Biography of Bhupinder Singh HoodaGeneral Knowledge »
Bhupinder Singh Hooda, an Indian Politician, is the ongoing Chief Minister of the Indian State Haryana. Bhupinder Singh Hooda is a well known figure and is also a member of the Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana.
As the member of the Indian National Congress, from 1996 to 2001, Bhupinder Singh Hooda has served as the president of Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee.
This eminent politician from Haryana was born on 15th September, 1947 to father Ranbir Singh at village Sanghi in Rohtak district. His father was a member of the committee, which was appointed to draft the Constitution of India.
Bhupinder Singh Hooda was educated at Punjab University, Chandigarh and University of Delhi and obtained B.A., LL.B. by profession Bhupinder Singh Hooda is an Agriculturist and Advocate. On 15th October 1976, he married to Asha Hooda and the couple has one son and one daughter. His son Dapender Singh Hooda is also a Member of Parliament.
Bhupinder Singh Hood has been a member of Indian Parliament ( Lok Sabha ) for four terms – 1991, 1996, 1998, 2004. From 2001 to 2004, Bhupinder Singh Hooda has been the member of parliament as the leader of opposition in Haryana’s Legislative Assembly.
Bhupinder Singh Hooda defeated Chaudhary Devi Lal, for three consecutive Lok Sabha terms. Devi Lal is a behemoth Jat leader in elections in the Jat heartland of Rohtak, Haryana. In 1991, when Chaudhary Devi Lal was holding the post of deputy Prime Minister of India, was defeated by Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
The posts which he held throghout his political career are :
- President, Block Congress Committee, Kiloi, Haryana : 1972 – 1977.
- Senior Vice – President, Haryana Pradesh Youth Congress : 1980 – 82.
- President, Haryana Pradesh Youth Congress : 1982 – 83.
- Chairman, Panchayat Samiti, Rohtak : 1983 – 87.
- Chairman, Panchayat Parishad, Haryana : 1984 – 87.
- Elected to 10th Lok Sabha : 1991.
- Member, All India Congress Committee : 1992 onwards.
- Member, Executive, Congress Parliamentary Party : 1994 onwards.
- Convenor, Haryana Congress Parliamentary Group : 1994 – 1996.
- Re – elected to 11th Lok Sabha ( 2nd term ) : 1996.
- Member, Committee on Agriculture : 1996 – 97.
- President, Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee : 1997 – 2002.
- Re – elected to 12th Lok Sabha ( 3rd term ) Member, Executive Committee : 1998.
- Member Committee on Agriculture; Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Communication : 1998 – 99.
- Elected to 9th Haryana Vidhan Sabha from Kiloi Constituency : 2000.
- Leader of Opposition in Haryana Assembly : 2002 – 2004.
- Re – elected to 14th Lok Sabha ( 4th term ) : 2004.
- Elected to 10th Haryana Vidhan Sabha ( bye election from Kiloi constituency ) with a record margin of 1,03,635 votes : 2005.
- Elected Leader of Haryana Legislature Party : March 4, 2005.
- Sworn in as Chief Minister of Haryana : March 5, 2005.
- Secretary, Jat Education Society, Rohtak, Haryana; Member, Managing Committee, D.A.V. Educational Society, Hasangarh, Haryana.
Bhupinder Singh Hooda with a keen interest in sports strived for the promotion of sports in the rural areas of Haryana. Cricket, Badminton and Lawn Tennis are his interesting fields of sports.
Bhupinder Singh Hooda as a delegate of AICC and OISCA visited World Youth Festival in U.S.S.R, World Parliamentary Conference in China. He has also attended International Conference in USSR and International Conferences in Japan and South Korea.
Bhupinder Singh Hooda has also been the President, All India Young Farmers’ Association, Haryana; Ex – Member, Market Committee, Rohtak; Director, Bank of India, 1989 – 92; Secretary, Farmers’ Parliamentary Forum, 1991 onwards; Founder – Member and Working President of All India Freedom Fighters ‘Successors’ Organization; Working President, National Federation Railway Porters, Vendors and Bearers.