International Dates and Events for October 2011
1. Indian Council of Agricultural Research ( ICAR ) and International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre ( CIMMYT ) on 5th October, 2011 signed an MoU to set up Borlaug Institute for South Asia. The Institutes will be established at Ludhiana in Punjab, Pusa in Bihar and Jabalpur in M.R The establishment of Borlaug Institute for South Asia in India will enable to harness the best of international science in meeting food security challenges and will become an agricultural hub for the South Asia region.
2. The World’s highest webcam was installed in the Nepalese Himalayas in October 2011. The solar-powered camera — set at 18,618 feet on Kala Patthar, a smaller mountain facing the Everest — will withstand temperatures as low as minus 30 degrees Celsius and operates during the day and will beam live images of Mount Everest to scientists studying the effects of climate change on the planet’s tallest peak.
3. India and Switzerland on 4th October, 2011 signed a memorandum of understanding ( MoU ) that would help foster financial dialogue between the two countries. The objective of the financial dialogue is to strengthen and intensify cooperation between Switzerland and India in the financial sector. President Patil unveiled Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore’s statue at Lausanne University.
4. India and Vietnam on 12th October, 2011 signed an agreement to promote oil exploration in South China Sea along with a slew of pacts, including an extradition treaty, to deepen trade, security and strategic ties between the two countries. Six agreements were signed after Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh held comprehensive talks in New Delhi on issues of mutual interest, including situation in the region where they decided to launch a biennial Security Dialogue between their Home Ministries.
5. India sought to consolidate its ties with Myanmar by offering an additional $500-million line of credit, agreeing to resolve border issues and step up energy and trade links during a meeting between President of Myanmar U Thein Sein and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 14th October, 2011 in New Delhi.
6. India and South Africa on 11th October, 2011 signed a Memorandum of Understanding ( MOU ) to facilitate exchange of knowledge and experience related to the study, reform and management of election administration systems, promotion and implementation of educational research and training programs, and mutual exchanges in electoral management and administration.
7. The first-ever India-United States Higher Education Summit was organised at Georgetown University, Washington on 13th October, 2011. Issues discussed include the prospect of U.S universities entering into partnership agreements with Indian higher education institutions under the aegis of India’s Foreign Educational Institutions ( Regulation of Entry – and Operations ) Bill.
8. SHAKTl- 2011’ a 15-day Indo-French joint military exercise aimed at enhancing various combat skills, promoting mutual understanding and inter-operability between the two armies, was organised at Chaubattia, Ranikhet from 10th October, 2011 to 24th October, 2011. This was the first ever joint training between the two armies focusing on Counter Terrorism operations.
9. India and Turkey on 11th October, 2011 agreed that greater international cooperation was needed to counter the scourge of terrorism that is affecting both countries during bilateral talks at Ankara that also reviewed regional and international developments including the upcoming Istanbul conference on Afghanistan.
10. Indian IT sector has been ranked 34th in the 2011 Global IT Industry Competitiveness Index unveiled by the Business Software Alliance ( BSA ) on 14th October, 2011. As per the index last published in 2009, India stood at 44th position among the 66 countries benchmarked.
11. Australia’s lower house of Parliament on 12th October, 2011 narrowly passed a bill for a controversial carbon tax. The legislation would force about 500 of the biggest polluters to pay for each tonne of carbon dioxide they emit. The tax is central to the government’s strategy to combat climate change, but the opposition says it will cause job losses and raise the cost of living.
12. Bhutan’s fifth monarch, King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk ( 31 ), married Jetsun Pema ( 21 ) at a traditional Buddhist ceremony on 13th October, 2011. The wedding took place at a majestic monastery-fortress, the Palace of Great Happiness in Phunaka, the old capital which is about two hours away from Thimphu.
13. India and Czech Republic on 10th October, 2011 agreed to liberalise the business visa regime and set a $2-billion target for bilateral trade by 2012 to enhance their economic cooperation and widen the exchange at various levels. This was decided at a bilateral meeting between Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma and Czech Republic Minister of Trade and Industry Martin Kocourek in New Delhi.
14. A comprehensive Social Security Agreement ( SSA ) was signed by the Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs and Civil Aviation, Vayalar Ravi and the Federal Minister of Labour and Social Affairs of Germany, Ursula von der Leyen in Berlin on 13th October, 2011. The Agreement with Germany will provide for the following benefits to Indian nationals working in Germany.
15. Bilateral trade between India and Africa is set to double from the current $53 billion in the next five years, primarily triggered by the transport equipment, services, healthcare and agriculture sectors, said Rajiv Kumar, secretary-general of FICCI at the two-day India-Africa Business Partnership Summit in Hyderabad on 12th October, 2011. Over 120 African and 250 Indian delegates, comprising heads of public-sector undertakings, corporate houses, government representatives and consultants participated in the event.
16. India has been made chairman of the United Nations South Asian regional commission for tourism. This was announced at the United Nations World Tourism Organisation ( UNWTO ) Conference at Gyeongju, South Korea, on 11th October, 2011. Union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai led the Indian, delegation at the UNWTO meeting. It has been estimated that by 2016 – 17 the growth in the sector would enable additional employment generation of around 25 million people. There would be need for an additional 42 million skilled persons in hospitality sector alone. The Minister urged UNWTO to intensify its efforts in developing a skill development framework based on best practices across the globe.
17. India and Nepal signed major economic agreements, aimed at enhancing Indian investment and developmental aid, during the New Delhi visit of Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai on 21st October, 2011. PM Manmohan Singh and Bhattarai arrived at a broad political understanding, whereby India expressed its firm support to the peace and constitutional process underway in Nepal.
18. Pakistan narrowly won a hotly-contested seat to the UN Security Council on 21st October, 2011 joining India as a two-year non-permanent member. Pakistan’s term is for two years beginning 1st January, 2012 to 31st December, 2013 overlapping with India for one year. Pakistan just about scraped through, securing 129 out of 193 votes in the United Nations General Assembly, exactly the two-third majority required to win the seat.
19. A Soyuz rocket lifted off from Kourou in French Guiana on 21st October, 2011 on its maiden flight from Europe’s South American space base, carrying the first two satellites in the Galileo geopositioning system. The launch — the first by the veteran Soyuz rocket beyond Russia’s historic bases at Plesetsk and Baikonur — is part of a commercial agreement signed in 2003 to extend the range of Arianespace, which markets services from the European Space Agency ( ESA ) base in Kourou.
20. Andrew Holness was sworn as Jamaica’s new Prime Minister at capital Kingston on 23rd October, 2011. Holness took over from Bruce Golding, who stepped down after four years as prime minister in which his popularity sagged over his nine-month opposition to a U.S. extradition request for a notorious gang leader in 2009 and 2010.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.