
The JAM 2018 application requires that your photograph and signature are uploaded electronically at JOAPS. Uploading photograph and signature that does not meet the specifications can result in disqualification of the application without any refund of the application fee.
- Candidates are requested to pay attention to upload only good quality photograph. The JAM Score Card will be printed with the photograph you submit.
- The photograph must match with your appearance on the day of the examination.
- A passport size ( 3.5 cm Width × 4.5 cm Height ) photograph of the face of the candidate is required for application form.
- The photograph must be in COLOR and taken after 01 August 2017 in a professional studio. Photographs taken using a mobile phone and other self-composed portraits may result in the rejection of application.
- Request photo studio to provide the image of your photo in a JPEG format and also on a standard 3.5 cm × 4.5 cm ( Width × Height ) print.
- Maximum size of the JPEG image can be 480×640 in pixels ( 0.3 Mega pixel ) ( Request photo studio to reduce it to this size if it is larger ) . Minimum pixel size of the JPEG image can be 240×320. File size of the image should be in the range of 5KB to 200KB.
- Background of the photograph must be white or a very light colour.
- The face should occupy at least 50% of the area of the photograph with a full-face view looking into the camera directly.
- The main features of the face must not be covered by hair of the head, any cloth or any shadow. Forehead, eyes, nose and chin should be clearly visible.
- If you normally wear spectacles, a photograph with glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. While you may wear spectacles for the photo shoot, if glare cannot be avoided, then remove the spectacles.
- You must not wear spectacles with dark or tinted glasses, only clear glasses are permitted.
- Poor quality of the photograph submitted will lead to rejection of your JAM application, without any refund of the application fee.
Candidates are requested to draw a rectangular box of size 2 cm × 7 cm ( Height × Width ) on an A4 white paper. Sign with black or dark blue ink pen within this box.
- The signature with all CAPITAL LETTERS, Initials or in any other colour ( other than black and blue ) shall NOT be accepted.
- Get the digital image of the rectangular box ( with your signature inside ) scanned by using a professional scanner. Crop it to the border of the box. Table 5 shows sample signatures that are acceptable and unacceptable.
- Only JPEG image format will be accepted.
- The maximum image size of the signature can be 160×560 in pixels.
- The minimum image size of the signature can be 80×280 in pixels.
- File size of the image should be in the range of 5KB to 100KB.
- Female ( All Categories ) / SC / ST / PwD Candidates have to pay the application fee of ₹750/- for one test paper, for two test papers they need to pay ₹1050,
- All Others have to pay the application fee of ₹1500/- for one test paper, for two test papers they need to pay ₹2100.
- The application fee is non-refundable
- The candidate will be able to make the payment using his / her net-banking account, debit or credit card until 10th October, 2017.
- Additional bank charges may apply for the transaction depending on the payment option.
- This charge will be specified on the payment portal.
- Before proceeding for making any payment applicant should view his application by clicking the “Save and Preview” button.
- They should go through the application and ensure that there is no error in the application form and all the relevant and valid documents are uploaded.
- If there any corrections, they can go back and do the correction. After this they should click on “Proceed for Payment” button.
- Once a candidate presses “Proceed for Payment” button, NO FURTHER CHANGES in the application form can be made and the candidate will be directed to the payment portal. On the fee payment portal, the fee amount and bank charges will be shown and the candidate has to confirm that the payment is for JAM 2018.
- Once confirmed and payment is successful, the candidate will be redirected back to the JAM Online Application Website, where it shows confirmation of the fee payment.
- If you had selected only ONE Paper there will be an option to choose a second paper. If you desire to do so, you can proceed by paying the additional amount as indicated.
- If a candidate has difficulty making the payment ( due to internet connection or power failure, for example ) or is not sure whether payment has been processed or not, then they should login back to JOAPS website after one-hour and check the status of the payment.
- If status is “Fee Pending / Not Paid” then initiate a fresh online payment through JOAPS fee payment portal. Otherwise the application will be rejected due to non-payment of the application fee in time.
- In case, the fee amount has been debited from your bank account, but JOAPS does not acknowledge any fee payment, then the money will be credited back to your account within seven working days.
ISM All-India Entrance Examination Admit Card 2018
- An Admit Card, bearing the Candidate’s Name, Registration Number, Photograph, Signature and Name ( s ) and Code ( s ) of the Test Paper ( s ) applied along with the Name and Address of the Test Centre allotted, will be available for download from JOAPS website from 09th January, 2018 untill Examination Date.
- Admit Cards will not be sent by post / E-mail. The Candidate should carefully examine the Admit Card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the Candidate should inform the Organizing Chairperson, JAM 2018, IIT Bombay immediately.
- If a candidate is not able to download his / her Admit Card, then the Chairman JAM of the respective IISc / IITs, under which the first choice Test City / Town of the candidate falls, may be contacted through Phone / Fax / E-mail, and provide the Online Enrolment ID, Name, E-mail ID, Mobile Number, Mailing Address and City Code of the desired Test Centre ( first choice ) to get information about the Registration Number and the Name of the Test Centre allotted.
- A printout of the downloaded Admit Card must be brought to the Test Centre along with the original and valid photo identification. Candidates are requested to note that they have to give the details of this ID proof while filling the online application.
- No candidate will be permitted to appear in JAM 2018 examination without a valid Admit Card, and a valid and original ID. The Admit Card should be presented to the invigilators / JAM officials for verification. The Admit Card of JAM 2018 must be carefully preserved by the Candidate and produced at the time of admission, if required by the Admitting Institute.
- The Organizing Institute may withdraw the permission granted to a candidate to appear in JAM 2018, if it is found later on that the candidate is not eligible to appear in the exam, even though an Admit Card has been issued and is produced by the candidate before the Presiding Officer of the Test Centre.
ISM All-India Entrance Examination Centre 2018
|Asansol - Durgapur||401|
ISM All-India Entrance Examination Selection Process 2018
- Only candidates who qualify in JAM 2018 ( whose names appear in the Merit List ) will be eligible to apply for admission to any of the corresponding academic programmes available at IITs. Candidates are advised, in their own interest, to refer to the brief profiles of the Admitting Institutes and Departments at their respective websites.
- Applicants should note that they have to apply for admission by filling an online Application Form for Admission ( henceforth called Admission Form ) available only at JAM 2018 website.
- Based on the test paper ( s ) qualified, an applicant can apply to one or more academic programmes covered under that test paper ( s ) , subject to fulfillment of the Minimum Educational Qualifications ( MEQs ) and the Eligibility Requirements ( ERs ) of the Admitting Institutes.
- For the academic session 2018-19, the following admission procedure shall be followed for all the Programmes at IITs covered under JAM 2018.
- Candidates are also advised to refer to the JAM 2018 website for latest updates.
ISM All-India Entrance Examination Important Dates 2018
|1||Commencement of ONLINE Registration |
and Application on JAM 2018 Website
|05th September, 2017|
|2||Last Date for Online Application Submission |
and Uploading of Documents on the Website
|10th October, 2017|
|3||Last Date for Payment of Application Fee |
through Online process
|10th October, 2017|
|4||Date of JAM 2018 Examination||11th February, 2018|
|5||Announcement of the Results of JAM 2018||20th March, 2018|
|6||Submission of Application Form for Admission |
on the JAM 2018 Website
|03rd - 17th April, 2018|
|7||Last Date for receipt of request for change |
of category in proper format/ rectification
of defective documents at IIT Bombay
|07th May, 2018|
|8||Declaration of First Admission List||22nd May, 2018|
|9||Declaration of Second Admission List||12th June, 2018|
|10||Declaration of Third and Final Admission List||29th June, 2018|
|11||Closure of Admissions through JAM 2018||05th July, 2018|
Indian School of Mines (ISM),
Phone: (0326)2210024/ 25/ 26/ 27
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.