AICTE invites Proposals on Research & Institutional Development (RID)
7th floor, Chanderlok Building,
Phone No: 011- 2372 4251 – 57,
AICTE Call for Proposals on Research & Institutional Development for Financial Assistance During 2009 – 10
The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) is a statutory body established by the Government of India through Act No.52 of 1987, for proper planning and co-ordinated development of Technical Education System throughout the country, promotion of qualitative improvement of Technical Education in relation to planned quantitative growth, regulation and proper maintenance of norms and standards in the Technical Education system and for matters connected therewith.
Technical Education includes the fields of Engineering & Technology, Architecture, Town & Country Planning, Management, Pharmacy, Hotel Management & Catering Technology and Applied Arts & Crafts.
Proposals/ applications are invited under the following Research & Institutional Development (RID) schemes of AICTE:
- Research Promotion Scheme promotes research in identified thrust areas of research in Technical Education including technology for physically challenged, disaster management etc. Funding under the scheme is limited to Rs.10-20 Lakhs depending upon the type of research proposed. The duration of the project is 2-3 years.
- Nationally Coordinated Project (NCP) promotes integrated R&D on themes of National / Social significance, involving networking/collaboration amongst several institutions and industry user organizations. Funding under the scheme is limited to Rs.30-40 Lakhs for projects of national importance and Rs.5-10 Lakhs for projects on development of technical education.
- National Facilities in Engineering & Technology with Industrial Collaboration (NAFETIC) aims at establishment of National Facilities in frontier areas of Engineering and Technology in collaboration with industry for design, instrumentation, testing, manufacturing etc. The participating industry for establishment of National Facility is required to contribute a minimum of 50% of the estimated cost of project and the Council will provide the balance of cost (maximum up to 50% of estimated project cost). Maximum limit of grant-in-aid under the scheme is Rs.50 Lakhs for a period of three years.
- Modernization and Removal of Obsolescence in Technical Education(MODROBS) aims at equipping technical institutions with modern infrastructural / laboratory / workshop / computing facilities to enhance their teaching, training and research capabilities. Maximum limit of grant-in-aid under the scheme is Rs.15 Lakhs for a period of 1-2 years.
- Industry Institute Partnership Cell (IIPC) Scheme provides for setting up of an IIP Cell in a technical institution as focal point for better interaction between the academia and industry. The maximum limit of grant-in-aid is Rs.5.0 Lakhs as one time non-recurring grant and Rs.5.0 Lakhs as recurring grant for a maximum period of 5 years subject to satisfactory performance.
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell (EDC) aims at institutionalizing mechanisms, which could act as support system for technocrat entrepreneurs. The Entrepreneurship Development Cell set up under the scheme is expected to act as a tool to promote entrepreneurship and self-employment amongst technical students as an attractive and viable career option. The maximum limit of grant-in-aid is Rs.4.0 lakhs as one time non-recurring grant and Rs.4.0 Lakhs as recurring grant for a maximum period of 5 years subject to satisfactory performance.
- PG Scholarship Scheme: In pursuance of the Policy Framework for Promotion of Post-Graduate Education and Research in Technical Education as announced by Ministry of Human Resource Development, AICTE is implementing and running PG Scholarship scheme in various fields of technical education. A valid GATE scorer is eligible for scholarship amount @ Rs.8000/-(all inclusive) per month ON MERIT provided he/she gets admission in AICTE approved PG programmes in a technical institution.
- Travel Grant enables meritorious teachers to present papers and interact at international conference/ seminar/ symposium etc. AICTE provides full air fare, registration fee and per diem allowance.
- Seminar Grant provides financial assistance for organizing national / international seminar / workshop / symposium / conference in areas concerning technical education. It provides opportunity for interaction and sharing of information and state-of-the-art knowledge.
- Staff Development Programme (SDP) facilitates up-graduation of knowledge and skills of faculties in technical institutions. It also provides opportunities of induction training for teachers. Each programme is of maximum two weeks duration with maximum 50 participants. The Council provides maximum grant-in-aid of Rs.7000/- per participants per week.
- Emeritus Fellowship utilizes services of highly qualified and experienced superannuated Professors of technical institutions/university departments to stimulate research activities and to provide mentoring and guidance to faculties as well as institutions. The fellowship carries an honorarium of Rs.20,000/- p.m. and contingent grants of Rs.50,000/- p.a. The duration of the fellowship is two years.
- Career Award for Young Teachers identifies young talented teachers who have established competence in emerging areas / disciplines of technical education. The scheme helps them in promoting their professional growth by enabling them to devote maximum time in research and study with minimum teaching responsibilities.
- National Doctoral Fellowship (NDF): Fifty Doctoral Fellowships are offered to selected research scholars to enable them to pursue doctoral programme in existing and emerging fields of technical education. The fellowship carries a scholarship of Rs.18,000/- p.m and contingency of Rs.25.000/- p.a for three years. All those research scholars who have registered for Ph.D in the select identified institutions (enlisted in the scheme booklet) during 01/10/2008 to 31/07/2009 are eligible to apply.
- Visiting Professorship Scheme is aimed at supplementing and providing expertise in those areas of teaching / research in which host institutions do not have expertise. Candidates holding the post of Professors shall be considered for appointment as Visiting Professors. Suitable honorarium is paid to the Visiting Professor.
- Financial Assistance to Professional Societies / Bodies Scheme provides limited non-recurring financial support to selected technical professional bodies/societies and enables them to make useful contribution to the development of technical education in their respective professional domain. In addition to the above schemes, the RID Bureau of AICTE implements the following schemes for Faculty and Institutional Development, for which applications are invited separately.
- AICTE-INAE Distinguished Visiting Professorship: AICTE and Indian National Academy of Engineers (INAE) have jointly initiated this scheme. Highly experienced technical professionals from Industry visit technical institutes for short durations to deliver lectures/talks for the benefit of students and faculty members. They also help in improving curriculum design and in formulating and guiding projects for students faculty.
- Quality Improvement Programme (QIP) provides opportunity for upgradation of qualifications of regular faculty members of AICTE approved technical institutions both at Degree and Diploma level by way of facilitating admissions to M.Tech & Ph.D programmes in selected premier technical institutions in the country. The scheme also provides scope for enhancement of expertise, and capabilities of faculty members through Short Term Courses. Curriculum development activities are also conducted under QIP.Full details of schemes including scheme booklets, eligibility criteria, prescribed formats for submission of proposals/ applications and other specific conditions of each scheme are available on the AICTE website: www.aicte.ernet.in.
The last date of receipt of applications in the Council for all the schemes except at S. No 7 for the year 2009-10 is July 31st, 2009.
For scheme at S.No 7 the last date of submission of the proposal is 30th September, 2009.Also, proposals / applications under schemes at S. No 8 & 9 must be received at least three months in advance of the event.