Tata Institute of Social Sciences Admission 2017
Tata Institute of Social Sciences invites application for admission to Integrated M.Phil – Ph.D Program for the academic year 2017.
TISS Admission 2017 Eligibility
Eligibility for the Integrated M.Phil and Ph.D. Programs
TISS applicants will be shortlisted for the Research Aptitude Test ( RAT ) on basis of them meeting the following considerations with regard to educational qualifications, work experience and research proposal :
TISS MPhil PhD Educational Qualifications :
- The minimum academic qualification for admission to the integrated M.Phil. & Direct Ph.D programs is a Second Class Master’s or equivalent degree in the relevant subject awarded by a recognised university in India or abroad, with at least an average of 55 per cent of aggregate marks, or a grade point average of 3.5 under the seven – point scale of the University Grants Commission ( UGC ). In the case of Scheduled Caste ( SC ) and Scheduled Tribe ( ST ) candidates, the minimum eligibility is an average of 50 percent of aggregate marks, or a grade point average of 3.05.
- Candidates who are likely to complete all the requirements of their final year Master’s Degree examinations by July 1, are also eligible to apply for M.Phil, provided they have successfully completed their first year Masters degree. In such cases, admission will be provisional. If a provisionally admitted student successfully completes the admission formalities such as clearing the Research Aptitude Test, but fails to score the minimum required mark / grade at the end of the final year examination of his / her Master’s degree, the offer of provisional admission will be automatically cancelled.
Work Experience :
- A minimum of five years of post graduation work experience is required for Direct PhD programs. In case of the Integrated M.Phil – PhD Program, there is no requirement of work experience. However, candidates with one to two years of work experience, will be preferred.
Research Proposal :
- TISS candidates must prepare their research proposal based on the research interests mentioned in the Information brochure.
- TISS candidates who have an M.Phil or equivalent degree awarded by a recognized university in India or abroad are also eligible for a Direct PhD.
TISS MPhil PhD 2017 Selection Procedure
- The list of all eligible candidates amongst the candidates who apply for Integrated M.Phil-Ph.D. programme and direct Ph.D. Programme will be displayed on the Institute website on 30tn January, 2017. The eligible candidates will be invited for the Written Test ( Research Aptitude Test – RAT ) to be held at all the TISS Campuses on on 10th February, 2017. Candidates can opt to take the RAT at any of the campuses.
- The model paper and rules for the Research Aptitude Test ( RAT ) along with the guidelines for shortlisting will be put up on the TISS website by early January 2017.
- Candidates who have cleared JRF, GATE and other relevant exams are also expected to attend the Written Test and Personal Interview.
- The list of shortlisted candidates from the eligible list of candidates for all the programmes will be displayed on the TISS website by 28th February, 2017. These candidates will be required to appear for the PI’s as per the email communication sent to them.
- Apart from the fulfillment of academic criteria the short listing of applicants for the Personal Interviews for Integrated M. Phil – Ph. D. programme and direct Ph. D. programme will be linked to the statement of purpose / research proposal and the domain expertise available at the Schools / Centre.
- Candidates with visual impairment will have to indicate the impairment in the application form. They will be provided with a writer for the written test.
- The final selection process will be completed by mid May and the final list of candidates and relevant information will be uploaded on the TISS website.
- All candidates who appear in the final selection list are required to bring a hard copy of their duly filled in application form duly filled along with original caste, income and degree certificates as applicable for verification.
- Selected candidates are expected to pay fees by end of May 2017.
- All the programmes will begin by mid June 2017 or on a date as indicated in the offer letter at the time of admission.
TISS MPhil PhD 2017 Application Form
- TISS candidates must complete the application process in online mode. The online application can be saved at any stage ( information entered will remain intact ). The candidate can then return to the application by logging in with the respective user name and password at any time before the submission deadline of 16th January, 2017.
- Once the application has been submitted online, candidates can choose the mode of payment of the application fees ( Credit card, Debit card or net banking ).
TISS MPhil PhD 2017 Application Fee Payment
|No. of programmes||Online Payment by Credit Card / Debit Card||Online Payment by Netbanking||Cash Deposit in any SBI Branch using the prescribed challan|
|General||Eligible SC / ST / OBC ( NC )||General||Eligible SC / ST / OBC ( NC )||General||Eligible SC / ST / OBC ( NC )|
|Applying for 1 Programme||1,535||410||1,535||410||1,500 /- + Bank Charges||375 + Bank Charges|
|Applying for 2 Programmes||3,070||820||3,070||820||3,000 /- + Bank Charges||750 + Bank Charges|
- In case of payment by cash deposit in an SBI branch, please note that the SBI will charge 50/- as their processing fee for each deposit, which cannot be adjusted against the application fee.
- Payments made via demand draft, pay order or any mode other than the above modes is not acceptable and the application will be rejected. No communication to this effect will be sent to such candidates.
- Candidates applying online will be asked to choose between two modes of payment ‘Cash’ or ‘Pyment Gateway’ in the online application form. If the preferred mode of payment is ‘Cash’, a payment challan has to be downloaded from the ‘Download Challan’ tab. The payment challan will have 3 copies. Deposit the cash amount mentioned on the challan in any branch of State Bank Of India. The bank will return two copies of the challan ( Student Copy and TISS Copy ) with the banks seal, signature and journal number on it. Candidates have to scan the ‘TISS Copy’ of the challan, login back to the online application system and upload it.
TISS MPhil PhD 2017 Important Dates:
|1||Last date for submission of TISS Application Form||16th January, 2017 by 6.00 p.m.|
|2||Announcement of shortlisted Candidates for RAT||30th January, 2017 by 9.00 p.m.|
|3||Research Aptitude Test ( RAT )||10th February, 2017|
|4||Announcement of candidates invited for Personal Interview ( PI )||28th February, 2017|
|5||Personal Interview : Guwahati Campus|
Personal Interview : Mumbai CampusPersonal Interview : Hyderabad Campus
Personal Interview : Tuljapur Campus
|Between 22nd – 31st March, 2017|
|6||Announcement of selected candidates ( all campuses )||End of April, 2017|
Tata Institute of Social Sciences,
V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar,
Telephone No : 91-22-2552 5000,
Fax No : 91-22-2552 5050,
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org ,
|TISS Online Application : https://mphilphd-admissions.tiss.edu/|