Framing of the Constitution
Framing of the Constitution
The idea to have Constitution was given by M.N. Roy ( A pioneer of Communist Movement in India ).
The present constitution was framed by the Constituent Assembly of India setup under Cabinet Mission Plan of May 16, 1946.
Composition of Constituent Assembly
- The Constituent Assembly consisted of 389 members, of which 292 were elected by the elected members of the Provincial Legislative Assemblies while 93 members were nominated by the Princely States.
- A representative from each of the four Chief Commissioners Provinces of Delhi, Ajmer-Marwaf, Coorg and British Baluchistan was also added.
- Each Province and each Indian State or group of States were allotted the total number of seats proportional to their respective population roughly in die ratio of one to a million.
- The seats in each province were distributed among the three main communities – Muslim, Sikh and General, in proportion to their respective populations.
- Members of each community in the Provincial Legislative Assembly elected their own representatives by the method of proportional representation with single transferable vote.
- The method of selection in the case of representatives of Indian States was to be determined by consultation.
- But when the Muslim League decided to withdraw its members from the Constituent Assembly of India and with the creation of a separate Constituent Assembly for Pakistan on July 16, 1947, the membership of the Constituent Assembly of India was reduced to 299, out of which 229 represented the provinces and 70 were nominated by the Princely states.
Its members were :
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar – Chairman
- N. Gopalaswami Ayyangar
- Alladi Krishnaswami Ayyar ( a distinguished jurist )
- K.M. Munshi ( a distinguished jurist )
- Syyed Mohd. Saadulla
- N. Madhav Rao fin place of B.L. Mitra )
- D.P Khaitan ( T Krishnamachari, after Khaitan’s death in 1948 ).
Functioning of the Constituent Assembly
- B N Rao was appointed the constitutional advisor of the Assembly.
- The first meeting of the Constituent Assembly took place on Dec 9, 1946 with Dr. Sachidanand Sinha as its interim President. Dr. Rajendra Prasad was elected as its President on Dec 11, 1946.
- The Assembly had 13 committees for framing the constitution.
The important ones were :
|39||Jammu [JK]||Highland Tower, Rail Head Road Complex Bahu Plaza, Gandhi Nagarjammu - 180 004, Jammu & Kashmir||0191 - 2474531 / 34 / 1156||JK|
|40||Jamshedpur [JH]||Voltas House, Main Road Bistupur, Jamshedpur - 831 001, Jharkhand.||0657 - 2422306 / 7 / 3630||JH|
|41||Jodhpur [RJ]||Prince Tower, Plot No. 654, Nearjaljog Chowraha, Residency Roadjodhpur - 342 003, Rajasthan.||0291 - 2647622 / 44||RJ|
|42||Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad [AP]||H.No. 8 - 2 - 293 / 82 / J - III / 19, Plot No. 19 - III, Road No. 71, Jubilee Hills Hyderabad - 500 034, Andhra Pradesh.||040 - 23600082 / 3 / 4||AP|
|43||Kankurgachi, Kolkata [WB]||P - 35, CIT Road, Scheme VII (M) Manicktala Main Road, Kolkat, 700 054, West Bengal||033 - 23558401 - 04||WB|
|44||Kannur [KL]||Peekay Commercial Complex, Near Potherinursing Home, Muneeswarankoil Junctionkannur - 670 001, Kerala||049 - 2760646 / 27||KL|
|45||Kanpur [UP]||16 / 104 A, Civil Lines, Infront of ICAI Bhawankanpur - 208 001, Uttar Pradesh.||0512 - 2346206 / 9 / 10||UP|
|46||Karol Bagh, New Delhi [DL]||6 / 83, Padam Singh Road, Western Extn Areakarol Bagh, West Delhi, New Delhi - 110 005.||011 - 41451175 / 1988||DL|
|47||Khan Market, New Delhi [DL]||Shop 2A & 2B, Khan Market New Delhi, New Delhi - 110 003, Delhi.||011 - 4699370 / 372||DL|
|48||Kharghar, Navi Mumbai [MH]||Ground Floor, "Anant" Plot No. 31, Sector 4, Navi Mumbai - 410 210, Maharashtra||022 - 65160036 / 7 / 8 / 9||MH|
|49||Kochi [KL]||41 / 419, Ground Floor Chicago Plaza, Rajaji Road, Ernakulamkochi - 682 035, Kerala||0484 - 4411044 / 05||KL|
|50||Koramangala, Bangalore [KT]||No.119, 80 Feet Road, 7th Block Industrial Layout, Koramangala, Bangalore - 560 095, Karnataka||080 - 66671666 / 888||KT|
|51||Kota [RJ]||414, Shopping Centerkota District Kota - 324 007.||0744 - 2365511 / 13 / 14||RJ|
|52||Kozhikode [KL]||Axis Bank Ltd, Marina Mallymca Cross Road, Kozhikode - 673 001, Kerala.||0495 - 4020598 / 97||KL|
|53||Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi [DL]||B - 6, Lajpat Nagar - II, New Delhi - 110 024, Delhi.||29814883 / 5494 / 517223||DL|
|54||Lucknow [UP]||25B, Ashok Marg, Sikander Bagh Chauraha, Lucknow - 226 001, Uttar Pradesh.||0522 - 4152000 / 1 - 32||UP|
|55||Ludhiana [PB]||Shop No.3, LGF, Surya Towers 108, The Mallludhiana - 141 001, Punjab.||0161 - 4684680||PB|
|56||Madhapur, Hyderabad [AP]||1st Floor, Huda Techno Layoutsurvey No. 64, Madhapur, Hyderabad - 500 081, Andhra Pradesh.||040 - 23115422 / 3045||AP|
|57||Madurai [TN]||Door No. 4, Goods Shed Street Null Madurai - 625 001, Tamil Nadu.||0452 - 2347534 / 35||TN|
|58||Malleswaram, Bangalore [KT]||233, 2nd Main, Sampige Road, Malleswaram Bangalore, 560 003, Karnataka||080 - 23310500 / 600||KT|
|59||Maninagar, Ahmedabad [GJ]||Ground Floor, Business Square Building, Near Kirshnabaug Char Rasta Ahmedabad - 380 008, Gujarat.||079 - 40260400 / 1 / 2 / 3||GJ|
|60||Meerut [UP]||Hotel Crystal Palace, G - 2 / 47 Civillines, Boundary Road, Meerut District, Meerut - 250 001, Uttar Pradesh||0121 - 2664519 / 26 / 4404||UP|
|61||Moradabad [UP]||No. 8 / 10 / 6, Sarai Khalsa, Civil Linesnear Head Post Office, Moradabad - 244 001, Uttar Pradesh.||0591 - 2426601 / 2 / 4||UP|
All these Committees submitted their reports, which were widely discussed by the Constituent Assembly.