Biography of D D LapangGeneral Knowledge »
Dr. Donwa Dethwelson Lapang, an Indian Politician from the Indian state of Meghalaya, is also popularly known as Dr. D D Lapang. As, JD Rymbai, the former Chief Minister of Meghalaya after a brief tenure of eight months, quits from the post at the instruction of the central leadership of Congress, the veteran leader DD Lapang was sworn in to replace him.
At the meeting of National Development Council held at New Delhi on 27th June 2005, D D Lapang while addressing the Prime Minister and the distinguished members of the council said, “In Meghalaya, one of the Major bottleneck of implementation of the development programmes is the existance of small villages which are scattered through out the State.
Out of the total of 5782 villages in meghalaya, 2762 villages comprising of 48% pf the total villages, have a population of 200 or less. As such, the cost of providing infrastructure to these small and scattered villages is very high as compared to other States in the Country.” – this ideally reflects his indomitable spirit.
A man of sher talent D D Lapang has redefined Indian Politics to a great extent.
Dr. Dethwelson Lapang was born on 10th April 1934 to father Donwa War. Dr. D D Lapang received his Primary Education in a Home Village, Nongjri of Ri Bhoi District in Meghalaya.
After that he passed matriculation from Shillong Government High School and graduated (B.A.) through an evening section from St. Anthony’s College, Shillong. In the 1958, Dr. D D Lapang married to Smt. Amethyst Lynda Jomes Blah and the couple has one daughter and one son.
After starting life as the road labourer, Dr. D D Lapang served as a school teacher for 5 Years, as a Typist in Assam Civil Secretariat then promoted to Lower Division Assistant and served for 13 Years. Subsequently served as Sub – Inspector of schools for 10 Years.
As an independent Candidate, Dr. D D Lapang contested the Legislative Assembly Election from Nongpoh L.A. Constituency and won as MLA in the Year 1972. In the year 1978, Dr. D D Lapang became the Minister of State i/c Cooperation, Jails, Education and Civil Defence.
From 10.5.1979 to 10.12.1980, D D Lapang served as the Cabinet Minister i/c Health and Family Welfare, Labour, Information & Public Relations. During 1980 – 81 Dr. D D Lapang also served as the Minister i/c health & Family Welfare, Revenue, Labour & Municipal Administration.
D D Lapang held the portfolio of Minister i/c of Health & Family Welfare and Municipal Administration in the Year 1981. For four month, from 24.10. 1981 to 7.05.1981, Dr. D D Lapang held the post of Minister i/c Health & Family Welfare and Revenue.
Other posts held by him till Dr. D D Lapang became the Chief Minister are :
- 1983 to 1985 – Minister i/c of Planning, Finance, Home, Revenue, Food & Civil Supply.
- 15.5.1985 to 20.2.1986 – Minister i/c of Finance (including Taxation), Planning, Evaluation, Home (including Passport) and Revenue.
- 21.2.1986 to 3.7.1986 – Minister i/c of Finance (including Taxation), Planning, Evaluation, and Home (including Passport) and Revenue.
- 4.7.1986 to 23.6.1987 – Minister i/c of Finance (including Taxation), Planning, Evaluation, Home (including Passport).
- 16.10.1987 to 17.1.1988 – Minister i/c of Planning and Programme Implementation.
- 6.1.1987 to 17.1.1988 – Minister i/c of Home, Revenue and Excise.
- 1988 to 1990 – Deputy Minister i/c of Home.
Dr. Dethwelson Lapang became the chief minister of the state later in 1992 to February 1993. Dr. D D Lapang became the Chairman State Planning Board and held the post from 1993 to 1995.
In 4th March 2003 Dr. D D Lapang was again sworn in as Chief Minister. Dr. D D Lapang was appointed the Chairman of Commission on Resources Mobilization during 1995 – 1997.
Dr. D D Lapang was the Leader of Congress Legislative Party and Leader of Opposition, Meghalaya Legislative Assembly from 23.3.1998 to 27.7.1998. On 27.7.1998, Dr. D D Lapang has sworn in as Deputy Chief Minister.
On 4th March 2003, Lapang has sworn in as Chief Minister. Dr. D D Lapang resigned from the position on 15 June 2006 due to disagreement in the Coalition Government. Again on 10th March 2007, D D Lapang has sworn in as Chief Minister.
Other than Political Positions, Dr. D D Lapang has also held various posts in Socio – Cultural Organizations.
They are :
- In 1979 was President of Meghalaya State Council of Indo – Soviet Cultural Society.
- President of Meghalaya State Indo – GDR (German Democratic Republic Friendship Association.
- Council Member of All India Peace and Solidarity Organisation. Vice – President, National YMCA Council.
- Founder President, Bhoi Student Association.
- Founder President, Meghalaya State Basketball Association.
- Founder President, Meghalaya Editors and Publishers Association.
- Founder President of the Affiliated State Olympic Association.
D D Lapang has traveled a lot. Dr. D D Lapang has traveled nine times outside India to countries like UK, France, USSR, Italy, China, Germany and Switzerland.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.