Agriculture in India
Agriculture in India : : Important Corps of India
Cropping Seasons in India
Kharif Crops of India
- Sown in summers between May and July, and harvested after the rains, in September and October.
- Eg : Rice, Jowar, Bajra, Maize, Cotton, Jute, Sugarcane, Tobacco, Groundnut, Pulses, etc.
Rabi Crops of India
- Sown at the beginning of winter and harvested before the onset of the summer season, between Feb and April.
- Eg: Wheat, barley, oilseeds, gram, potatoes, etc.
- They are raised between April and June.
- E.g. : Melon, watermelon, cucumber, toris, leafy and other vegetables.
Cash Crops of India (Commercial Crops)
- Grown mainly for the market, only a small portion of the product is consumed by the farmers themselves ( cotton, sugarcane etc. )
Coffee Production in India
India produces both Coffea arabica and Robusta Coffee or Coffea robusta. As per the provisional figures of 2010 – 11, Coffee is planted in India in around 399801 hectares. Out of this area, 52% is under Coffea robusta and 48% is under Coffea arabica. So in India almost both varieties are grown in equal areas.
- In India Coffee is grown Mostly in south India and also in Orissa and some parts of North East India.
- In India, Karnataka is the leading Coffee producer with 56.9% of total area under production and 71% of total Production.
The following table shows the area and production of Coffee in various states.
|Areas Under Coffee Cultivation in India ( Hectares )|
|State||Arabica||%||Robusta||%||Total Area||Total Area %|
|North East India||4085||1||1882||0.8||5417||1.4|
|Others ( Orissa etc )||50518||12.6||268||0.1||50786||12.7|
|Production of Coffee in India ( in Metric Tons )|
|State||Arabica||%||Robusta||%||Total Production||Total Area|
|North East India||75||0||40||0||115||0|
|Others ( Orissa etc )||5100||1.8||85||0||5185||6.7|
Coffee Producing States in India
- Karnataka leads Coffee Production in India with 71% share in production.
- The production of Robusta Coffee ( 67.3% ) is approximately double of production of Arabica Coffee ( 32.7% ).
- Almost all coffee grown in Kerala is Robusta. Kerala accounts for 20% of Robusta Coffee while 0.5% of Arabica Coffee.
- In Tamil Nadu, the production of Arabica Coffee is more than that of Robusta.
- In other parts of India such as Andhra Pradesh and Orissa, almost only Arabica Coffee is grown.
Please also note the following points :
- In Karnataka Chikmagalur, Kodagu & Hassan districts are largest producers of Coffee.
- In Kerala, Wyanad, Travancore & Nelliampathies are largest growing districts of Coffee.
- In Tamil Nadu , Pulneys, Nilgiris, Salem & Coimbatore are largest coffee grwing areas.
- In India Coffee productivity is 826 Kilogram per hectare.
Cropping Seasons in India – Indian Agriculture – Crops of India
Geography Related : Food Grain Production in India, Coffee Plant Growth Rate, Agriculture India, Agriculture in India, Oilseeds Production in India, Cash Crops and Food Crops, Cash Crops of India, Mineral Resources of India, Cropping Seasons in India, Cropping Seasons, Kharif Crops of India, Rabi and Kharif Crops in India, Kharif and Rabi Corps of India, Commercial Crops in India, Agriculture Coffee India, Cultivation of Rabi Crops, Kharif Crops Cultivation, Coffee Crops in India, Coffee Producing Countries, General Knowledge in India, GK about Indian Agriculture, General Knowledge Quiz, Indian General Knowledge, General Knowledge Geography, Indian Agriculture GK,
Posted In general knowledge : geography : Leave a response for agriculture in india by sheeba