All India Council for Technical Education Notification
( A Statutory Body of the Government of India )
7th Floor, Chanderlok Building,
New Delhi – 110 001
Phone No: 011 – 23724151 – 57,
Fax: 011 – 23724183
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has been established as statutory body by an Act of Parliament (Act 52 of 1987) under Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt, of India for the proper planning and coordinated development of technical education system throughout the country, the promotion of qualitative improvements of such education in relation to planned quantitative growth, and the regulation and proper maintenance of norms and standards in the technical education system and for matters connected therewith.
To be a world-class organization leading technological and socio-economic development of the country by enhancing the global competitiveness of technical manpower and by ensuring high quality technical education to all sections of the society.
- Facilitating world-class technical education through high quality institutions, academic excellence and innovative research and development programmes, Technology forecasting and global manpower planning, Promoting industry-institute interaction, inculcating entrepreneurship.
- Making Indian technical education globally acceptable.
- Providing affordable education to all.
- To be a forward looking organization that has an efficient, flexible and empowered manpower, sensitive to stakeholders’ expectations.
In order to fulfill its mandate given by the Act of Parliament in an effective manner, AICTE continued its focus on Transparency, Access, Building Mutual Trust & Confidence, Accountability, Quality and Equity to facilitate and empower its stakeholders with the following measures:
- Transparency by introduction of “Mandatory Disclosure” for institutions, which helps students and other stakeholder in making informed decisions.
- Promotion of “Equity” with a provision for institutions to present their cases and being heard; and overseeing the provisions for making technical education “accessible and affordable” without affecting quality.
- Extension of approval based on “Compliance Report and Mandatory Disclosure” to build “Mutual Trust & Confidence” thereby bringing a convergence in our attempts to lead technological and socio-economic development.
- Adopting the practice of issuing the “Letter of Intent” on the same day of Hearing Committee meeting itself.
- Harnessing the concept of processing the proposals “Anytime round the year” with a built in time bound system of a calendar of schedule with cutoff dates.
- “Time-bound Approval Process” with clear time-frame thereby enforcing responsibility on all concerned to minimize uncertainties and hardship.
- Random & Surprise Visits” to ensure maintenance of Norms & Standards and Quality of technical education. Violation of Norms & Standards would lead to punitive and legal actions.
Mandatory Approval Requirement
- No new technical institution of Government, Government Aided or Private (Self Financing) institution, whether affiliated or not affiliated to any University shall be started and no new courses or programmes shall be introduced and no increase and/or variation of intake in the existing courses/programmes shall be effected at all levels in the field of Technical Education’ without obtaining prior approval of the Council. The Council may take appropriate action against such defaulting Institution/Society/ Trust/ Company/ Associated Individuals as the case may be for contravening provisions of AICTE regulations by conducting courses / programmes in “technical education” without obtaining prior approval from AICTE.
- No existing technical institution of Government, Government Aided or Private (Self Financing) institution, whether affiliated or not affiliated to a University shall conduct any technical course/program without obtaining prior approval of the Council.
- A University or a Body or a Board shall not affiliate Institutions and their technical courses / programmes leading to award of Degree / Diploma etc. not approved by AICTE.
- An admission authority/ body/ Institution shall not permit admission of students into a course/program of technical institution not approved by the Council.
Submission of Compliance Report for Extension of Approval to Existing Technical Institutions
- The Approval Process Hand Book containing details of Norms and Standards for continuation of approval can be downloaded from the AICTE website www.aicte.ernet.in
- All the institutions are required to submit the Compliance Report (also a soft copy on CD), indicating the rectification of deficiencies alongwith mandatory disclosure information and details of infrastructure & other facilities including faculty for each course in the prescribed format (available at AICTE website “www.aicte.ernet.in”) alongwith a Demand Draft towards processing fee of Rs.50,0007- drawn in favour of “Member Secretary, AICTE” payable at New Delhi to the concerned Regional Office latest by 31st August, 2008 irrespective of the period of approval.
- The mandatory disclosure information in the prescribed format is required to be hosted by all AICTE approved technical institutions on their websites failing which, action including No Admission/ Withdrawal of Approval would be initiated as per the rules and regulations of AICTE.
- The Council will carry out “Random & Surprise Visits” to ensure maintenance of their ‘Norms & Standards and Quality of technical education’. Violation of Norms & Standards would lead to punitive and legal actions.
- The institutions shall submit an undertaking in the prescribed format which is available on website www.aicte.ernet.in stating that the information provided in the compliance report and mandatory disclosure is “factual” and “correct” and that the Council can take appropriate action, including withdrawal of approval and appropriate legal action if found that any information provided is false.
- The decision of grant of continuation of approval or otherwise will be communicated by “31st March, 2009”.
Applications for Introduction of Additional Courses / Increase / Variation
In Intake in the Existing Technical Institutions
1. Submission of Application
- Application form and the Approval Process Hand Book can be downloaded from AICTE website www.aicte.ernet.in.
- The application can be submitted “any time” round the year to the concerned Regional Office along with proof of submitting a copy each to State Government and Affiliating University. However, the application complete in all respects received up to 15th October, 2008 shall be considered for the following academic year. Application received after 15th October, 2008 shall be considered for the next academic year.
- Two copies of the application (also a soft copy on CD) alongwith a proof of having submitted a copy of the application each to the affiliating University and State Government, and a demand draft towards processing fee of Rs.60,000/- drawn in favour of “Member Secretary, AICTE” payable at New Delhi to the concerned Regional Office shall be submitted. One copy of the application shall be directly submitted to the affiliating University and the State Government either in person or through Speed/Registered Post.
- The decision of grant of approval or otherwise will be taken by AICTE based on the Compliance Report, Mandatory Disclosure, Inspection Report submitted to concerned Regional Office and any other documents as mentioned in the Approval Process Handbook.
- The institutions shall submit an undertaking in the prescribed format which is available on website www.aicte.ernet.in in stating that the information provided is “factual” and “correct” and that the Council can take appropriate action, including withdrawal of approval and appropriate legal action if found that any information provided is false.
- The Letter of Approval (LOA) shall be valid for two academic years from the date of issue.
- Letter of Approval (LOA) issued in respect of completed applications received up to 15th October, 2008, which have fulfilled all norms and standards of the Council for introduction of New Course(s)/ Variation in Intake/Increase in Intake shall be valid for Two academic years including the following academic year for obtaining affiliation with the concerned University & fulfilling concerned State Government requirements for admission.
- The Letter of Approval issued for the applications received after 15th October, 2008 shall not be valid for the following academic year but valid only for next Two Academic years.
- The Council will carry out “Random & Surprise Visits” to ensure maintenance of “Norms & Standards and Quality of technical education’ (Violation of Norms & Standards would lead to punitive and legal Actions).