Indian Geographical Location
India is the seventh largest country in the world which makes it obvious for the country to have vast geographical features. The map on geography of India by mapsofindia tries to contain the massive geographical details of the country on a map, for your convenience.
There are as many as 28 states in India, located in the total area of 3,287,263 km2. The largest of all Indian states is Rajasthan which covers an area of 342240 sq km. The state of Rajasthan shares its border with Pakistan on the West, Gujarat on the South West, Madhya Pradesh on the South East and Punjab to the North.
Goa is the smallest state in India located merely in 3702 sq km. The state of Goa is located to the South West of India and is the most prosperous of all the states in the country. Uttar Pradesh lying to the North East of the country is the most populous country in India. The state of Gujarat lying on the extreme west of India is one of the most prosperous of all Indian states. The awe strikingly beautiful Jammu and Kashmir is the northernmost state in the country.
India’s eastern border is equipped by states of Manipur, Meghalaya, Assam, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Arunachal Pradesh. All these states together are located in the 7% of the total area in the country. The union territories in the country are seven in number. Delhi, the capital of India also falls under the category. The other union territories of the country include Chandigarh located to the North of the country, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu located to the West of the country, Lakshadweep located to the South West of the country, Puducherry located to the South East of the country and Andaman and Nicobar Islands located to the South East of the country.
- Lying between latitude 4′ N to 37°6′ N and from longitude 68°7′ E to 97°25′ E, the country is divided into almost equal parts by the Tropic of Cancer (passes from Jabalpur in MP).
- The southernmost point in Indian Territory, (in Great Nicobar Island) is the Indira Point (6°45′), while Kanyakumari, also known as Cape Comorin, is the southernmost point of Indian mainland. The country thus lies wholly in the northern and eastern hemispheres.
- The 82°30′ E longitude is taken as the Standard Time Meridian of India, as it passes through the middle of India (from Naini, near Allahabad).
Area Geography & Boundaries Geography
- India stretches 3,214 km from North to South & 2,933 km from East to West.
- Geography Area of India : 32,87,263 sq. km. Accounts for 2.4% of the total world area and roughly 16% of the world population.
- Mainland India has a coastline of 6,100 km. Including the Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Islands, the coastline measures about 7516.6 km.
- In India, of the total land mass:
- Plains Geography: 43.3%
- Plateaus: 27.7%
- Hills: 18.6%
- Mountains Geography: 10.7%
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.