West Bengal State in India
West Bengal State in India – Other States in India
|Aeronautics||Science of Flight of Airplanes|
|Astronomy||Study of Heavenly Bodies|
|Agronomy||Science dealing with Crop Plants|
|Angiology||Deals with the Study of Blood Vascular System|
|Anthology||Study of Flowers|
|Anthropology||Study of Apes and Man|
|Apiculture||Honey Industry (Bee Keeping)|
|Araneology||Study of Spiders|
|Batracology||Study of Frogs|
|Biochemistry||Deals with the Study of Chemical Reactions in Relation to Life Activities|
|Biotechnology||Deals with the use of Micro - Organism in Commercial Processes for Producing
fine Chemicals such as Drugs, Vaccines, Hormones, etc, on a Large Scale
|Cardiology||Study of Heart|
|Craniology||Study of Skills|
- Agriculture is the mainstay of economy. It is the largest producer of rice in the country.
- Tea and jute industry are also important. Apart from these small-scale cottage industries are also spread.
- Kolkata-Haldia is the major port in West Bengal.
- West Bengal has been ruled by the CPI (M) led Left Front for three decades, making it the world’s longest running democratically elected communist government.
Special Category Status
- This status is conferred on those States which are economically backward and geographically disadvantageous.
- Under this category, the States are eligible for Central Assistance in the form of 90% grants and only 10% loans.
- Till date, 11 States have been given this status.
They are :
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Himachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh