Velankanni Church History
The picture of a person’s mind when he is travelling to a particular place for the first time is quite different from the person who had already toured the place. It is a general assumption that these both persons have different mental perspective. If you are visiting a place for the second time then the motive is just to relax, have fun and bring about some change from the regular daily routine life.
But when you are visiting a place for the first time then you will be always curious to know about the lifestyle, culture, and socio – political life of both the past and the present of that particular place. One such place, filled to the core with history and culture, is Velankanni Church in Chennai.
Velankanni Church, also called as the ‘Mecca of the Christians’, is one of the beautiful churches located at Eliot’s beach in Besant Nagar. The principal shrine of this Velankanni church is Mother Mary and she is also prayed and worshipped by the people as the Lady of Health. And though, it is known as the ‘Mecca of Christians’ people of all different castes crowd in the feet of the Virgin Mary to receive her blessings.
The sight of Velankanni church is stunning with its sky-reaching towers. There is an interesting tradition, which the believers of the Lady of Health follow. The person who is diseased offers his body part in the form of candle to Mother Mary. Like, if a person has some problem in heart then he will present heart in the shape of a candle and if a person has some problem in liver then he will present the same form in wax. And when the diseased person is healed, they offer the healed body parts made up either of gold or silver. The Velankanni Church also has a museum where all the offerings of the followers of the Lady of Health are displayed.
The other names by which the shrine is also known as are ‘Sacred Arogya Matha Church’ and ‘Lourdes of the East’. The church is the replica of the Basilica of Our Lady of Health at Velankanni. With its high rising towers, the church looks absolutely stunning even from far away. The architectural beauty coupled with the sanctity of the place makes for an experience of a life time.
About Velankanni Church
Vailankanni is fondly known as the ‘Lourdes of the East’ because like Lourdes in France, millions of pilgrims visit the Shrine throughout the year, praying to Our Lady for various needs and thanking her for the favors received through her intercession. Tradition recounts that Mother Mary appeared with the Infant Jesus in this small hamlet at the end of the 16th or in the early 17th century. Ever since, Vailankanni is the most important destination and almost the synthesis of all Marian Sanctuaries for the pilgrims of the world. The crowds of pilgrims come here regardless of creeds and languages. Our Lady of Vailankanni devotions down through the centuries have proved the Shrine to be of divine origin and has assumed international character. Mary, the focus of unity at Vailankanni, is a clear proof of international, multicultural, and religious harmony.
The Growth of the Shrine
As days passed on, the number of devout pilgrims visiting the Shrine increased. The fame of Vailankanni spread gradually. The wonderful, but inexplicable events that occurred in the Shrine excited awe and wonder. People who witnessed or heard first-hand information about the events, related them to their family and friends. Thus the fame and glory of the gracious Mother of Health of Vailankanni spread like wildfire throughout the land. Year by year the number of devout pilgrims increased. Many came with eager and earnest prayers for favors, and immediate help; many more came with hearts filled with gratitude to show thanks to the miraculous Mother for favors granted. The numerous poor who came to Vailankanni on foot from afar, returned to their homes, singing from door to door the glories and favors of Our
Lady, very much in the style and manner of the troubadours of the Middle Ages in Europe. These poor singers of Marian praise also helped in their own humble way, in spreading the devotion to “Our Lady of Health Vailankanni.” In fact the press, did very little to spread the devotion of Our Lady.
In the meanwhile, by the introduction of quicker and more convenient means of transport, such as steamships, and trains, the number of pilgrims to the Shrine increased and the Shrine correspondingly expanded. Fr. Rozario, a Franciscan priest, expanded the small church of 24 ft. x 12 ft. built by the Portuguese sailors, to 70 ft. x 22 ft. by extending the nave of the Church. But the ancient little sanctuary and the Altar were preserved intact. As the years passed by, the Catholic faith was strengthened by ardent missionaries working at Vailankanni.
Very soon, even this extension was found to be inadequate. In 1917 Fr. Sebastio Xavier de Noronha expanded the Church by an another 20 ft. from the nave of the Church. In addition, two gothic domes of 82 ft. each on either side of the entrance facing the sea were also constructed. About the same time a two-story Parochial building with facility for pilgrims was also built.
Southern Side of the Church
This period was marked by rivalry between the Franciscans and the Jesuits and it had its influence on the missionaries in Vailankanni as well. From the beginning of this century, there was an another church in Vailankanni dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which was under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Trichy. It was maintained by the Jesuits. In 1928 a solution was found to this problem. The church of Immaculate Heart of Mary was demolished and the statues were brought to the Shrine of Our Lady of Health. By then, both the private and the public sectors began operating bus services to Our Lady’s Shrine from all corners of the land. Hence the number of pilgrims pouring into Vailankanni further increased. In 1933 two new wings were constructed, to the right and to the left of the ‘Main Altar’, meeting the nave at right angles.
Northern Side of the Church
A spacious vestry was also provided immediately behind the Altar. Thus the entire sacred edifice began to assume the shape of a Latin Cross. Right over the center of the ancient main altar was the miraculous image of Our Lady of Health, (the very beauty of the whole magnificent edifice, which remained untouched and unaltered).
With this the Shrine of ‘Our Lady’ was blessed in 1933, on the feast day of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception. The moral pillar behind all these developments was the parish priest, the Very Rev. Fr. Sebastio Xavier Noronha, who attained eternal grace on August 21, 1942. He was laid to rest in front of Our Lady’s Shrine. In 1953, Thanjavur was separated from the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore and created as a separate diocese. Vailankanni came under the jurisdiction of Thanjavur Diocese.
To have constant contact with the devotees, who may not be able to visit the Shrine often, in 1953, the Bishop started two monthly magazines, one in English (Vailankanni Calling) and another in Tamil (Vailankanni Kuraloli).
The celebration of the Marian Year all over the world in 1954 drew unprecedented numbers of pilgrims to the Shrine. The Most Reverend Bishop R. Arokiasamy Sundaram, the first bishop of Thanjavur, and Fr. M. V. Rodriguez, the parish priest made elaborate arrangements to celebrate the Marian Year meaningfully and propagate the Marian devotion at Vailankanni.
In 1956, a beautiful welcome arch was blessed and opened by His Excellency Most Reverend Bishop Sundaram. The illuminated arch stood imposingly to show the way to the eager pilgrims, who sought the protection of Mary at this beautiful Shrine. In January 1961, a beautiful central altar, delicately executed in spotless white marble was erected replacing the former one made of cement concrete.
The marble altar adds exquisite splendor to the Shrine. The ancient porcelain plates and paintings have been carefully retained in their original beauty. Enlarging the church for active participation in the Liturgy for the influx of various language-speaking pilgrims became imperative. This warranted a two-storied extended Basilica.
So in 1974-75 during the time of late Very Rev. Fr. Maria Soosai the two story church was blessed and consecrated by Rt. Rev. R.A. Sundaram, then Bishop of Thanjavur. After all these renovations and the extensions, the present Church shows the triumph of classicism in structure, this magnificent edifice with its 93 ft. high dome and two 82 ft. high gothic spirals dominates the skyline of Vailankanni.
And there stands an inspiring octagonal, gothic dome, generous but strictly of geometrical and architectural propositions, the crowning glory of it all! Indeed this dome enhances the arresting grandeur of the glorious and majestic Shrine.
History of Vailankanni Parish
The first person to refer to Vailankanni in historical documents is Fr. Paulo de Trinidad an OFM priest. In his chronicle in the year 1630, he writes :
“… And two leagues (about six miles) from Nagapattinam in the direction of Mannar (i.e. towards South), we have another Christian settlement, of which one of our Religious has charge and the Church is under the Patronage of our Lady of Health…”
(Paulo de Trinidad, 111, 68).
In 1771 Fr. Antonio de Rozario, the last Parish Priest of the church of the Immaculate Conception, was appointed as the first Parish Priest of Vailankanni, which was then raised to the status of an independent parish. Till then, the parish of Vailankanni was a substation of the parish of Nagapattinam, and Nagapattinam had always been under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Bishop of the Diocese of Mylapore. During that period the Diocese of Mylapore was administered under the Portuguese ‘Padroado’ (patronage). Under the Padroado system, the king of Portugal in Europe met all the expenses incurred by the Diocese of Mylapore, which remained under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Roman Pontiffs.
Until 1847 the priests of St. Franciscan Missionaries who had looked after the province of Goa and Mylapore also looked after Nagapattinam and Vailankanni. The Franciscan origin and ownership of the Shrine was also perpetuated, by giving the place of honor to two Franciscan saints, St. Anthony of Lisbon and St. Francis of Assisi, on either side of the miraculous image of ‘Our Lady’, on the High Altar until 1961. Besides the last parish priest, Miguel Francisco Fernandez, who was of the Franciscan order, controlled the parish of Vailankanni till 1889.
In the year 1949 this dual system came to an end: the Portuguese patronage of the Diocese of Mylapore was ended and placed under the direct control of the Roman Pontiff.
The Diocese of Mylapore was in charge of the mission in this area until 1952. It was in that year that Thanjavur, a Cauvery-fed basin, became a new and independent Diocese called the “Diocese of Thanjavur.” Thanjavur town was chosen to be the headquarters of the new Diocese. In November 1952, when the new Diocese of Thanjavur came into being, the Diocesan Priests of Thanjavur became the custodians of the Shrine Vailankanni. The administration of the new Diocese was temporarily placed under the apostolic administration of the Rt. Rev. Dr. Louis Mathias, S.D.B., who was then the Archbishop of the new Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.
On March 19, 1953, His Excellency the Rev. Dr. R. Arokiasamy Sundaram, DD., L. C. L., M. A., a priest of Mylapore Archdiocese was appointed as the first Bishop of the new Diocese of Thanjavur. He assumed charge of his Diocese on March 24, 1953.
Vailankanni being situated in the Thanjavur District came under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Thanjavur. The Rev. Dr. R. Arokiasamy Sundaram showed keen interest in the development of Vailankanni Shrine and granted special spiritual privileges. ‘Our Lady of Health Vailankanni’ became the second patroness of our newly erected Diocese.
Chronological List of Parish Priests of Velankanni
- 1771 Sep. Fr. Antonio de Rozario
- 1774 Aug. Fr. Jose de Santa Roza de Viterbo
- 1777 Jul. Fr. Antonio de Rosario, Commissary
- 1779 Sep. Fr. Luis dos Remedios
- 1783 Jan. Fr. Antonio de Rosario, Commissary
- 1788 Dec. Fr. Antonio do Jesus Maria Jose
- 1789 Sep. Fr. Antonio de Rosario Commissary
- 1792 Sep. Fr. Jos. Roza de Giterbo Commissary &V. F.
- 1814 May Fr. Constantine de Jesus Maria Commissary
- 1819 May Fr. Thomas de Piedade
- 1822 Feb. Fr. Francisco Xavier Masearenhas
- 1822 Aug. Fr. Francisco Das Dores
- 1824 May Fr. Felipe de Jesus
- 1825 Sep. Fr. Francisco Dos Dores
- 1828 Jun. Fr. Felipe de Jesus
- 1829 May Fr. Clemente Das Dores
- 1847 Oct. Fr. Isidore Manuel Alimao
- 1858 Apr. Fr. Jose Felis Fernandes AG.PP
- 1863 Nov. Fr. Felipe Nery Joaquim Dias
- 1876 May Fr. Ignacio Antonio d’ Andrade
- 1886 Aug. Fr. Miguel Francisco Fernandes
- 1890 Dec. Fr. Joaquim Jose Ag. P. Vic. Nagapattinam
- 1891 Feb. Fr. Cuilherme Jose Dias
- 1892 Dec. Fr. Joaquim Jose Luis Ag. P. Vic. Nagapattinam
- 1893 Mar. Fr. Martinho Valeriane de Sa
- 1899 Sep. Fr. Joaquim Francisco da Fiedade Dias
- 1900 Aug. Fr. Camilla Fernandes
- 1910 Jun. to 1942 Fr. Sebastio Xavier de Noronha
- 1942 Sep. to 1963 Fr. M. V. Rodriguez
- 1963 Jun. to 1980 Fr. S. Mariasoosai
- 1980 Sep. to 1982 Fr. Thomas Vaz
- 1982 Sep. to 1990 Fr. S. L. Gabriel
- 1990 May to 1998 Fr. M.M. Sammanasu
- 1998 Jun. till date Fr. G. Arul Iruthayam
Every Morning Mass Timings :
- 5:45 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
- 6:45 a.m. High Mass in Tamil
- 9:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Malayalam
- 10:00 a.m. Holy Mass in English
- 12:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
Every Evening :
- 6:00 p.m. Novena Prayers, Rosary, Evening prayers.
- 6:30 p.m. Holy Mass in Tamil.
Thursday Evenings :
- 6:30 p.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
All Saturdays :
- 7:00 a.m. Holy Mass at Our Lady’s Tank
- 5:45 p.m. Car Procession around the Shrine Basilica, Rosary, Novena prayers, Blessing with the Statue of Our Lady.
- 6:30 p.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
Sunday Morning :
- 5:45 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
- 7:30 a.m. High Mass in Tamil
- 10:00 a.m. Holy Mass in English
- 12:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
Sunday Evening :
- 5:30 p.m. Rosary, Novena Prayers
- 5:00 p.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
First Friday :
- 6:00p.m. Eucharistic Procession around the Shrine.
First Saturday :
- 6:15 p.m. Blessing of the Sick with the Blessed Sacrament
( From 29th August to 8th September on every year )
- 6:00 p.m. Flag Procession, Blessing hoisting of the flag,Litany Benediction
- 7:00 p.m. Mass in Tamil
Liturgical Timings during Ten Novena Days in The Main Shrine.
- 5:00 a.m. Holy Mass, Blessing of the sick, Blessing with the statue of Our Lady of Health
- 8:00 p.m. Car Procession
In The Lower Extension Basilica
- 6:00 a.m. High Mass in Tamil
- 7:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
- 8:00 a.m. High Mass in English
- 10:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
- 11:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Konkani
- 12:00 noon Flag hoisting Mass in Tamil
- 4:15 p.m. Holy Mass in Marathi
- 6:30 p.m. Rosary, Novena Prayers, Litany, Sermon in Tamil and Benediction.
In The Upper Extension Basilica
- 6:00 a.m. Holy Mass in English
- 7:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Hindi
- 9:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Malayalam
- 4:00 p.m. Holy Mass in Telugu
- 5:00 p.m. Holy Mass in Tamil.
At Our Lady’s Tank
- 6:00 a.m. Holy Mass in Tamil
- 5:00 p.m. Way of the Cross in the Holy Path ( only on Friday )
At The Shrine Auditorium ( on Feast Eve )
- 5:45 p.m. Rosary, Novena Prayers, Litany,followed by Pontifical High Mass presided over by His Excellency The Bishop of Thanjavur.
At The Main Shrine ( on Feast Day )
- 6:15 a.m. Feast High Mass by His Excellency The Bishop of Thanjavur
- 6:00 p.m. Dismounting of our Lady’s Flag.
Annual Feast Of Our Lady Of Health, Vailankanni
Celebrated from 29th August to 8th September – 8th September the Birth Day of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
More than 20 lakh pilgrims from all the corners of India and from other Countries throng the Shrine.
Holy Mass is celebrated in six languages, fourteen times a day during the Feast.
Car Procession of Our Lady of Health, takes place at 8.00 p.m.
Everyday hoisting of the Our Lady’s flag, takes place at 12.00 noon.
The Grand Annual Feast commences with the hoisting of Our Lady’s Flag at 6.30 p.m. on 29th August. The Bishop of Thanjavur is the main celebrant on this day.
The Feast concludes with the dismounting of Our Lady’s Flag at 6.00 p.m. on 8th September. The Rector & Parish Priest is the main celebrant on the concluding Mass.
The Feast Mass is celebrated on 8th September at 6.15 a.m. in the Shrine open – air auditorium, presided over by the Bishop of Thanjavur.
Velankanni Church – Velankanni Matha Temple – History Velankanni Church Nagapattinam
Churches in India Related : Velankanni Church Nagapattinam, History Velankanni Church Nagapattinam, Velankanni Church Details, Velankanni Church, Velankanni Church Mass Time, Velankanni Church Festival, Velankanni Church Feast Celebration, Famous Church Velankanni Matha, Velankanni Matha Temple, Our Lady of Good Health Velankanni, Velankanni Extension Basilica - Altar, Miracles of Velankanni Matha, Velankanni Extension Basilica, Velankanni Shrine Altar, Vailankanni Parish, List of Parish Priests of Velankanni, Velankanni Church Story, Annai Velankanni Church Information, Siginificance of Velankanni Church, Importance of Velankanni Matha Church, Popular Church Velankanni, General Knowledge Churches, GK Question, GK Quiz Online Free,
Posted In general knowledge : churches in india : Leave a response for velankanni church by sheeba