Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore appointed as the head of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards Committee
The government’s announcement of the national sports awards selection committees on Tuesday carried a surprise.
Athens Olympics silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore was named the chairperson of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Arjuna awards committee.
The surprising part is that Rathore is still an internationally active shooter, and was even in the fray for selection for the recently – concluded London Olympics.
But a sports ministry official not willing to be named said : “Nowhere do the rules state that a sportsperson has to be retired to head the committee.”
In fact, the March 2010 amendment to the awards scheme states : “The committee will be comprised of a chairperson and twelve members distinguished in the field of sports. The chairperson must be a sportsperson of eminence.”
Active sportspersons have been members of previous committees, including Leander Paes in 2010.
Other prominent members of the committee include former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia, cricket bigwig and commentator Ravi Shastri, badminton player Aparna Popat, athlete Ashwini Nachappa, boxer Akhil Kumar, and swimmer Khazan Singh.
Rathore told Mail Today that it was a matter of pride for him to have been given this role. “It’s an honour for me. It comes with great responsibility. The committee has members who are great sportspersons, administrators and bring rich experience to the table. Together, we will ensure, we remain true to the spirit of the awards,” the double trap shooter and 2004 – 05 Khel Ratna awardee said.
Hockey stalwart Aslam Sher Khan heads the Dronacharya Awards committee.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards Committees :
Khel Ratna and Arjuna Awards :
- RVS Rathore ( shooting )
- Rajesh Kumar ( wrestling )
- Ashwini Nachappa ( athletics )
- Aparna Popat ( badminton )
- Akhil Kumar ( boxing )
- Khazan Singh ( swimming )
- Bhaichung Bhutia ( football )
- G. Mulini Reddy ( volleyball )
- KS Garcha ( polo )
- Ravi Shastri ( cricket )
- JS Sarang ( Army Marksmanship Unit )
- Manoj Yadav ( All India Police Sports Control Board )
- Gopal Krishna ( DG, Sports Authority of India )
- Onkar Kedia ( joint secretary, sports )
- C. Chinnappa, ( director, sports, and member secretary ).
Dronacharya Awards :
- Aslam Sher Khan ( hockey )
- Rajkumar Sangwan ( boxing )
- Dhanraj Pillai ( hockey )
- Shiny Wilson ( athletics )
- Moraad Ali Khan ( shooting )
- Karnam Malleswari ( weightlifting )
- Bahadur Singh ( athletics )
- Bhupender Dhawan ( power lifting )
- GS Sandhu ( boxing )
- Ramphal Mann ( wrestling )
- Prem Chand Degra ( administrator body building )
- Injeti Srinivas ( principal secretary, sports, govt of Odisha )
- Gopal Krishna
- Onkar Kedia
- C. Chinnappa ( member secretary ).
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.