Vice President of India
Elected by both the houses ( Electoral College ) in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of single transferable vote and the vote being secret. Nominated members also participate in his election.
The Supreme Court has the final and exclusive jurisdiction for resolving disputes and doubts relating to the election of the Vice – President.
Vice President Qualifications :
- Citizen of India.
- More than 35 Years of age.
- Possess the qualification for membership of Rajya Sabha.
- Not hold any office of profit under union, state or local authority. However, for this purpose, the President, Vice-President, Governor of a State and a Minister of the Union or a State, are not held to be holding an office of profit.
Holds office for 5 Years. Can be re – elected.
Term can be cut short if he resigns or by a resolution of the Rajya Sabha passed by a majority of all the then members of the Rajya Sabha and agreed to by the Lok Sabha.
The Vice President is the second highest dignitary of India, next to the President of India.
No formal functions are attached to the office of Vice President.
He is the ex – officio chairman of Rajya Sabha. Since he is not a member of Rajya Sabha, he has no right to vote.
Being the Vice President of India, he is not entitled for any salary, but he is entitled to the salary and allowances payable to the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
All bills, resolution, motion can be taken in Rajya Sabha after his consent.
Can discharge the function of President if the post falls vacant. ( For maximum 6 months ).
The Vice President takes over the office of the President normally under these conditions :
- Death of the President.
- Resignation of the President.
- Removal of the President.
- When President owing to absence, illness or any other cause, is unable to perform the functions of his office.
When he discharges the functions of the President, the Vice President shall not perform the duties of the office of the Chairman of Rajya Sabha and shall not be entitled to receive the salary of the Chairman.
During this period, he is entitled for the salary and privileges of the President of India.
Present salary is ₹ 1,25,000 per month.
The pension is 50% of the salary.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.