|GK 2015 Question Bank CD -|
Impeachment (Article 61)
- Quasi-judicial procedure.
- Can be impeached only on the ground of violation of Constitution.
- The impeachment procedure can be initiated in either House of the Parliament.
- The charge must come in the form of a proposal which must be signed by at least one-fourth of the total membership of that House.
- Before the resolution could be passed, a fourteen days notice must be given to the President.
- If, after the notice, the House passes the resolution by a majority of not less than 2/3rd membership of that House, the matter will be referred to the other House.
- After the charges are framed by one house, the other House investigates them.
- At this time President has the right to defend himself either in person or through his lawyer.
- If after the investigation, the other house passes the resolution by not less than 2/3rd majority of that House, the President stands impeached from his office from the date on which the motion is so passed.
Presidents of India :
|Dr. Rajendra Prasad||26.01.1950||13.05.1962|
|Dr. S. Radhakrishnan||13.05.1962||13.05.1967|
|Dr. Zakir Hussain||13.05.1967||03.05.1969|
|V.V. Giri (Vice-President)||03.05.1969||20.07.1969|
|Justice M. Hidayatullah||20.07.1969||24.08.1969|
|F. AIi Ahmed||24.08.1974||11.02.1977|
|N. Sanjiva Reddy||25.07.1977||25.07.1982|
|Gaini Jail Singh||25.07.1982||25.07.1987|
|Dr. S.D. Sharma||25.07.1992||25.07.1997|
|Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam||25.07.2002||25.07.2007|
|Mrs. Pratibha Patil||25.07.2007||25.07.2012|
|Pranab Kumar Mukherjee||25.07.2012||Till Date|
|# – Acting; * – First Chief Justice to be appointed President.|
- In case the office falls vacant due to death, resignation or removal, the Vice-President acts as President.
- If he is not available then Chief Justice, if not then senior-most judge of Supreme Court.
- The election is to be held within 6 months of the vacancy.
- Only once in the History of India, Justice M. Hidayatullah, Chief Justice of Supreme Court, discharged the duties of the President in 1969.
- Justice Hidayatullah is the only person to perform the functions of the President two times in two different capacities, the first time in 1969 being the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and the second time being the Vice-President of India in 1982.