Events in India
Events in India 2015
- 1st January, 2015 – NITI Aayog was established to replace Planning Commission of India.
- 2nd – 3rd January, 2015 – Gyan Sangam, a two-day retreat took place at Pune, it was attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan and chiefs of various financial institutions.
- 8th – 9th January, 2015 – Annual Pravasi Bharatiya Divas conference took place in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- 13th January, 2015 – 32 died in Malihabad, Uttar Pradesh after drinking hooch.
- 26th January, 2015 – Republic Day celebrations were held, US President Barack Obama was the chief guest.
- 27th January, 2015 – M. N. Rai, a colonel in the Rashtriya Rifles and Sanjeev Kumar Singh, a head constable in the Special Operations Group, died in a gun battle in Tral in Pulwama district. Two militants were also killed. M. N. Rai had been awarded the Yudh Seva medal on 26th January, 2015.
- 31st January, 2015 – The Agni-V was test launched from a canister in Wheeler Island, suitable for road or rail mobile launch vehicles.
- 8th February, 2015 – Polling for the New Delhi state elections held.
- 10th February, 2015 – Delhi Legislative Assembly election’s results announced with Aam Aadmi Party securing 67 of 70 seats.
- 13th February, 2015 – A grenade attack by the United Liberation Front of Assam on a family in the town of Sepon in India’s Assam state killed two people.
- 14th February, 2015 – A house under construction collapsed in the Indian city of Mughalsarai in the state of Uttar Pradesh killing twelve people and injuring two.
- 15th February, 2015 – The number of reported deaths of swine flu in India reached 585, with Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra being the worst-affected with reported death tolls at 165, 144, 76 and 58 respectively.
- 16th February, 2015 – Govind Pansare, a CPI politician and his wife were shot at in Kolhapur, Maharashtra. Govind Pansare later died on 20th February, 2015.
- 18th February, 2015 – The Cabinet Committee on Security approves the construction of seven stealth frigates and six nuclear submarines for the Indian Navy.
- 18th – 22nd February, 2015 – The 10th edition of Aero India took place at Yelahanka Air Force Station near Bangalore.
- 23rd February, 2015 – Budget session of the Parliament began with the President’s address to the joint session of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
- 28th February, 2015 – Union Budget presented to the Parliament by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- 3rd March, 2015 – National Electoral Roll Purification and Authentication Programme launched by the Election Commission of India.
- 17th March, 2015 – Supreme Court of India rejected the classification of Jat people as Other Backward Classes.
- 18th March, 2015 – Beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile, Astra, was successfully test fired from a Su-30MKI in test range in Chandipur, Orissa.
- 23rd March, 2015 – Amaravathi was announced to be name of the new capital of Andhra Pradesh, to be built near Thullur.
- 24th March, 2015 – Supreme Court of India declared Section 66A of the Information Technology Act, 2000 unconstitutional.
- 26th March, 2015 – National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT) unveiled Polar Remotely Operated Vehicle (PROVe), which would be used to study the monsoon.
- 27th March, 2015 – Bharat Ratna was awarded to former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- 28th March, 2015 – ISRO placed Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) 1-D satellite in orbit by a PSLV C-27 launch vehicle.
- 29th March, 2015 – India began to evacuate its citizens from Yemen.
- 30th March, 2015 – Bharat Ratna awarded to freedom fighter Madan Mohan Malaviya posthumously.
- 1st April, 2015 – Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric vehicles in India ( FAME India) scheme was launched by the government to boost electric and hybrid vehicle sales.
- 5th April, 2015 – Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, launched the “Give it Up” campaign urging rich people to give up LPG subsidy.
- 7th April, 2015 – Police killed 20 Red sanders, Pterocarpus santalinus smugglers in Chittoor district.
- 8th April, 2015–
- The Padma awards were given at the Rashtrapati Bhawan. Among the 50 recipients were actor Amitabh Bachchan, actor Dilip Kumar, nuclear scientist M.R. Srinivasan, mathematician Manjul Bhargava, computer scientist Vijay P. Bhatkar, Hindu spiritual guru Swami Satyamitranand and Aga Khan IV.
- The Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency Bank (MUDRA Bank) was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The financial institution aims to provide financing to small entrepreneurs.
- 10th April, 2015 – India completed evacuating citizens from Yemen, and announced the closure of embassy. In all, about 4,640 Indians and 960 nationals from 41 other countries were evacuated.
- 11th April, 2015 – Maoists killed 7 of personnel of Chhattisgarh’s Special Task Force in south Bastar.
- 25th April, 2015 – Nepal earthquake, a 7.9 Richter scale earthquake occurred in Nepal. Parts of north India were affected.
- 1st May, 2015 – One of India’s most wanted Maoist leaders Roopesh and his wife were arrested in Coimbatore.
- 3rd May, 2015 – Militants ambushed and killed 8 personnel of Assam Rifles in Mon district of Nagaland.
- 5th May, 2015 – The Akash missile was inducted into the Indian Army.
- 6th May, 2015 – India and Iran signed an agreement which would allow India to develop the Port of Chabahar. The deal was signed during Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari’s Iran visit.
- 7th May, 2015 – The Parliament passed the Constitution (119th Amendment) Bill, 2013. It would allow India to solve its territorial disputes with Bangladesh.
- 9th May, 2015 – Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched 3 large-scale social security schemes, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana, and Atal Pension Yojana, at Nazrul Mancha in Kolkata.
- 9th May, 2015 – Maoists released about 250 hostages they had taken a day before in Sukma district. One hostage was killed.
- 11th May, 2015–
- India nominated K. V. Kamath as the head of the New Development Bank.
- All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam leader Jayalalithaa was acquitted in a disproportionate assets case by the Karnataka High Court.
- 24th May, 2015 – The reported death toll from 2015 India heat wave reached 335 people.
- 4th June, 2015 – 20 army personnel were killed and 11 were injured in a militant attack in Manipur. The responsibility for the attack was claimed by National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Khaplang.
- 8th June, 2015 – A Shahjahanpur-based journalist Jagendra Singh died from burn injuries in a hospital in Lucknow. He had allegedly been set on fire by the local police on 1 June for making Facebook posts against the Uttar Pradesh Minister for Dairy Development Ram Murti Verma.
- 9th June, 2015 – Indian army attacked two militant groups across the Myanmar border in retaliation for the 4 June attack.
- 15th June, 2015 – The Supreme Court of India directed the Central Board of Secondary Education to conduct the All India Pre Medical Test again due to allegations of cheating.
- 17th June, 2015 – 94 people died in Malad area of Mumbai after drinking hooch.
- 19th June, 2015 – Sandeep Kothari, a journalist, was kidnapped from Katangi area of Balaghat district in Madhya Pradesh and killed for refusing to withdraw an illegal mining case from the court. His body was recovered in Wardha district of Maharashtra on 20 June.
- 21st June, 2015 – The first International Yoga Day was held.
- 29th June, 2015 – India signed the legal framework of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and pledged US$8.3 billion towards it.
- 1st July, 2015 – The Digital India programme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- 9th July, 2015 – The Ministry of Home Affairs declared Nagaland a “disturbed” region under Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 for one year, starting from 30 June 2015.
- 10th July, 2015
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) decided to induct India as a full member.
- ISRO launched 5 UK satellites with a total payload of 1,440 kg using the PSLV-C28 launch vehicle.
- 15th July, 2015 – 29 people died in a stampede at Rajahmundry in Andhra Pradesh during the Godavari Maha Pushkaram.
- 21st July, 2015 – Surakshit Khadya Abhiyan was launched by Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Ram Vilas Paswan. The campaign aims to promote food safety in India.
- 23rd July, 2015 – Two Anglo-Indian members were nominated by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Lok Sabha. The two nominated members were George Baker, a BJP leader and actor from West Bengal, and Richard Hay, an economics professor from Kerala.
- 27th July, 2015
- Terrorists attacked a police station in Gurdaspur in Punjab. Nine were killed which included three terrorists.
- Ram Sevak Sharma was appointed the Chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
- 1st August, 2015 – Landslide killed at least 20 people in a village in Chandel district, Manipur.
- 6th August, 2015 – Indian forces captured a terrorist, Mohammed Naved, allegedly from Faisalabad, Pakistan, following an attack on a convoy on the Jammu-Srinagar highway.
- 8th August, 2015 – Godman Sarathi Baba was arrested following a TV channel exposé and subsequent protests in Odisha.
- 10th August, 2015
- At least 10 people died and over 50 were injured in a stampede at a Shiva temple in Deoghar district of Jharkhand.
- Rajasthan High Court declared the Jain ritual called Santhara to be illegal.
- 26th August, 2015 – Demonstrations demanding reservations for the Patel community began in Gujarat. The following clashes killed at least 8. The army was deployed in select areas.
- 27th August, 2015
- ISRO successfully launched GSAT-6 using the GSLV D-6 launch vehicle.
- Indian forces captured a terrorist in Baramulla district, Jammu and Kashmir, following a gunfight. The terrorist, Sajjad alias Abu Ubadullah, allegedly hailed from Muzaffargarh district of Balochistan, Pakistan.
- 12th September, 2015 – A gas cylinder explosion killed at least 80 in Petlawad, Madhya Pradesh.
- 14th September, 2015 – Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion ( DIPP ) released a report ranking the states on ease of doing business and regulatory reforms.
- 16th September, 2015 – The central government banned the National Socialist Council of Nagaland ( Khaplang ) for five years.
- 25th September, 2015 – Anti-India protests erupted in Nepal over the blockade of trade routes. Madhesi and Tharu ethnic groups had blocked the routes, by doing a dharna on the no man’s land, after Nepal’s new constitution was deemed unfavorable to the ethnic groups living in the Terai plains. Nepali politicians said that such a blockade is not possible without the approval of the Indian government.
- 28th September, 2015 – India’s first space observatory Astrosat launched.
- 2nd October, 2015 – Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar announced India’s Intended Nationally Determined Contributions for the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. It set a target of reducing its emission intensity by 33-35%, by 2030 from 2005 levels.
- 9th October, 2015
- Madhya Pradesh declared 19,951 villages in 114 tehsils to be drought affected.
- Bombay High Court judged in favour of Vodafone in the alleged tax avoidance case.
- 12th — 22nd October, 2015 – India and China conducted joint anti-terror drills in Kunming, China.
- 15th — 19th October, 2015 – India, US and Japan conducted the 19th Exercise Malabar in the Bay of Bengal.
- 16th October, 2015
- The Supreme Court of India declared National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) to be unconstitutional.
- Maharashtra declared that 14,708 of its 40,053 villages were facing drought-like conditions.
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) mandated that the telecom operator will have to pay ₹ 1 for each dropped call to the subscriber, from 1st January, 2016 onward.
- 19th October, 2015 – The retail price of toor dal reached ₹ 200 ( US$3.00 ) per kg. Other pulses also reached high prices. Several state governments were selling imported pulses at subsidised prices in order to curb the inflated prices.
- 20th October, 2015 – The Government of Maharashtra invoked the Maharashtra Prevention of Dangerous Activities of Slumlords, Bootleggers, Drug Offenders and Dangerous Persons Act, 1981, and Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, 1999 against hoarders of pulses and edible oil.
- 21st October, 2015 – Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Indian Police Foundation (IPF) and the Indian Police Institute (IPI) in New Delhi.
- 22nd October, 2015 – Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Amaravati, the new capital of Andhra Pradesh.
- 24th October, 2015
- Ministry of Defence approved the induction of women as combat pilots in the Indian Air Force.
- The Government of Odisha began raiding pulses godowns to check hoarders.
- 26th October, 2015 – The third India–Africa Forum Summit began in New Delhi.
- 27th October, 2015 – Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched the e-Sahayog of the Income Tax Department. The facility will allow the tax office to remotely notify the payer in case of mismatch in filings.
- 31st October, 2015 – The birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was observed as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day).