Composition is determined by the President.
The members of the UPSC are appointed for a term of 6 yrs, or till they attain 65 yrs of age.
Can resign earlier to the President.
President can remove them by issuing orders only the SC makes such a recommendation on the basis of an inquiry.
Members of the UPSC are no eligible for employment by the govt., after retirement.
Functions of UPSC:
- To conduct exams for appointment to services under the Union.
- Advise the President (not obligatory on him) in maters relating to appointments, promotions & transfers from one service to another of civil servants.
- All disciplinary matters affecting a person in the service of Union.
- Matters regarding award of pension & awards in respect to injuries sustained during service under the government.
- Maintains continuity of administration.