Events in World 2015
- 1st January, 2015 –
- The Eurasian Economic Union comes into effect, creating a political and economic union between Russia, Belarus, Armenia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
- Lithuania officially adopts the euro as its currency, replacing the litas, and becomes the nineteenth Eurozone country.
- 3rd – 7th January, 2015 – A series of massacres in Baga, Nigeria and surrounding villages by Boko Haram kills more than 2,000 people.
- 15th January, 2015 – The Swiss National Bank abandons the cap on the franc’s value relative to the euro, causing turmoil in international financial markets.
- 22nd January, 2015 – After Houthi forces seize the presidential palace, Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi resigns after months of unrest.
- 12th February, 2015–
- Leaders from Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France reach an agreement on the conflict in eastern Ukraine that includes a ceasefire and withdrawal of heavy weapons. However, several days later, the Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels claim that, within its first day, the ceasefire was broken 139 times, as both sides failed to withdraw their heavy weapons and fighting had continued.
- The United Nations Security Council adopts Resolution 2199 to combat terrorism.
- 16th February, 2015 – The Egyptian military begins conducting airstrikes against a branch of the Islamic militant group ISIL in Libya in retaliation for the group’s beheading of over a dozen Egyptian Christians.
- 5th – 8th March, 2015 – The ancient city sites of Nimrud, Hatra and Dur-Sharrukin in Iraq are demolished by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 6th March, 2015 – NASA’s Dawn probe enters orbit around Ceres, becoming the first spacecraft to visit a dwarf planet
- 12th March, 2015 – The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant becomes allies with fellow jihadist group Boko Haram, effectively annexing the group.
- 24th March, 2015 – An Airbus A320-211 operated by Germanwings crashes in the French Alps, killing all 150 on board.
- 25th March, 2015 – A Saudi Arabia-led coalition of Arab countries starts a military intervention in Yemen in order to uphold the Yemeni government in its fight against the Houthis’ southern offensive
- 2nd April, 2015 – 148 people are killed, the majority students, in a mass shooting at the Garissa University College in Kenya, perpetrated by the militant terrorist organization Al-Shabaab
- 25th April, 2015 – A magnitude 7.8 earthquake strikes Nepal and causes 8,857 deaths in Nepal, 130 in India, 27 in China and 4 in Bangladesh with a total of 9,018 deaths.
- 29th April, 2015 – The World Health Organization (WHO) declares that rubella has been eradicated from the Americas.
- 1st May, 2015 – 31st October, 2015 – Expo 2015 is held in Milan, Italy
- 11th – 12th May, 2015 – Version O of Les Femmes d’Alger by Pablo Picasso sells for US$179.3 million at Christie’s auction in New York, while the sculpture L’Homme au doigt by Alberto Giacometti sells for US$141.3 million, setting a new world record for a painting and for a sculpture, respectively.
- 12th May, 2015 – A second major earthquake in Nepal, measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale, results in 153 deaths in Nepal, 62 in India, 1 in China and 2 in Bangladesh with a total of 218 deaths.
- 23rd May, 2015 – Ireland votes to legalize same-sex marriage, becoming the first country to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote.
- 2nd June, 2015 – FIFA President Sepp Blatter announces his intention to resign amidst an FBI-led corruption investigation, and calls for an extraordinary congress to elect a new president as soon as possible
- 7th –8th June, 2015 – The 41st G7 summit is held in Schloss Elmau, Bavaria.
- 25th – 26th June, 2015–
- ISIL claim responsibility for four attacks around the world during the Ramadan :
- Kobanî massacre : ISIL fighters detonate three car bombs, enter Kobanî, Syria, and open fire at civilians, killing more than 220.
- Sousse attacks : 22-year-old Seifeddine Rezgui opens fire at a tourist resort at Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia, killing 40 people.
- Kuwait mosque bombing : A suicide bomber attacks the Shia Mosque Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq at Kuwait City, Kuwait, killing 27 people and injuring 227 others.
- 30th June, 2015–
- Cuba becomes the first country in the world to eradicate mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis.
- A Lockheed C-130 Hercules operated by the Indonesian Air Force crashed into a crowded residential neighborhood in Medan shortly after take-off from Soewondo Air Force Base, killing 143 people including 22 others on the ground, marking the second-deadliest air disaster to ever occur in Medan and the deadliest crash in Indonesian Air Force peacetime history.
- 1st July, 2015 – Greek government-debt crisis: Greece becomes the first advanced economy to miss a payment to the International Monetary Fund in the 71-year history of the IMF.
- 14th July , 2015 – NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft performs a close flyby of Pluto, becoming the first spacecraft in history to visit the distant world.
Iran agrees to long-term limits of its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
- 20th July, 2015 – Cuba and the United States reestablish full diplomatic relations, ending a 54-year stretch of hostility between the nations.
- 24th July, 2015 – Turkey begins a series of airstrikes against PKK and ISIL targets after the 2015 Suruç bombing.
- 5th August, 2015 – Debris found on Réunion Island is confirmed to be that of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, missing since March 2014
- 17th August, 2015 – A bombing takes place inside the Erawan Shrine at the Ratchaprasong intersection in Pathum Wan District, Bangkok, Thailand, killing 20 people and injuring 125.
- 10th September, 2015 – Scientists announce the discovery of Homo naledi, a previously unknown species of early human in South Africa.
- 18th September, 2015 – Automaker Volkswagen is alleged to have been involved in worldwide rigging of diesel emissions tests, affecting an estimated 11 million vehicles globally.
- 24th September, 2015 – A stampede during the Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, kills at least 2,200 people and injures more than 900 others, with more than 650 missing.
- 28th September, 2015 – NASA announces that liquid water has been found on Mars.
- 30th September, 2015 – Russia begins air strikes against ISIL and anti-government forces in Syria in support of the Syrian government.
- 10th October, 2015 – A suicide bomb kills at least 100 people at a peace rally in Ankara, Turkey, and injures more than 400 others.
- 23rd October, 2015 – Hurricane Patricia becomes the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere, with winds of 200 mph and a pressure of 879 mbar.
- 26th October, 2015 – A magnitude 7.5 earthquake strikes the Hindu Kush region and causes 398 deaths, with 279 in Pakistan, 115 in Afghanistan and 4 in India.
- 31st October, 2015 – Flight KGL9268, an Airbus A321 airliner en route to Saint Petersburg from Sharm el-Sheikh, crashes near Al-Hasana in Sinai, killing all 217 passengers and 7 crew members on board.
- 7th November, 2015 – Chinese and Taiwanese presidents, Xi Jinping and Ma Ying-jeou, formally meet for the first time.
- 13th November, 2015 – Multiple attacks claimed by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Paris, France, result in around 132 fatalities.
- 24th November, 2015 – Syrian Civil War: Turkey shoots down a Russian fighter jet in the first case of a NATO member destroying a Russian aircraft since the 1950s.
- 30th November, 2015 – The 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP 21) is held in Paris, attended by leaders from 147 nations.