Meira Kumar Lok Sabha Speaker Biography
Meira Kumar First Woman Speaker of Lok Sabha
Meira Kumar, an Indian Politician, is the member of 15th Lok Sabha, who serves as speaker of Lok Sabha. This well educated eminent Lawyer turned Politician represents Sasaram Constituency. Miera Kumar is a member of Indian National Congress Party. Meira Kumar did her M.A., LL.B, Advanced Diploma in Spanish Educated at Indraprastha College and Miranda House, University of Delhi ( Delhi ).
In 1973, Meira Kumar joined the Indian Foreign Service and served at Embassies in Spain, United Kingdom and Mauritius. While serving for IFS, Meira Kumar also worked in Embassy of India, Madrid from 1976 to 1977, Meira Kumar has been the High Commission of India, London from 1977 to 1979 and Ministry of External Affairs during 1980 – 1985.
Meira Kumar Early Life
Meira Kumar was born on 31 March, 1945 to Parent Deputy Prime Minister and Prominent dalit leader Late Shri Jagjivan Ram and freedom fighter Smt. Indrani Devi at Patna, Bihar. Meira Kumar is married to Manjul Kumar, who is a Supreme Court Lawyer and the couple has one daughter and three sons.
Meira Kumar Politaical Career
In 1985 Meira Kumar’s induction to politics took place and she was elected from Bijnor in Uttar Pradesh. From Karol Bagh in Delhi, Meira Kumar became a member of the Eleventh and Twelfth Lok Sabha. From her father’s former constituency of Sasaram in Bihar, in 1999 Meira Kumar was re elected with a record majority.
Meira Kumar Political Positions
- Meira Kumar was Elected to 8th Lok Sabha ( 1985 )
- Member Consultative Committee
- Ministry of External Affairs ( 1986 – 1989 and 1996 – 1998 )
- General – Secretary All India Congress Committee ( A.I.C.C. ) ( 1990 – 1992 and 1996 – 1999 )
- Member of Congress Working Committee ( C.W.C. ) ( 1990 – 2000 and 2002 – 2004 )
- Re – elected to 11th Lok Sabha ( 2nd Term ) ( 1996 )
- Member of Public Accounts Committee
- Member of Committee on Home Affairs and its Sub – Committee on Personnel policy of Central Para – Military Forces ( CPMFs ) ( 1996 – 1998 )
- Member of Joint committee on the Empowerment of women and its Sub – Committee on Education and Health Programs for women
- Re – elected to 12th Lok Sabha ( 3rd Term ) ( 1998 )
- Member of Committee on Food and Consumer Affairs ( 1998 – 1999 ) Member of Committee on Environment and Forests
- Re – elected to 14th Lok Sabha ( 3rd Term ) ( 2004 )
- Union Cabinet Minister
- Social Justice and Empowerment ( May 2004 and as the Speaker of 15th Lok Sabha )
Meira Kumar has been actively participating in movements, which are pertaining to Social Reforms, Human Rights and Democracy. During the century’s worst drought in 1967, Meira Kumar as the Chairperson of National Drought Relief Committee of the Congress Party launched a ‘Family Adoption Scheme’. Under which affluent families adopted those drought – affected families.
Meira Kumar is very much committed to human rights and abolition of caste system and for that Meira Kumar has visited every place where atrocities were committed against Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes during the last 20 years. Meira Kumar held several meetings and demonstrations and she filed Public Interest Litigation cases in Supreme Court to ensure justice to them.
Meira Kumar has been the Member of ( i ) Court of Jawaharlal Nehru University from 1996 to 1998 ( ii ) Court of University of Delhi since 1996 ( iii ) Rajghat Samadhi Committee during 1998 – 1999.
Politics Meira Kumar has served as, President, in :
- All India Samta Movement ( also its Founder ) 1990.
- RVAKV Society ( Institute of Blind Girls ) 1992 – 1998.
- Ravidas Smarak Society, Varanasi, 2000.
- Jagjivan Seva Ashram, Sasaram 2002.
Meira Kumar served as Chairperson :
- Meera Kala Mandir, Udaipur, 2000
- Jagjivan Ram Sanatorium, Dehri – on – Sone, 2002; Vice – Chairperson, Rajendra Bhawan Trust, Delhi, 1987; Managing Trustee, Jagjivan Ashram Trust, Delhi, 1985 – 2004.
Meira Kumar served as Member of :
- Senate, Bihar University, 1969 – 1971.
- Supreme Court Bar Association, 1980.
- Senate, Panjab University, 1987 – 1991.
- Governing Body, Indian Council of Cultural Relations ( I.C.C.R. ), 1987 – 1992.
- Advisory Council, Delhi Development Authority, 1998 – 1999.
Meira Kumar is a keen sportswoman and Meira Kumar also holds medals for rifle shooting. Meira Kumar has also been a member of :
( i ) India International Centre, New Delhi.
( ii ) India Habitat Center, New Delhi.
( iii ) National Sports Club of India, New Delhi.