Iron and Steel Industry : : Indian Cement Industry
- First Steel industry at Kulti, near Jharia, West Bengal ‘Bengal Iron Works Company’ in 1870.
- First large scale steel plant TISCO at Jamshedpur in 1907 followed by IISCO at Burnpur in 1919. Both belonged to private sector.
- The first public sector unit was ‘Vishveshvarayya Iron and Steel Works’ at Bhadrawati.
|Rourkela ( Orissa )||Germany|
|Bhilai ( M.P )||Russian Government|
|Durgapur ( W.B )||Britain Government|
|Bokaro ( Jharkhand )||Russian Government|
|Burnpur ( W.B )||Acquired by Private Sector in 1976|
|Vishakhapatnam ( A.P )||Russian Government|
|Salem ( Tamil Nadu )||–|
|Vijai Nagar ( Karnataka )||–|
|Bhadrawati ( Karnataka )||Nationalization of Vishveshvarayya Iron and Steel Limited ( Owned by Central and State Government ).|
- All these are managed by SAIL. ( At present all important steel plants except TISCO, are under Public Sector ).
- Steel Authority of India Limited ( SAIL ) was established in 1974 and was made responsible for the development of the Steel Industry.
- Bhilai, Durgapur and Rourkela were established during the Second Five Year Plan. Bokaro was established during the Third while the steel plants at Salem, Vijai Nagar and Vishakhapatnam were established in the Fourth Five Year Plan.
- Presently India is the fifth largest steel producing country in the world.
|Top – 10 Steel Producing Countries|
|Rank||Country / Region||Steel Production ( Million Tonnes )|
|Top – 10 SteelProducing Companies|
|Company||Country / Region|
|Shanghai Baosteel Group Corporation||China|
|Tata Steel||India/ Global|
|LiaoningAn – Ben Iron and Steel Group||China|
|Hebei Tangshan Iron & Steel Group||China|
|United States Steel Corporation||United States|
Cotton and Textile Industry in India
- Oldest Industry of India and employs largest number of workers.
- It is the largest organized and broad – based industry which accounts for about 4 per cent of GDP 20 percent of manufacturing value added and one – third of total export earnings.
- The first Indian modernized cotton cloth mill was established in 1818 at Fort Gloaster near Kolkata but this mill was not successful. The second mill named Bombay Spinning and Weaving Co. was established in 1854 at Bombay by KGN Daber.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.