PGIMER 2020 MD / MS Entrance Exam
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research ( PGIMER ) invites admission Application for MD / MS programs for the academic session 2020 – 2021.
PGIMER MD / MS Eligibility 2020
- Must have passed MBBS from a University / Institute recognized by the Medical Council of India ( MCI )
- Must have either completed, or due to complete, one year rotatory internship training on or before 31st December / 30th June for January and July session respectively.
- Must be registered with Central / State Medical Registration Council.
PGIMER 2020 MD MS Reservation Seats
Scheduled castes and tribes ( SC / ST )
Some seats for various MD / MS courses are reserved for candidates belonging to scheduled castes ( SC ) , scheduled tribes ( ST ) and other categories, as per instructions from Government of India, provided these candidates fulfill the minimum admission requirements prescribed by the Institute for the purpose. Candidates belonging to scheduled castes and tribes are required to furnish a certificate ( as per format given in Annexure 2 ) from the District Magistrate / Additional District Magistrate / Collector / First Class Stipendiary Magistrate, Sub-divisional Magistrate, Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate / Extra Assistant Chief Presidency Magistrate / Presidency Magistrate, Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar, Sub Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate and or his family normally resides / Administrator / Secretary to Administrator / Development Officer ( Lakshdweep Islands ) in support of their claims. The candidates must supply a Hindi / English Translation of their caste certificate along with the application.
Other backward classes ( OBC )
Reservation for MD / MS candidate from other backward classes ( OBC ) is granted as per notification of Government of India issued vide OM No. 11015 / 1 / 2006- ME P-1 dated 24th April, 2008. The OBC certificate submitted by the candidates should have been issued by the competent authority within one year of the last date of submission of application. OBC certificates issued by the District Magistrate / Deputy Commissioner etc. only will be recognized for this purpose.
Rural area ( RA )
5% of the allocated seats which is further bifurcated into six sessions ( three years ) in MD / MS course are reserved for those candidates who have actually worked, are working, or have carried practice in rural area for a minimum of two years on or before 30th June / 31st December for July & Jan session respectively. Candidate applying under this category is required to furnish certificate ( as per format given in Annexure 4 ) from the District Magistrate concerned in support of the claim. According to the orders of the Government of India, the term ‘rural area’ includes “primary health center, a village, or a town with less than 5000 population and without a Municipal area”. The certificate to be furnished by the candidates should certify that he / she served or is actually serving or has carried on private practice in a village, primary health center, or town with less than 5000 population and without Municipal area.
Person with Disability ( PWD )
3% seats are reserved for Person with Disability. If the disability involves only one lower limb, it should be a minimum of 50%, and should not exceed 70%. If the disability involves both lower limbs, the total disability should not exceed 70%, with a minimum of 50%. Candidates with disability of lower limbs between 50% and 70% shall be considered. In case candidates are not available in this category, then candidates with disability of lower limbs between 40% and 50% may be considered for admission.
The candidate must possess a valid document certifying his / her physical disability. The disability certificate should be produced by a duly constituted and authorized Medical Board of the state or Central Government Hospitals / institutions. The constitution of the Medical Board will be one consultant each from disciplines of Orthopedics, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Surgery.
Sponsored / Deputed Candidates
A candidate applying for admission MD / MS as a sponsored / deputed candidate is required to take the print out of the online application form and furnish the following certificates with his / her application through his / her employer / Sponsoring Authority for admission to the course.
- That the candidate concerned is a permanent or regular employee of the deputing / sponsoring authority, and should have been working for at least last three years ( on or before 30th June / 31st December for July & January session respectively ) .
- That after getting training at PGIMER, Chandigarh, the candidate will be suitably employed by the deputing / sponsoring authority to work for at least five years in the specialty in which training is received by the candidate at the PGIMER.
- That no financial implications, in the form of emoluments / stipend etc. will devolve upon PGIMER, Chandigarh during the entire period of his / her course and such payment shall be the responsibility of the sponsoring authority.
Deputation / Sponsorship of candidates holding tenure appointments ( like house job, Junior or Senior Residency, adhoc or contract or honorary appointment against a leave vacancy ) shall not be accepted. Deputation / Sponsorship of any candidate by private hospitals, institutes or nursing homes are not accepted. The sponsoring authority should not nominate more than one candidate for a specialty. Sponsorship / deputation of candidates will be accepted only from the following:
- Central or State Government Departments / Institutions
- Autonomous Bodies of the Central or State Government
- Public sector colleges affiliated to universities and recognized by the MCI. In case of candidate deputed / sponsored by the Medical College affiliated to Universities and recognized by Medical Council of India, deputation / sponsorship certificate signed by the Principal of Medical College concerned only shall be accepted.
Deputed / Sponsored candidates are also required to appear in the selection test. If selected for admission to any course of the Institute, these candidates are required to make their own arrangement for stay during the period of their studies.
Foreign nationals ( FN )
A candidate applying for admission as a Foreign National candidate is required to take the print out of the online appli cation form and furnish the relevant certificates are required to route their application through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi. All foreign nationals will have to take prior permission from the Medical Council of India before applying for postgraduate Courses in the Institute, as per their instructions issued vide office no. MCI-202 ( 1 ) ( Gen ) Regn-2010 / 45277 dated 9th December, 2010.
An advance copy must be submitted at PGIMER, Chandigarh before the last date of receipt of applications, However applications of such candidates will be processed after receipt of the same through diplomatic channels. These candidates are also required to appear in the entrance examination along with other candidates. A separate merit list of for these candidates will be prepared within their own group. There will be another separate merit list for Bhutanese nationals, apart from the list for foreign national seats. Selection of candidates will be made on merit based on their performance in the entrance examination. In the event of selection, the candidates have to apply for temporary registration with the Medical Council of India for the duration of postgraduate study.
Overseas Citizen of India ( OCI )
OCI registered under Section 7A of Citizenship Act 1955 are also eligible to appear in this test and all terms and conditions applicable for Indian Nationals given in this prospectus will be applicable to them. The candidate should submit proof of Registration as OCI under Section 7A of Citizenship Act 1955 at the time of counseling.
PGIMER 2020 MD MS Admission Procedure
Closing of PGIMER 2020 Admission
- Admission to all courses will close on 31st July, 2020
- Admission to various postgraduate courses conducted at the Institute is made twice a year. The sessions commence from first January and first July each year.
- The Institute follows a residency service-cum-training scheme. Candidates admitted to MD / MS courses are called Junior Residents.
- The admission to the above courses of the Institute is made on merit on all India basis, by holding an entrance examination by the Institute, after issuing a countrywide admission notice. The admission notice is published in leading English newspapers of India in the month of September for January session and March for July session.
PGIMER 2020 MD / MS Online Application Form
The candidate should fill his / her online application form available on the PGI website i.e. www.pgimer.edu.in. He / She should fill all the fields / columns of the form. No fields / columns should be left blank. After filling application form the candidate should deposit the application fee through challan form ( Triplicate ) in any branch of SBI.
PGIMER MD MS Application Fee
- SC / ST candidates : ₹ 800 / –
- For all other categories : ₹ 1000 / –
- PWD Candidates : Exempted for payment of Application / Examination fee
All candidates are directed to deposit the above fees in any State Bank of India branch by filling the challan form in the name of Director, PGIMER, Chandigarh ( Examination ) in the Power Jyoti Account No. 32211613319. Those candidates who have SBI account can also pay their fees through i-collect service No. 32222954695.
PGIMER 2020 Online Application Form Procedure
- Candidates must note that no other form of payment of application fees like Demand Draft, Banker Cheque, Money Order, Postal order, etc. will not be accepted under any circumstances, and any application form without a copy of the Challan will be rejected without any further correspondence with the candidates.
- MD / MS Candidates belonging to Foreign National Category MUST write Three choices of Subjects on the printed Application form.
- The candidate should ensure to take printout of application form after completing all details. Candidates belonging to Foreign National Category, Sponsored Category and Presently Employed candidates are required to submit their NOC from Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, New Delhi, Sponsorship Certificate from Competent Authority and NOC from Employer respectively.The Applications of above mentioned categories i.e. Foreign national and Sponsored category alongwith requisite certificates must reach the office of Registrar, Academic Section PGIMER, Sector-12, Chandigarh-160012, atleast 15 days before the commencement of the Entrance Examination.
- The candidates who qualify the written test are required to submit the print out of online application form, a photograph and copies of certificates duly attested in support of educational qualification ( s ) , experience, age / date of birth certificate, caste certificate, Fresh OBC certificate, challan form and NOC from the present employer, if employed at the time of counseling. Candidates should sign all the documents forming enclosure to the application, and also put the date.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered, and no correspondence will be entertained in this matter. All particulars in the application form must be written carefully and legibly. All claims made in the application must be supported with documentary proof.
- Candidates who have already done, or are doing, MD / MS in any subject at the time of applying, shall not be considered for admission to MD / MS courses. If it is found, during active verification at a later stage, that the candidate has given wrong information, his / her registration will be cancelled without any notice.
- Candidates who have obtained MBBS degree from a Medical College not recognized by the Medical Council of India are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates in employment must forward their application through proper channel. Online Application will be treated as advance copy of the application. Application through proper channel should be sent to the Registrar, Academic Section of the Institute within 10 days after the last date fixed for the receipt of applications.
In case any candidate is found to have supplied false information or certificate etc., or is found to have concealed or withheld some information in the application form, he / she shall be debarred from admission. Any other action, that may be considered appropriate by the Director of the Institute, may also be taken against him / her, which may include criminal prosecution.
PGIMER 2020 MD / MS Admit Card
Roll Numbers / Admit Cards for appearing in the entrance examination will available for download to eligible candidates approximately 15 days in advance and can be downloaded from the website by logging into their accounts on the website with their respective login id and password. Roll Numbers / Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post. The candidates are allowed to enter in the examination hall on the production of the Admit Card / Hall Ticket.
PGIMER 2020 MD MS Selection Procedure
Candidates will be considered for selection to MD / MS courses based on a theory paper consisting of 250 multiple choice question ( MCQs ) with five alternatives each and single / multiple correct responses. Negative marks will be given for incorrect responses marked. The duration of this competitive entrance examination, to be conducted at various centres at Chandigarh is three hours.
The approximate number of questions for each subject is as follows
- Applied Anatomy – 6
- Applied Biochemistry – 12
- Immunogenetics and Molecular Biology – 10
- Applied Physiology – 6
- Pathology – 15
- Pharmacology – 12
- Microbiology – 12
- Forensic Medicine – 6
- Social and Preventive Medicine – 7
- Internal Medicine – 36
- Paediatrics – 12
- Dermatology – 6
- Psychiatry – 6
- Radiodiagnosis – 6
- Obstetrics and ynaecology – 20
- Radiotherapy – 6
- General Surgery – 36
- Otorhinolaryngology – 10
- Ophthalmology – 10
- Orthopaedics – 10
The question paper has 250 questions, each with five response options. Hence there are a total of 1250 response options. One or more of these five options can be correct for each question. The question paper therefore has some number of correct responses ( say a ) and incorrect responses ( say b, such that a+b=1250 ) . A candidate would mark a proportion of these responses as being correct. Some of these are truly correct ( say x ) while the remaining are wrongly marked as being correct ( say y ) . The scoring is done through a customized software that matches the candidates’ responses to each of the 1250 possible responses ( marked as correct, or left blank ) with the true answer ( correct or incorrect ) . True correct responses ( i.e. candidate correctly marks a response as true ) are scored positively, and incorrect responses ( i.e. candidate marks an incorrect response as correct ) are scored negatively. Any responses not marked by the candidate are not scored. A candidate’s percentage score will be computed using the formula: Percentage score= [x / a–y / b]×100.
As an example, assume that the question paper has 600 correct responses. If a candidate marks 580 responses as correct, out of which 450 are truly correct and the remaining 130 are incorrect, then a = 600, b = 650, x = 450 and y = 130. Accordingly, for this candidate, percentage score is: [ ( 450 / 600 ) – ( 130 / 650 ) ] × 100 = 55.0. Please note that these figures are only illustrative, and do not imply the actual number of correct responses in the question paper, or actual performance of any candidate.
Actual scores will not be considered further since these percentage scores will depend on relative difficulty of the question paper, and the relative ability of candidates, and it is not advisable to use these in generating cut – offs for selection. These will be converted into percentile score using the formula: Percentile= [ ( B+ ( 0.5×E ) ) / N]×100where B = number of scores below the candidate’s score, E = number of scores equal to the candidate’s score ( 1 if there is no tie, and >1 if there is a tie ) , and N = number of candidates appearing forexam. Overall rank of all the candidates shall be decided based on these percentile scores, with a higher percentile score translating into a better rank.
If two or more candidates obtain equal percentile scores, then inter – se merit for selection shall be determined on the following basis
- A candidate who has obtained higher aggregate marks in MBBS examination shall rank higher to a candidate who has obtained lower marks.
- If the aggregate marks obtained in MBBS examination are the same, then a candidate senior in age shall rank higher to a candidate who is junior in age.
An overall merit list based on the percentile obtained by all the candidates appearing in the examination in the theory examination ( irrespective of their category ) will be prepared.
Candidates of various categories who secure percentile in the theory examination, as mentioned against each category, will qualify for admission:
- Open ( General ) and Sponsored / Deputed : 55th percentile
- OBC, OPH, SC / ST, Rural Area, Foreign Nationals : 50th percentile
- Bhutanese Nationals : 45th percentile
Candidates from reserved categories are also eligible to compete for general category seats ( open category ) .Thus, in addition to category wise list, a combined General Category merit list of all the candidates will also be prepared.
PGIMER 2020 MD / MS Results
PGIMER 2020 MD / MS Results has been declared
PGIMER 2020 MD MS Counselling
There will not be any clinical or practical examination. Allocation of various disciplines of MD / MS courses will be done on the basis of a personal counseling, strictly in order of merit in the respective merits lists of the theory examination. The number of candidates to be called for 1 st counseling will be three times the total number of seats to be filled for each category of candidates, provided the candidates fulfill the cut-off points mentioned above.
The selection will be finalized only after the counseling of the candidates. Any candidate who is absent at the time of counseling will not be considered for admission. However he / she will still be eligible to appear in the second / third counselling. Under exceptional circumstances, if any candidate reports for counseling after his / her turn, he / she will be considered for admission only in the disciplines available at that time. Though the seats will be filled purely on merit basis but 2nd / 3rd counseling will be open as per merit subject to the candidate meet passing criteria in their respective category.
Unfilled seats of MD / MS courses will be offered to all the candidates category wise as per their merit obtained in the entrance examination. Any candidate who does not get the subject of his / her choice in the 1st &, 2nd counseling can also attend the 2nd & 3rd counseling to get the subject of his / her choice. No penalty will be charged from the candidate who gets selected in another subject after surrendering from the subject in which he / she joined in the 1st & 2nd counseling.
No TA / DA shall be paid to candidates for attending any Counseling. No separate communication will issued for second and third Counseling sessions. If any candidate surrenders the seat obtained in first / second counseling, he / she will not be entitled to any claim regarding salary or leave for that period of training.
PGIMER 2020 MD / MS Important Dates
|1||Dates for submission of online applications||15th March, 2018|
|2||Last Dates for submission of online applications||16th April, 2018|
|3||SBI will accept the fees of those applicants whose challan form is generated on||15th March, 2018|
|4||Last Date for SBI will accept the fees of those applicants whose challan form is generated on||21st April, 2018|
|5||PGIMER MD / MS 2018 Entrance Exam||13th May, 2018|
|6||Admission to Courses Close date||31st July, 2018|
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.