Indian Statistical Institute-Admission Test 2006
203 B. T. Road, Kolkata – 700 108
Session 2006 – 2007
B.Stat.(Hons.),B.Math.(Hons.),M.Stat.,M.Math.,M.S.(QE), M.Tech.(CS), M.Tech.(QROR), Other Courses and Fellowships.
Applications are invited for the following programmes from the candidates having qualifications as shown against each programme. Stipend/Fellowship as mentioned against each programme will be available to the deserving candidates.
1. 3-year B.Stat. (Hons.) : Successful completion of 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent with Mathematics and English. Stipend Rs. 800/- per month. (
Offered in Kolkata).
2. 3-year B.Math. (Hons.) : Successful completion of 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent with Mathematics and English. Stipend Rs. 800/- per month. (
Offered in Bangalore).
3. 2-year M.Stat.
: 3-year Bachelor’s degree with Statistics as full subject, or a B.Stat./B.Math. degree from the Indian Statistical Institute or a Statistician’s Diploma/Senior Diploma in Statistics from the Indian Statistical Institute. Stipend Rs. 1200/- per month.
First year offered in Delhi).
4. 2-year M.Math.
: 3-year Bachelor’s degree or a B.E./B.Tech. degree, with Mathematics and an exceptionally strong background in Analysis and Abstract Algebra or a B.Stat./B.Math. degree of the Indian Statistical Institute. Stipend Rs. 1200/- per month. (
Offered in Kolkata).
5. 2-year Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Economics : 3-year Bachelor’s degree in Economics/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Physics or a B.Stat. degree from the Indian Statistical Institute. Engineering graduates are also eligible. Candidates should have knowledge of Economics and Mathematics at the B.A./B.Sc. pass level. Stipend Rs. 1200/- per month (
Offered in Kolkata & Delhi).
6. 2-year M.Tech. in Computer Science : (i) Master’s degree in Mathematics/Statistics/ Physics/ Electronic Sciences/ Computer Science/Information Technology/Computer Applications or (ii) Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology or any other qualification considered equivalent (such as AMIE or, GRAD-IETE or, DOEACC ‘B’ Level). Stipend Rs. 4000/- per month. (
Offered in Kolkata).
7. 2-year M.Tech. in Quality, Reliability and Operations Research : (i) Master’s degree in Statistics or Master’s degree in Mathematics with Probability and Statistics as major subjects or Bachelor’s degree in Engg./Tech. or equivalent or PG diploma in SQC & OR from Indian Statistical Institute and (ii) Knowledge of Mathematics at graduate level and knowledge of Physics and Chemistry at Higher Secondary level. Stipend Rs. 4000/- per month. (
Offered in Kolkata).
A candidate who was asked to discontinue in any of the above programmes is not eligible for readmission to the same programme.
8. Junior Research Fellowships :
(a) Statistics : (i) A good academic record with M.Stat., M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Statistics or, (ii) outstanding mathematical maturity with B.Stat./B.Math., B.A./B.Sc. or equivalent degree with Statistics as the main subject.
(b) Mathematics : (i) A good academic record with M.Stat., M.Math., M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Mathematics or, (ii) outstanding mathematical maturity with B.Stat./B.Math., B.A./B.Sc. or equivalent degree with Mathematics as the main subject.
(c) Computer and Communication Sciences : A good academic record with M.E./ M.Tech. or equivalent degree in Electronics/ Telecommunication/ Radio Physics/ Computer Science/ Electrical Engineering/Microwave Communications/Information Technology or a good academic record with M.Sc./ M.C.A./ M.A. or equivalent degree in Physics/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Electronic Sciences/Computer Science/ Atmospheric Science. Outstanding candidates having B.E./ B.Tech./ equivalent degree in the above subjects will also be eligible.
(d) Economics : (i) A good academic record with M.S.(QE), M.Stat., M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Statistics/ Mathematics/ Economics/ Econometrics or, (ii) outstanding mathematical maturity with B.A./B.Sc. degree with Economics as the main subject. A
candidate possessing a Master’s degree in any subject with Mathematics/Statistics at B.A./B.Sc. (Pass) level will also be eligible.
(e) Demography : A good academic record with Master’s degree in Statistics/ Demography/ Population Science/ Population Studies/ Applied Mathematics .
(f) Physics and Applied Mathematics : A good academic record with M.Sc. in Physics/Mathematics/Statistics.
(g) Agriculture & Ecology : A good academic record with M.Sc. (Agriculture) in Agronomy with B.Sc. (Agriculture).
(h) Sociology : A good academic record with M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Sociology/ Anthropology/ Economics/ History or any other subject in Social Sciences.
(i) Psychology : A good academic record with M.A./M.Sc. in Psychology/ Applied Psychology.
(j) Human Genetics : A good academic record with M.Sc. in Biochemistry/ Biophysics/Biotechnology/Human Genetics/Life Sciences/Molecular Genetics/Statistics or, M.Stat .
(k) Library and Information Science : A good academic record with Associateship in Documentation and Information Science of Indian Statistical Institute or INSDOC or Master’s degree in Library and Information Science with at least 55% marks in under graduate & post graduate degree programme.
Fellowship for 8(a) to 8(k) : i) applicants with M.E./M.Tech. or equivalent : Rs. 9000/- per month and ii) for others : Rs.
8000/- per month. A Special Fellowship of Rs. 12000/- p.m. is also available for outstanding candidates in each of the subjects: (i) Statistics, (ii) Mathematics, (iii) Computer Science and (iv) Economics.
9. 2-year Associateship in Documentation and Information Science: (i) Bachelor’s degree in Library Science, or (ii) Master’s degree in any subject with at least two years’ library/documentation/information handling experience or (iii) a four year plus degree, such as B.E. and M.B.B.S. with at least two years’ library/documentation/information handling experience. The candidates must have secured at least 55% marks in undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, as applicable. Stipend Rs.1500/- per month. (
Offered in Bangalore).
The complete details are available in the Prospectus.
8(k) offered only in Bangalore. 8(a), 8(b) are offered in Kolkata, Delhi & Bangalore. 8(d) offered in Kolkata and Delhi. Remaining JRF programmes are offered only in Kolkata. Selection of candidates is based on academic record, written tests and interviews conducted by the Institute. Detailed procedures of selection of the candidates who have been offered Junior Research Fellowships by the CSIR/ NBHM are available in the prospectus.
Due consideration will be given to disabled candidates. Limited hostel facilities are available. Candidates who are due to complete the qualifying examinations before 01 July 2006 may also apply. Prospectus and application form can be obtained from the following offices of Indian Statistical Institute by post or in person. (a) Dean of Studies, Indian Statistical Institute, 203, Barrackpore Trunk Road, Kolkata 700 108, (b) Head, Delhi Centre, Indian Statistical Institute, 7, S.J.S. Sansanwal Marg, Near Qutab Hotel, Opposite Katwaria Sarai, New Delhi 110 016, (c) Head, Bangalore Centre, Indian Statistical Institute, 8th Mile, Mysore Road, R. V. College Post, Bangalore 560 059, (d) Head, SQC & OR Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Chateau D’ Ampa (1st floor), 110 Nelson Manickam Road, Aminjikarai, Chennai 600 029, (e) Head, SQC & OR Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Street No. 8, Habshiguda, Hyderabad 500 007, by paying an amount of
Rs. 450/- in cash (from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on working days from Monday to Friday) or by
bank draft in favour of “Indian Statistical Institute” payable at Kolkata (proper). Request for application forms should have mailing address in CAPITALS.
Postal orders, Money orders and Cheques will not be accepted.
Prospectus and Application form are also available on our website
in PDF format. Candidates who want to send the downloaded application form should carefully read the instructions given in the website before filling in the application.
Distribution of Prospectus and Application Form : 07 February 2006 to 03 March 2006
Last date for receiving completed application forms : 24 March 2006
Date of Selection Test (India and abroad) : 07 May 2006