Framing of the Constitution
|GK 2014 Online Mock Test / Free Trial -|
Framing of the Constitution
The idea to have Constitution was given by M.N. Roy ( A pioneer of Communist Movement in India ).
The present constitution was framed by the Constituent Assembly of India setup under Cabinet Mission Plan of May 16, 1946.
Composition of Constituent Assembly
- The Constituent Assembly consisted of 389 members, of which 292 were elected by the elected members of the Provincial Legislative Assemblies while 93 members were nominated by the Princely States.
- A representative from each of the four Chief Commissioners Provinces of Delhi, Ajmer-Marwaf, Coorg and British Baluchistan was also added.
- Each Province and each Indian State or group of States were allotted the total number of seats proportional to their respective population roughly in die ratio of one to a million.
- The seats in each province were distributed among the three main communities – Muslim, Sikh and General, in proportion to their respective populations.
- Members of each community in the Provincial Legislative Assembly elected their own representatives by the method of proportional representation with single transferable vote.
- The method of selection in the case of representatives of Indian States was to be determined by consultation.
- But when the Muslim League decided to withdraw its members from the Constituent Assembly of India and with the creation of a separate Constituent Assembly for Pakistan on July 16, 1947, the membership of the Constituent Assembly of India was reduced to 299, out of which 229 represented the provinces and 70 were nominated by the Princely states.
Its members were :
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar – Chairman
- N. Gopalaswami Ayyangar
- Alladi Krishnaswami Ayyar ( a distinguished jurist )
- K.M. Munshi ( a distinguished jurist )
- Syyed Mohd. Saadulla
- N. Madhav Rao fin place of B.L. Mitra )
- D.P Khaitan ( T Krishnamachari, after Khaitan’s death in 1948 ).
Functioning of the Constituent Assembly
- B N Rao was appointed the constitutional advisor of the Assembly.
- The first meeting of the Constituent Assembly took place on Dec 9, 1946 with Dr. Sachidanand Sinha as its interim President. Dr. Rajendra Prasad was elected as its President on Dec 11, 1946.
- The Assembly had 13 committees for framing the constitution.
The important ones were :
|Union Power Committee||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|Fundamental Rights and Minority Committee||V.B Patel|
|Provincial Constitution Committee||V.B Patel|
|Union Constitution Committee||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|Drafting Committee||B.R Ambedkar|
|Flag Committee||Jivatram Kripalani|
|Steering Committee||K.M Munshi|
All these Committees submitted their reports, which were widely discussed by the Constituent Assembly.
The Constituent Assembly consisted of 389 members, of which 292 were elected by the elected members of the Provincial Legislative Assemblies while 93 members were nominated by the Princely States
Indian Polity Related : The Framing of the Constitution , Framing of the Constitution of India , The Framing of the Constitution of the United States , Framing of the Constitution, Constituent Assembly Members , Drafting Committee of the Indian Constitution , Drafting Committee of Constitution of India , Indian Constitution Drafting Committee , Steering Committee , Members of Constituent Assembly of India , Constituent Assembly Elections , Formation of the Constituent Assembly of India , Drafting Committee Members , Memebers of Drafting Committee of Indian Constitution , Fundamental Rights of Constitution of India , Steering Committee Duties , Steering Committee Functions , Steering Committee Members , Steering Committee Roles and Responsibilities , General Knowledge Indian Politics , General Knowledge Indian Constitution , GK India Current Affairs , GK about India , General Knowledge , GK , GK in India , General Knowledge Questions , General Knowledge India , General Knowledge Test ,
Posted In general knowledge : indian polity : Leave a response for framing of the constitution by amala