Mughal Administration in IndiaGeneral Knowledge » History »
Mughal Administration System :: List of Mughal Emperors
Mughal Administration in India
- The entire kingdom was divided into suba or pranta, suba into sarkar, sarkar into pargana and the pargana into villages.
- Babar and Humayun had a Prime Minister known as Vakil. The office of Vakil, was, however, discontinued after Bairam Khan.
- Wazir was the Prime Minister.
- Dewan was the head of the revenue department.
- Mir Bakshi : Military Department.
- Khan – i – Saman : Royal household.
- Qazi – ul – quzaf : Judicial Department. The qazis were helped by the muftis.
- Sadr – us – Sadr : Charitable and religious endowments.
- Mustaufi : Auditor – General.
- Amil : Judicial officer in civil and judicial disputes.
- Quanungo : Head accountant.
- Lambardar : Village headman.
- Patwari : Village accountant.
- During Akbar’s reign the empire was divided into 15 subas. The number reached 21 during Aurangzeb’s reign.
- The territory of the empire was divided into khalisa (crown lands), jagirs (land granted to nobles) and inam (land granted to religious and learned men).