Asia Continent Countries
- It is the largest of the seven continents of the earth both area-wise and population-wise.
- It is separated from Europe by Ural Mountains in the West. The continent is bounded by the Arctic Ocean in the North, the Indian Ocean in the South, the Pacific Ocean in the East and the Mediterranean Sea in the South-West.
- The highest point is Mt. Everest (8852 m.) and the lowest point is Dead Sea (395 m. below sea level).
- Important mountain ranges are Himalayas, Karakoram, Hindukush, Elburz, Caucasus, Pamirs, Kunlun, Urals, etc.
- Highest peaks are Everest (8,850 m.), K2 (8,611 m.), Kanchenjunga (8,598 m.), etc.
- Largest lakes are Aral Sea, Baikal, Balkhash, Caspian Sea, Dead Sea etc.
- Major rivers are Amur, Brahmaputra, Euphratus, Ganges, Hwang Ho, Indus, Irrawaddy, Lena, Mekong, Ob, Salween, Tigris, Yangtze, etc.
- Area is 44,936,000 sq. km.
- The Plateau of Tibet is the largest and highest in the world and is known as the Roof of the world.
- Asia is the birth place of major religions of the world- Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, etc.
- The population of Asia constitutes 62% of the world’s population.
- It is the most populous country of the world, while in area it is on the third spot.
- Capital is Beijing, currency is Yuan and the official language is Mandarin. Mandarin is the largest spoken language of the world.
- Yangtze, Hwang Ho and Xi Jiang are the principal rivers.
- Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin and Nanjing are the major cities.
- Quinling Mountains divide China into North and South China.
- China is the leading producer of rice and wheat in the world.
- Amur River forms the boundary between Russia and China.
- Ground Canal is the world’s longest artificial water way from Beijing to Nanjing.
- Japan consists of a group of islands. The 4 majors islands in the descending order of size are Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku.
- Tokyo is the capital which is located on Honshu Island.
- The currency is Yen.
- Shintoism and Buddhism are the major religions while Japanese is the official language.
- Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, Kawasaki, Yokohama, Kyoto, Fukuoka are the major cities of Japan.
- Mount Fujiyama is the highest peak of Japan.
- Nagoya is the Detroit of Japan while Osaka is the Manchester of Japan. [Detroit is a city in US famous for automobiles, while Manchestor is a city in UK famous for cotton textiles].
- The tropical cylones hitting the southern coast of Japan frequently are called Typhoons.
- Japan is the world’s leading producer of ships, cars, steel, electronic equipments and machine tools.
- It is the largest archipelago of the world (group of more than 3,000 islands). The main islands are Jawa, Sumatra, Bali, Timor, etc.
- Jawa is the most populated island of the world. Indonesian capital, Djakarta is located on it.
- Rupiah is the currency.
- Islam, Christianity and Hinduism are the major religions. Infact, Indonesia has the maximum number of Muslims in the world.
- The climate is tropical with heavy rainfall.
- Principal crops are rice, sugarcane, fruits, cassava and maize.
- It exports liquefied natural gas, tin, bauxite, nickel, etc.
- Malaysia is situated at the southern end of the Malaya peninsula in South-East Asia.
- Its capital is Kuala Lampur and the currency is Malaysian dollar or Ringgit.
- Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism are the chief religions.
- Malaya, English, Chinese and Tamil are the major languages.
- Malaysia is a major world producer of rubber, tin, palm oil, timber, etc.
- Kuala Lampur, Ipoh, Johor Baharu and Melaka are the major cities.
East Timor Continent
- East Timor got independence after 425 years of colonial rule-400 years under Portugal and 25 years under Indonesia.
- It became independent on Aug. 30, 1999.
- It is an island situated between Indonesia and Australia in the Timor Sea.
- The capital is Dili and the currency is Rupia.
- The main language is Tetum and the major religions are Roman Catholics (Christianity) and Islam.
- The capital of Pakistan is Islamabad and the currency is Rupee.
- Indus, Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi and Satluj are the major rivers.
- Islam is the official and major religion.
- Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Multan, Hyderabad, Karachi are the major cities of Pakistan.
- The four main geographic regions of Pakistan are: an arid plateau in the west, alluvial plains in the east, hills and semiarid valleys in the North West and the high mountain ranges (Himalayas, Hindukush and Karakoram) in the North.