Biography of JagmohanGeneral Knowledge »
Indian Governor Jagmohan Biography
- Jagmohan is a former governor of Jammu and Kashmir in India.
- Jagmohan was in government service for many years.
- During his tenure as the Governor from 1984 to 1989, militancy in Jammu and Kashmir was at his peak and he was credited with providing capable administration to the state.
- In Jammu & Kashmir, Jagmohan is credited for bring order to one of the most revered shrines of Hindus, called Mata Vaishno Devi.
- Jagmohan created a board that continues to provide administration for the shrine. Infrastructure was developed and that continues to facilitate pilgrims. However, his tenure as Governor of Kashmir time and again is notorious for repressive policies used by the army and police, like kidnapping, torture, warrant-less detentions, torching of buildings, and these has often been claimed to be part of Jagmohan’s strategy of “providing capable administration”.
- During the Indian Emergency (1975-1977), he was vice-chairman of Delhi Development Authority and was a confidant of Sanjay Gandhi and Indira Gandhi.
- Jagmohan is credited with large-scale demolition of slums during this time for “beautification” purposes.
- In 1982, as New Delhi hosted the Asian Games, Jagmohan served as Lt. Governor of Delhi; he was later credited with capable administration. Later India hosted the Non-Aligned Summit, which was also a success.
- In 1989, when militancy re-exploded in Jammu & Kashmir, Jagmohan was there to work as Governor when requested by V.P. Singh government. Till then Jagmohan had enjoyed the confidence of Indian National Congress (INC).
- Jagmohan was also a confidant of Indira Gandhi’s other son Rajiv Gandhi. However, he fell out of INC due to different views on Jammu and Kashmir and joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) though politically BJP is the largest opponent of INC.
- Jagmohan became Member of Parliament as a BJP candidate and served under Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Jagmohan was formerly a member of Lok Sabha and a minister in the central BJP government. He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1971 and the Padma Bhushan in 1977.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.