CLAT Entrance Exam 2017
CLAT 2017 Organising University is Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law ( RGNUL ), Punjab. The Common Law Admission Test ( CLAT ) is an all India entrance test conducted by 17 National Law Universities / Institutes for admissions to Five year Integrated Under Graduate and Post Graduate Programmes. The 17 participating NLUs in the order of their establishment are : NLSIU, NALSAR, NLIU, WBNUJS, NLUJ, HNLU, GNLU, RMLNLU, RGNUL, CNLU, NUALS, NLUO, NUSRL, NLUJA, DSNLU, TNNLS and MNLU.
CLAT 2017 Entrance Exam
Common Law Admission Test ( CLAT ) is a non-statutory body created under a Memorandum of Understanding ( MoU ) for the convenience of the students seeking admission to various National Law Universities in the country. An entrance test is conducted to provide a list of candidates on the basis of ‘merit-cum-preference’ to each University for admission to their Under-Graduate ( UG ) / Post-Graduate ( PG ) programmes, as per the eligibility, reservation and other criteria laid down under the respective statutes of the participating Universities.
CLAT 2017 Program Offered :
CLAT 2017 UG Programs :
The seventeen NLUs offer five-year integrated Under-Graduate law courses leading to the award of a degree in Law as per their respective nomenclature.
- B.Com.LL.B ( Hons. )
Note : B.A. LL.B. ( Hons. ) is offered by most of the universities, B.Sc. LL.B. ( Hons. ) Course is offered by WBNUJS ( Kolkata ), NLU ( Jodhpur ) and GNLU ( Gandhinagar ). B.B.A. LL.B. ( Hons. ) is offered by NLU ( Jodhpur ), GNLU ( Gandhinagar ), CNLU ( Patna ) and NLUO ( Cuttack ); whereas B.S.W. LL.B. ( Hons. ) and B.Com. LL.B. ( Hons. ) degree courses are offered by GNLU ( Gandhinagar ) alone.
CLAT 2017 PG Programs :
- LLM ( 2 Years )
Note : The information of the LL.M. degree course offered at the various NLUs with the duration and the specializations have been provided in detail under the sections of each University. The candidates are also advised to check the websites of respective Universities from time to time to keep themselves updated about the changes in the course structure and other details.
CLAT 2017 Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility Criteria for UG Programme in CLAT 2017 :
- Candidates shall be below Twenty ( 20 ) Years of age as on 1st July, 2017 in case of all Unreserved / NRIs / NRI Sponsored categories candidates.
Candidates shall be below Twenty Two ( 22 ) years of age as on 1st July, 2017 in case of SC / ST/ OBC / Specially Abled Persons ( SAP ) category candidates.
- As regards minimum percentage of marks in qualifying examination ( i.e., 10+2 ), the candidates must have secured:
Forty five percent ( 45% ) marks in case of candidates belonging to Unreserved / OBC / Specially Abled Persons ( SAP ) and other categories, and
Forty Percent ( 40% ) marks in case of candidates belonging to SC / ST categories.
- Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying examination in March / April, 2017 are also eligible for appearing in CLAT 2017 online examination. However, they shall be required to produce an evidence of their passing the qualifying examination at the time of admission, failing which they shall lose their right to be considered for admission.
- The result of qualifying examination ( i.e., 10+2 ) shall be submitted by the candidate at the time of admission failing which the candidate shall be ineligible for admission to the Course.
- In case of equal marks, the breaking of tie shall be by the following procedure and order as under:
- Higher marks in the section of legal aptitude in CLAT-2017 exam.
- Higher age.
- Computerised draw of lots.
Eligibility Criteria for PG Programme in CLAT 2017 :
- The candidates must have Minimum percentage of marks in qualifying examination ( i.e. LL.B. / Five-Year Integrated LL.B. ( Hons. ) / any other equivalent exam ) as under:
- Fifty five percent ( 55% ) marks in case of candidates belonging to Unreserved / OBC / Specially Abled Persons ( SAP ) and other categories, and
- Fifty percent ( 50% ) marks in case of candidates belonging to SC / ST category,
- The candidate must have passed / appeared in the final semester/final year examination of the qualifying examination on the date of his / her admission.
- In case of candidate who has appeared in the qualifying examination, he / she may submit his / her final result of qualifying examination within the time frame prescribed by the respective University / Institute. Till then such candidates may be given provisional admission.
- In case of equal marks, the breaking of tie shall be by procedure and order as under:
- Higher age;
- Computerized draw of lots.
- No upper age limit is prescribed for appearing in CLAT 2017
To know more about CLAT 2017 Entrance Exam Click Here
CLAT 2017 Exam Pattern
CLAT 2017 UG Exam Pattern :
- Maximum Marks : 200
- Duration of CLAT – 2017 Examination : 02:00 Hours
- Total Number of Questions : 200
|1.||English including Comprehension||40 Marks|
|2.||General Knowledge and Current Affairs||50 Marks|
|3.||Elementary Mathematics ( Numerical Ability )||20 Marks|
|4.||Legal Aptitude||50 Marks|
|5.||Logical Reasoning||40 Marks|
Note : 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer
CLAT 2017 PG Exam Pattern :
- Maximum Marks : 150
- Duration of CLAT – 2017 : 02:00 Hours
- Multiple-Choice Questions : 150 questions of one mark each
|1||Constitutional Law||50 Marks|
|3||Other Subjects such as Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50 Marks|
Note : 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer
To know more about CLAT 2017 Exam Pattern Click Here
CLAT 2017 Application Form
How to Apply for CLAT 2017 :
Candidates can apply for CLAT 2017 ONLINE only. Candidates are advised to read the instructions carefully before filling in the Online Application Form.
CAPS ( CLAT online Application Processing System ) :
The candidates can do most of their interactions with CLAT through the CAPS interface provided at CLAT 2017 website. Through CAPS, a candidate can register and apply for CLAT 2017 examination, check the status of the application, download the admit card, know the result and they can also download the result and score card.
An online interface is provided for applicant’s interaction with the CLAT Office. With this interface, an applicant can –
- Make Registration using “Register Yourself”.
- Fill the online application form.
- Upload photograph and signature and other documents, if any, in the appropriate place.
- Pay the application fee by ONLINE mode only ( Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card etc. ).
- Download Admit Card.
- Download previous year question papers. ( After the payment of requisite fee of ₹ 400/-).
- View Marks and CLAT Rank.
The login to this interface is through your Registered ID and Password. The Candidates are advised to keep this information safe and not disclose it to anyone.
Information / Document Requirements before filling online Application Form Before registering and logging in,the candidate is advised to keep the following information / documents ready:
- Personal information ( Name, E-mail address, Mobile number, Date of Birth )
- Address for communication ( including PIN Code )
- Essential Qualification details ( Percentage of Marks / CGPA of Boards / College / University information )
- Programme in which the candidate wishes to appear ( UG Course or PG Course )
- Three choices of CLAT examination cities
- Front facing Passport size clear photograph of the Candidate with clear lenses ( 3.5 cms x 4.5 cms ) [ JPG Format, size not more than 100 KB ].
- Signature of candidate [ JPG Format, size not more than 100 KB ]
- Scanned copy of SAP Certificatein PDF / JPG / JPEG format only ( if applicable )
To know more about CLAT 2017 Application Form Click Here
CLAT 2017 Online Application Format
Please click here to view information about CLAT Application Form :
1. Registration for CAPS 2017 :
A candidate who wishes to apply for CLAT 2017 examination is required to register on the CAPS website, by providing his / her name, father’s name, mother’s name, date of birth, a valid E-mail address, a working mobile number and a password. Please note that Name of the Candidate, Date of birth, Father’s name, Mother’s name, Email Address and Mobile Number ( 10 digits ) cannot be changed at the later stage; hence they must be carefully verified and confirmed before submission. For registration, the candidate is required to follow the following steps
- The candidates is required to click on “Register yourself” and fill his name as it appears in the ID Proof. The ID proof is required to be produced at the Entrance of the Examination Venue. The Candidate is required to fill parents’ name and date of birth carefully.
- The candidate is required to fill an E-mail address which he / she uses and checks frequently, as all communications to the candidate from CLAT 2017 will be sent to this E-mail address. The candidate must not use somebody else’s E-mail address and only one candidate can be registered with one E-mail address.
- The candidate should provide his / her personal mobile number because most of the communications may also be sent via SMS.
- Upon successful registration, an E-mail containing CAPS User ID and Password will be sent to the E-mail address and Mobile number provided by the candidate.
2. Filling in the CLAT 2017 Application Form :
After when User Id and Password is received, Candidate can apply online by logging into his LOGIN account. A Candidate can LOGIN by clicking on “Registered User ID”, and login with User ID and Password sent to him on his registered email ID. Candidate is required to keep the following information ready :
- Personal information ( name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parent’s name, parent’s mobile number etc. )
- Address for Communication ( including PIN code )
- Choice of CLAT Examination Cities
- Good quality front facing photograph of the Candidate with clear lenses ( 30mm x 45 mm ) (size not more than 100 KB, jpg / jpeg format ) and Signature of the candidate ( maximum 100KB in jpg/jpeg format )
- Scanned copy of PDF / JPEG files of supporting documents of Category / SAP Certificate / Domicile Certificate in PDF format only ( if applicable ), Scribe Declaration form in case of SAP Candidates ; For details, please refer to ‘supporting documents’ )
Candidates are required to convert grade / CGPA ( if any ) into percentage and ensure that they fulfil eligibility criteria for appearing in CLAT – 2017.
Candidates are also required to fill their preferences for all National Law Universities at the time of filling online application form.
After filling in the required information, the candidate has to upload the image files ( in JPEG format ) of photograph and signature. Scanned copies of SC / ST and / or SAP certificates / state domicile ( in PDF format ), Scribe Declaration form in case of SAP candidates are also to be uploaded, if applicable.
The CAPS website allows for saving a partially filled application form, logout and resume filling in by logging in again. Do not SUBMIT the application until it is filled completely. Incomplete applications shall not be considered.
The candidate can now proceed to make the application fee payment. The details of the application fee are given below in “Payment of the Application Fee” section.
The candidate should check for the correctness of the entered information and uploaded documents. If not satisfied, he / she can correct the entries and upload the files again. After ensuring that there is no error in the application form and all the relevant and valid documents are uploaded, the candidate must carefully read the declaration and accept the declaration before submitting the application. Once the candidate submits his / her application, then no further changes can be made to the application. After the application form is submitted, the candidate can view the submitted details.
Any application which is incomplete in any respect and does not have the required valid documents will be summarily rejected. The candidates must take care to fill in the details in the application form correctly and must upload the correct and valid documents, including signatures and photographs.
The candidates are advised to visit the ‘FAQ’ section on the CLAT website. For any additional queries candidates can email or call CLAT helpdesk.
3. Payment of the Application Fee for CLAT 2017:
|Unreserved/SAP/OBC/ any other category||4,000/-|
*The application fee can be paid either Online or through Challan, Additional bank charges may apply for the above transactions. The application fee is non refundable.
Online Payment Mode
- The candidate will be able to make the payment using his / her net-banking account / debit / credit cards or other payment options available on the payment gateway of the CLAT 2017 online application form. The charges may vary depending on the payment option.
- From the CLAT Online Application Interface, you will be redirected to a bank you choose.
- You will have to login with your bank’s Net banking ( or Internet Banking ) user ID and password.
- The fee amount and bank charges will be shown to you, and you have to confirm that the payment is for CLAT 2017.
- Once you confirm, you will be redirected back to the CLAT Online Application Interface.
4. Downloading the CLAT 2017 Application Form :
After CAPS acknowledges the successful payment of the application fee through Online, the candidate will be able to download the complete filled in application form with fee payment details in PDF format. This file can be printed for the candidate’s personal records and for further communications. Print out of the form is not required to be sent to CLAT Office.
On the submission of application form, message will appear that the candidate has successfully submitted the application for CLAT 2017
To know more about CLAT 2017 Online Application Format Click Here
CLAT 2017 Online Admit Card
Admit Card / Hall ticket will have to be downloaded by the candidate by logging into his / her LOGIN account after 20th April, 2017. The candidates will be required to take a print out of Admit Card / Hall Ticket and carry the same to Examination Hall.
CLAT 2017 Exam Centers
|S.No.||State||City||No of Centers in the state|
To know more about CLAT 2017 Exam Centers Click Here
CLAT 2017 Syllabus
1. English including Comprehension :
The English section will test the candidates’ proficiency in English based on comprehension passages and grammar. In the comprehension section, candidates will be questioned on their understanding of the passage and its central theme, meanings of words used therein, etc. The grammar section requires correction of incorrect grammatical sentences, filling of blanks in sentences with appropriate words, etc.
2. General Knowledge and Current Affairs
The General knowledge will be tested on the general awareness including static general knowledge. Questions on current affairs will test candidates on their knowledge of national and international current affairs.
This section will test candidate’s knowledge on elementary mathematics, i.e., maths taught up to 10th Class / standard.
4. Legal Aptitude
This section will test candidate’s interest towards study of law, research aptitude and problem solving ability. Questions may include legal propositions ( described in the paper ), and a set of facts to which the said proposition has to be applied. Some propositions may not be “true” in the real sense, candidates will have to assume the “truth” of these propositions and answer the questions accordingly.
5. Logical Reasoning
The purpose of the logical reasoning section is to test the candidate’s ability to identify patterns, logical links and rectify illogical arguments. It may include a variety of logical reasoning questions such as syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies, etc. However, visual reasoning will not be tested.
CLAT 2017 Results
CLAT 2017 result will be declared on 29th May, 2017.
To know more about CLAT 2017 Results Click Here
CLAT 2017 Counselling Schedule
CLAT 2017 online counseling process shall start from 21st June, 2017. In the first phase candidates shall be required to indicate their preferences for NLU( s ) where they want to take admission. All the candidates who have appeared in CLAT 2017 examination are advised to read carefully‘Counseling and admissions – Instructions for candidates’ available on the CLAT website before proceeding for online counseling process.
To know more about CLAT 2017 Counselling Click Here
To know more about CLAT 2017 Question Papers Click Here
CLAT 2017 Important Dates
|S. No.||Description of Specific Activities||Date and Day|
|1||Date of Issue of Admission Notification||25th December, 2016 (Sunday)|
|2||Starting date for submission of online application form along with order of preferences for NLUs||1st January, 2017 ( Sunday )|
|3||Last date for submission of filled-in online application formalong with order of preferences for NLUs||31st March, 2017 ( Friday ) till 11:59 pm|
|4||Download of Admit Cards / Hall Tickets begins||20th April, 2017 ( Thursday)|
|5||Date of CLAT 2017 online examination||14th May, 2017 ( Sunday ) from 03:00pm to 05:00 pm|
|6||Date of uploading the Answer Key Representation, if any, relating to exam, questionsor keyDate for uploading the amended answer key ( if required )||16th May, 2017 ( Tuesday )17th May – 19th May, 2017( Wednesday – Friday )25th May, 2017 ( Thursday )|
|7||Declaration of results, i.e., issue of Merit List ( Category-wise )||29th May, 2017 ( Monday )|
|8||Publication of first indicative seat allocation list based onmerit-cum-preference||5th June, 2017 ( Monday )|
|9||Dates for payment of counselling fee of 50,000 /-Dates for locking of allotted seats or exercising option forshifting against indicative seat allocation list.Note: The candidates failing to deposit the required fees by the specified date will forfeit their right to be considered for admission in CLAT 2017 and their names will be dropped from the CLAT 2017 Merit List.||06th June – 8th June, 2017 ( Tuesday – Thursday )|
|10||Publication of second allotment list||12th June, 2017 ( Monday )|
|11||Dates for payment of counselling fee of Rs. 50,000/- for candidates whose names have been added in second provisional allotment list against dropped out candidates. Dates for locking of allotted seats or exercising option for shifting against indicative seat allocation list.Note: The candidates failing to deposit the required fees by the specified date will forfeit their right to be considered for admission in CLAT 2017 and their names will be dropped from the CLAT 2017 Merit List.||13th June – 14th June, 2017 ( Tuesday – Wednesday )|
|12||Publication of third allotment list.||19th June ,2017 ( Monday )|
|13||Dates for payment of counselling fee of 50,000/- for candidates whose names have been added in third provisional allotment list against dropped out candidates. Dates for Locking of allotted seats or exercising option for shifting against indicative seat allocation list.Note: The candidates failing to deposit the required fees by the specified date will forfeit their right to be considered for admission in CLAT 2017 and their names will be dropped from the CLAT 2017 Merit List.||20th June – 21st June, 2017 ( Tuesday – Wednesday )|
|14||Last Date for withdrawal from the Admission Process||21st June, 2017|
|a. The counselling fee of those candidates who withdraw up to 21st June, 2017, will be refunded after deducting 10,000 /-|
|b. There shall be no refund of counselling fee after the last date of withdrawal from admission process i.e., 21st June, 2017||( Wednesday )|
|15||Publication of fourth allotment list||24th June, 2017( Saturday )|
|16||Payment of full fees by the candidates whose names haveappeared in the fourth allotment list to the NLUs where their names appeared.||28th June – 30th June, 2017 ( Wednesday – Friday )|
|17||Candidates to complete the admission formalities at the allotted NLUs for admission against allotment list.|
|18||Dates for receiving status of admissions from theparticipating NLU ( s ) in the CLAT office||04th July, 2017 ( Tuesday )|
|19||Date of closure of admission process by CLAT 2017 office||06th July, 2017 ( Thursday )|
Chanakya National Law University
Nyaya Nagar, Mithapur,
Patna-800001, Bihar, India.
Helpline: +91-612-2361114, +91-612-2361115