Biography of Akilan
Indian Freedom Fighter Akilan Biography
Akilan was a Tamil author noted for his realistic and creative writing style. Akilan was a freedom fighter, novelist, short – story writer, journalist, satirist, travel writer, playwright, script – writer, orator and critic.
Akilan Early Life
Akilan alias Akilandam was born on 22 June at Perungalore. Later his childhood was spent in a small hamlet called Perungalore near Pudukottai. His father Vaithiya Lingam Pillai was an accounts officer and adored his only son Akilan but unfortunately the author lost his loving father at an early age. While his mother Amirthammal was a creative and loving person, who played a vital role in the growth of her son Akilan.
The author was attracted by Gandhian Philosophy at his school days and Akilan dropped out of his college education at Pudukotai to join the freedom struggle. Later, after Indian Independence, Akilan joined in Railway Mail Service, after which he joined AIR ( All India Radio ) and became a full fledged writer. Akilan wrote in most of the popular and small magazines of his times.
Akilan Awards won
In 1975 the novel Chitra pavai won the prestigious Jnanpith Award. This work of his has been translated in all Indian languages.In 1963 his Historical Novel Vengayin Mainthan was awarded by Sahithya Academy of Government of India. Engepogirome a peculiar socio – political novel of his, won the Raja sir annamalai award in 1975.
His children’s book Kanana kannan won the special prize given by Tamil Nadu Educational Department. The author has written about 45 titles, most of which have been translated in all Indian State Languages. Apart from this his works has been translated in other foreign languages such as English, German, Czech, Russian, Polish, Chinese, and Malay.
Akilan Historical Novels
- Vengayin Maindan This is one of the famous works of Akilan, read by thousands and thousands of Tamilian’s all over the globe. This historical fiction captures the history of chola dynasty. This book was dramatised by Late. Mr. Shivaji Ganesan on stage and was a huge hit.
In this novel, Akilan gives insight about the life and achievement of the Great Rajendra Chola who was a Vengaiyin Maindhan to the rest of the world. Rajendra Cholan is the son of Rajaraja Cholan and his period can be referred as the height of Tamil empire in art, literature and administration. Akilan captured many geographics including Indonesia ( Kadaaram ), Srilanka, Malaysia, Southern and Eastern Coastal Parts of India. He lived around 1010 AD and his dynasty had many business relationships with foreign countries. This novel depicts his victory over Kadaaram and the building of new city Gangaikonda Cholapuram upon his victory over northern part of India.
The newly built temple and the city internally had so many architectural designs for war – time and peace activities. Along conquering the nations, Rajendra Chola conquered the hearts of beautiful girls Arulmozhi and Rohini. Their love and affection was depicted in simple yet powerful words by Akilan.
Vandhiya Thevan appear in this novel as elder character, who guides Rajendra Cholan in war and administration. Because of the narration and depiction of historic facts during Chola period using proper language there is no wonder this novel received the Sahitya Academy Award from Government of India. ( Sahitya Academy Award Winning Novel ) Chola’s Historical Novel.
- Kayalvizhi. Tamil Nadu Government Award – Pandiya’s historical novel – Akilan’s Kayalvizhi is a gripping saga set in the Pandiya kingdom background. Filmed by M.G.R as Madurai meeta sundarapandian.
- Vetrithirunagar – ( Historical Novel based on Vijayanagara Empire ).
Akilan Social Novels
- Akilan Chitrai Pavai. A contemporary social novel written by Akilan, who vividly brings Annamalai’s character to our eyes. The hero Annamalai’s Calm and Dreamy Nature surely takes our mind. The ending of this novel was highly appreciated on those days and its simply the best. – Mr. Prabhuh’s Review ( Jnanpith Award Winning Tamil Novel ).
- Nenchin Alaigal. ( Award from Tamil Language Development )
- Enge Pokirom?
- Pavai Vilaku. Filmed in Tamil by Shivaji Ganesan.
- Palmara Katinile
- Pudu Vellam
- Valvu Enge?
- Pon Malar
- Vanama Boomiya
Akilan Short Stories
- Akilan Sirukathaigal.
- Kombuthen Kolai Karan. Short Story Collection.
- Nadu nam Thalaivargal. Collection of powerful essays and speeches of Akilan.
- Dhagam Oscar Wild.