AIPMT Biology Syllabus 2016
|AIPMT 2016 Question Papers Book + Question Bank CD -|
AIPMT Exam 2016 Biology Syllabus
AIPMT 2016 Biology Contents for Class XI
Unit I : Diversity in Living World
- What is living?; Biodiversity; Need for classification; Three domains of life; Taxonomy and Systematics; Concept of species and taxonomical hierarchy; Binomial nomenclature; Tools for study of Taxonomy – Museums, Zoos, Herbaria, Botanical gardens.
- Five kingdom classification; salient features and classification of Monera; Protista and Fungi into major groups; Lichens; Viruses and Viroids.
- Salient features and classification of plants into major groups – Algae, Bryophytes, Pteridophytes, Gymnosperms and Angiosperms ( three to five salient and distinguishing features and at least two examples of each category ); Angiosperms classification up to class, characteristic features and examples.
- Salient features and classification of animals – nonchordate up to phyla level and chordate up to classes level ( three to five salient features and at least two examples ).
Unit II : Structural Organization in Animals and Plants
- Morphology and modifications; Tissues; Anatomy and functions of different parts of flowering plants : Root, stem, leaf, inflorescence – cymose and recemose, flower, fruit and seed ( To be dealt along with the relevant practical of the Practical Syllabus ).
- Animal tissues; Morphology, anatomy and functions of different systems ( digestive, circulatory, respiratory, nervous and reproductive ) of an insect ( cockroach ). ( Brief account only )
Unit III : Cell Structure and Function
- Cell theory and cell as the basic unit of life; Structure of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell; Plant cell and animal cell; Cell envelope, cell membrane, cell wall; Cell organelles – structure and function; Endomembrane system – endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi bodies, lysosomes, vacuoles; mitochondria, ribosomes, plastids, micro bodies; Cytoskeleton, cilia, flagella, centrioles ( ultra structure and function ); Nucleus – nuclear membrane, chromatin, nucleolus.
- Chemical constituents of living cells : Biomolecules – structure and function of proteins, carbodydrates, lipids, nucleic acids; Enzymes – types, properties, enzyme action.
- B Cell division : Cell cycle, mitosis, meiosis and their significance.
Unit IV : Plant Physiology
- Transport in plants : Movement of water, gases and nutrients; Cell to cell transport – Diffusion, facilitated diffusion, active transport; Plant – water relations – Imbibition, water potential, osmosis, plasmolysis; Long distance transport of water – Absorption, apoplast, symplast, transpiration pull, root pressure and guttation; Transpiration – Opening and closing of stomata; Uptake and translocation of mineral nutrients – Transport of food, phloem transport, Mass flow hypothesis; Diffusion of gases ( brief mention ).
- Mineral nutrition : Essential minerals, macro and micronutrients and their role; Deficiency symptoms; Mineral toxicity; Elementary idea of Hydroponics as a method to study mineral nutrition; Nitrogen metabolism – Nitrogen cycle, biological nitrogen fixation.
- Photosynthesis : Photosynthesis as a means of Autotrophic nutrition; Site of photosynthesis take place; pigments involved in Photosynthesis ( Elementary idea ); Photochemical and biosynthetic phases of photosynthesis; Cyclic and non cyclic and photophosphorylation; Chemiosmotic hypothesis; Photorespiration C3 and C4 pathways; Factors affecting photosynthesis.
- Respiration : Exchange gases; Cellular respiration – glycolysis, fermentation ( anaerobic ), TCA cycle and electron transport system ( aerobic ); Energy relations – Number of ATP molecules generated; Amphibolic pathways; Respiratory quotient.
- Plant growth and development : Seed germination; Phases of Plant growth and plant growth rate; Conditions of growth; Differentiation, dedifferentiation and redifferentiation; Sequence of developmental process in a plant cell; Growth regulators – auxin, gibberellin, cytokinin, ethylene, ABA; Seed dormancy; Vernalisation; Photoperiodism.
Unit IV : Human Physiology
- Digestion and absorption; Alimentary canal and digestive glands; Role of digestive enzymes and gastrointestinal hormones; Peristalsis, digestion, absorption and assimilation of proteins, carbohydrates and fats; Caloric value of proteins, carbohydrates and fats; Egestion; Nutritional and digestive disorders – PEM, indigestion, constipation, vomiting, jaundice, diarrhea.
- Breathing and Respiration : Respiratory organs in animals ( recall only ); Respiratory system in humans; Mechanism of breathing and its regulation in humans – Exchange of gases, transport of gases and regulation of respiration Respiratory volumes; Disorders related to respiration – Asthma, Emphysema, Occupational respiratory disorders.
- Body fluids and circulation : Composition of blood, blood groups, coagulation of blood; Composition of lymph and its function; Human circulatory system – Structure of human heart and blood vessels; Cardiac cycle, cardiac output, ECG, Double circulation; Regulation of cardiac activity; Disorders of circulatory system – Hypertension, Coronary artery disease, Angina pectoris, Heart failure.
- Excretory products and their elimination : Modes of excretion – Ammonotelism, ureotelism, uricotelism; Human excretory system – structure and function; Urine formation, Osmoregulation; Regulation of kidney function – Renin – angiotensin, Atrial Natriuretic Factor, ADH and Diabetes insipidus; Role of other organs in excretion; Disorders; Uraemia, Renal failure, Renal calculi, Nephritis; Dialysis and artificial kidney.
- Locomotion and Movement : Types of movement – ciliary, fiagellar, muscular; Skeletal muscle – contractile proteins and muscle contraction; Skeletal system and its functions ( To be dealt with the relevant practical of Practical syllabus ); Joints; Disorders of muscular and skeletal system – Myasthenia gravis, Tetany, Muscular dystrophy, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Gout.
- Neural control and coordination : Neuron and nerves; Nervous system in humanscentral nervous system, peripheral nervous system and visceral nervous system; Generation and conduction of nerve impulse; Reflex action; Sense organs; Elementary structure and function of eye and ear.
- Chemical coordination and regulation : Endocrine glands and hormones; Human endocrine system – Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Pineal, Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal, Pancreas, Gonads; Mechanism of hormone action ( Elementary Idea ); Role of hormones as messengers and regulators, Hypo – and hyperactivity and related disorders ( Common disorders e.g. Dwarfism, Acromegaly, Cretinism, goiter, exopthalmic goiter, diabetes, Addison’s disease ).
- Important : Diseases and disorders mentioned above to be dealt in brief.
AIPMT 2016 Biology Contents for Class XII
Unit I : Reproduction
- Reproduction in organisms : Reproduction, a characteristic feature of all organisms for continuation of species; Modes of reproduction – Asexual and sexual; Asexual reproduction; Modes – Binary fission, sporulation, budding, gemmule, fragmentation; vegetative propagation in plants.
- Sexual reproduction in flowering plants : Flower structure; Development of male and female gametophytes; Pollination – types, agencies and examples; Outbreeding devices; Pollen – Pistil interaction; Double fertilization; Post fertilization events – Development of endosperm and embryo, Development of seed and formation of fruit; Special modes – apomixis, parthenocarpy, polyembryony; Significance of seed and fruit formation.
- Human Reproduction : Male and female reproductive systems; Microscopic anatomy of testis and ovary; Gametogenesis – spermatogenes and oogenesis; Menstrual cycle; Fertilisation, embryo development upto blastocyst formation, implantation; Pregnancy and placenta formation ( Elementary idea ); Parturition ( Elementary idea ); Lactation ( Elementary idea ).
- Reproductive health : Need for reproductive health and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases ( STD ); Birth control – Need and Methods, Contraception and Medical Termination of Pregnancy ( MTP ); Amniocentesis; Infertility and assisted reproductive technologies – IVF, ZIFT, GIFT ( Elementary idea for general awareness ).
Unit II : Genetics and Evolution
- Herdity and variation : Mendelian Inheritance; Deviations from Mendelism – Incomplete dominance, Co – dominance, Multiple alleles and Inheritance of blood groups, Pleiotropy; Elementary idea of polygenic inheritance; Chromosome theory of inheritance; Chromosomes and genes; Sex determination – In humans, birds, honey bee; Linkage and crossing over; Sex linked inheritance – Haemophilia, Colour blindness; Mendelian disorders in humans – Thalassemia; Chromosomal disorders in humans; Down’s syndrome, Turner’s and Klinefelter’s syndromes.
- Molecular basis of Inheritance : Search for genetic material and DNA as genetic material; Structure of DNA and RNA; DNA packaging; DNA replication; Central dogma; Transcription, genetic code, translation; Gene expression and regulation – Lac Operon; Genome and human genome project; DNA finger printing.
- Evolution : Origin of life; Biological evolution and evidences for biological evolution from Paleontology, comparative anatomy, embryology and molecular evidence; Darwin’s contribution, Modern Synthetic theory of Evolution; Mechanism of evolution – Variation ( Mutation and Recombination ) and Natural Selection with examples, types of natural selection; Gene flow and genetic drift; Hardy – Weinberg’s principle; Adaptive Radiation; Human evolution.
Unit III : Biology and Human Welfare
- Health and Disease; Pathogens; parasites causing human diseases ( Malaria, Filariasis, Ascariasis. Typhoid, Pneumonia, common cold, amoebiasis, ring worm ); Basic concepts of immunology – vaccines; Cancer, HIV and AIDS; Adolescence, drug and alcohol abuse.
- Improvement in food production; Plant breeding, tissue culture, single cell protein, Biofortification; Apiculture and Animal husbandry.
- Microbes in human welfare : In household food processing, industrial production, sewage treatment, energy generation and as biocontrol agents and biofertilizers.
Unit IV : Biotechnology and its Applications
- Principles and process of Biotechnology : Genetic engineering ( Recombinant DNA technology ).
- Application of Biotechnology in health and agriculture : Human insulin and vaccine production, gene therapy; Genetically modified organisms – Bt crops; Transgenic Animals; Biosafety issues – Biopiracy and patents.
Unit V : Ecology and environment
- Organisms and environment : Habitat and niche; Population and ecological adaptations; Population interactions – mutualism, competition, predation, parasitism; Population attributes – growth, birth rate and death rate, age distribution.
- Ecosystem : Patterns, components; productivity and decomposition; Energy flow; Pyramids of number, biomass, energy; Nutrient cycling ( carbon and phosphorous ); Ecological succession; Ecological Services – Carbon fixation, pollination, oxygen release.
- Biodiversity and its conservation : Concept of Biodiversity; Patterns of Biodiversity; Importance of Biodiversity; Loss of Biodiversity; Biodiversity conservation; Hotspots, endangered organisms, extinction, Red Data Book, biosphere reserves, National parks and sanctuaries.
- Environmental issues : Air pollution and its control; Water pollution and its control; Agrochemicals and their effects; Solid waste management; Radioactive waste management; Greenhouse effect and global warning; Ozone depletion; Deforestation; Any three case studies as success stories addressing environmental issues.
AIPMT 2017 Navigation : AIPMT 2016 Counselling, AIPMT 2016 Chemistry Syllabus Page 2, AIPMT 2016 Results, AIPMT 2016 State Codes, AIPMT 2016 Seat Allotment for Dental, AIPMT 2016 Seat Allotment for Medical, AIPMT 2016 List of Facilitation Centers Page 2, AIPMT 2016 List of Facilitation Centers Page 1, AIPMT 2016 Exam Centres, AIPMT 2016 Biology Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Chemistry Syllabus Page1, AIPMT 2016 Physics Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Application Form, AIPMT 2016 Eligibility Criteria, AIPMT 2016 Exam Date, AIPMT Medical Preparation Question Bank CD
AIPMT Related : AIPMT 2016 Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus Details, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus Download, AIPMT Biology Syllabus 2016, CBSE AIPMT 2016 Syllabus Material, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus Information, AIPMT 2016 Entrance Exam Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus for Biology, AIPMT 2016 UG Course Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus Curriculum, CBSE AIPMT 2016 Medical Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus Portions, AIPMT 2016 New Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Study Material, AIPMT 2016 Detailed Syllabus, All Pre Medical Dental Test 2016 Syllabus, Syllabus for AIPMT 2016 Exam, AIPMT 2016 Genetics Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Ecology Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Syllabus for Biotechnology, CBSE AIPMT 2016 Academic Syllabus, AIPMT 2016 Examination Syllabus ,
AIPMT 2016 Biology Syllabus [Diversity in Living World - Cell : The Unit of Life ; Structure and Function - Genetics and Evolution - Structure and Function – Plants].
Posted In medical entrance exam : aipmt : Leave a response for aipmt biology syllabus 2016 by nirmala