Biography of Samy Vellu
Dato’ Seri Samy Vellu Sangalimuthu (born 8 March 1936) is an Indian Malaysian politician. He is the longest serving President of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), a component party of the Barisan Nasional coalition, holding the position since 1979, for 11 consecutive terms.
Samy Vellu was the Works Minister of Malaysia and the longest serving minister in the Cabinet of Malaysia until he lost his parliamentary seat in the 2008 general elections. He has since announced his intended retirement in December 2010 even though his contract ends in January 2011 paving way to his present deputy Dato’ G. Palanivel to succeed.
Samy Vellu Cabinet Positions
Samy Vellu was first appointed to the Malaysian cabinet in 1979, as the Government and Housing Minister. He then went on to serve until 1989, as the Works Minister. From 1989 to 1995, he became Malaysia’s Minister for Energy, Telecommunication and Post.
In 1995, he returned to the Works Ministry, where he remained until he lost his parliamentary seat to Dr. D. Michael Jeyakumar in the March 2008 general election.
Samy Vellu was the second longest serving minister in the country after Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz.
Samy Vellu is married to Datin Seri Indrani Samy Vellu,who is also active in socio-political and various Non-Governmental Organisations. Samy Vellu has one son, Vell Paari, 45, who currently manages MAIKA Holdings and is advisor of Putera and Pemuda Malaysian Indian Congress.
Samy Vellu is also has been appointed as Chairman of Unity and Community Development of Malaysian Indian Congress by its Central Working Committee. His daughter-in-law, Shaila Nair, 33, is also active in Puteri MIC, a special wing of Malaysian Indian Congress dedicated to Indian Women of Malaysia who are below 35 years old.
Samy Vellu Professional Qualification
- Chartered architect
- Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects
- Member of Malaysian Institute of Architect
Samy Vellu Political Career
- 1979 – December 2010 : President of Malaysian Indian Congress, a partnerin the ruling National Front Coalition
- 1974 – March 2008 : Member of the House of Representatives of the Malaysian Parliament
- 1978 – 1979 : Deputy Minister of Local Government and Housing
- 1979 – 1989 : Minister of Works, Malaysia
- 1989 – 1995 : Minister of energy, Telecommunications and Posts, Malaysia
- 1995 – March 2008 : Minister of Works Malaysia
Posted In general knowledge : Leave a response for biography of samy vellu by