Six Top Sporting Coaches to Receive Dronacharya Award for 2012
Dronacharya Award is an award presented by the government of India for excellence in sports coaching. The award comprises a bronze statuette of Dronacharya, a scroll of honour and a cash component of ₹ 500,000. The award was instituted in 1985.
As the best sportsperson award is named Arjuna Award, it is appropriate that the coaching award is named after Dronacharya, as he was the Guru of Arjuna.
The names of six sporting coaches were recommended for the Dronacharya Awards for the year 2012 :
- Wrestling coach Yashvir Singh
- Boxing Coach BI Fernandez
- Athletics Coach Virender Poonia
- Kabaddi Coach Sunil Davas
- Parathletics Coach Dr. Satyapaul
- Hockey Coach Harinder Singh
are the six coaches who have been selected for the coveted award, given to the coach of different sports, for their excellent contribution to the sports.
Boxing Coach BI Fernandez, who is a Cuban national, became the first foreign coach to be recommended for the Dronacharya Award. Fernandez has been instrumental in India’s impressive performances in Boxing in the international tournaments.
The Dronacharya Awards committee was headed by former Indian hockey captain Aslam Sher Khan. The other members include :
- Rajkumar Sangwan (boxing)
- Dhanraj Pillai ( hockey )
- Shiny Wilson ( athletics )
- Morad Ali Khan ( shooting )
- Karnam Malleswari ( weightlifting )
- Bahadur Singh ( athletics )
- Bhupender Dhawan ( powerlifting )
- G S Sandhu ( boxing )
- Ramphan Mann( wrestling )
- Prem Chand Degra ( body building ).
The Dronacharya Award was instituted by the government of India in 1985. The award has been given to 72 people until 2011. The award carries five lakh rupees and a citation and is conferred to coaches of different sports for their noteworthy contribution. The awards will be presented by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhawan on 29th August 2012, the National Sports Day.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.