Africa Continent Countries
GK 2014 Online Mock Test / Free Trial -
Africa Continent Countries World Continents
- It is the second largest continent of the world. It is bounded by the Mediterranean Sea in North-West, Red Sea in the North, Indian Ocean in the South, Arabian Sea in the East and Atlantic Ocean in the West.
- Its northernmost point is Cape Blanc (in Tunisia) and the southernmost point is Cape Agulhas (in South Africa).
- Its highest point is Mount Kilimanjaro (5,895m) in Tanzania and the lowest point is Lake Assal (153 m below sea level) in Djibouti.
- Important mountain ranges are Ahaggar, Atlas, Drakensberg, Tibesti, etc.
- Important deserts are the Sahara, the Kalahari and the Namib Desert. Sahara is the largest desert of the world.
- Important rivers are the Nile, the Zaire, the Niger and the Zambezi. The Nile is the longest river in the world.
- Important dams are the Aswan dam on Nile and the Kariba dam on Zambezi River.
- Important waterfalls are the Victoria Falls on Zambezi and Boyoma falls on Zaire River.
- Area is 30,221,532 sq. km., which is about 20.4% of the world’s total land area.
- Population is more than 900,000,000 which is about 14% of the world’s total population.
- Climate is predominantly equatorial type and tropical grassland type, as almost the entire Africa lies in the Torrid Zone.
- Many Languages are spoken in Africa. Arabic is spoken by the maximum along with Swahili, Bantu, Zulu, English, etc.
- Largest lakes are Lake Victoria, Lake Tanganyika and Lake Nyasa. From Victoria originates the river Nile.
- Four largest countries in the decreasing order of areas are Sudan, Algeria, Zaire and Libya.
- Four most populous countries in descending order are Nigeria, Egypt, Ethiopia and Zaire.
- The three points where Africa almost touches Eurasia are Gibraltar, Suez and Bab-el-Mandeb.
- The country having highest death rate and least life expectancy in the world is Sierra Leone, which is in Africa only.
- Important tribes are Bantus, Berbers, Hausas, Masais, Pygmies, Hottentots, Bushmen, Tuaregs, Kikuyus, etc.
Africa Continent Countries – Population, Languages, Lakes.
Geography Related : Continent Africa Countries , Africa Continent , Continent of Africa Map , Africa Continent Countries, Africa Continent Facts , Information Continent Africa , Continent Africain , Africa Continent Map , Africa Continent Countries , Facts Continent Africa , Continent of Africa , General Knowledge , GK , GK in India , General Knowledge Questions , General Knowledge India , General Knowledge Test , GK Quiz ,
Posted In general knowledge : geography : Leave a response for africa continent countries by priya