Seat-fee Pact will stay
A circumstance does not exist for revising the fee in the government-quota seats in 11 private self-financing medical colleges which have entered into a seat-fee agreement with the State government, Education Minister M.A. Baby said here on Tuesday.
He said on the sidelines of a seminar that any question of a revision would arise only if the remaining 97 seats in the management quota were not filled.
The government was optimistic that the agreement would be implemented in full.
Students who had received allotments to the government seats in these colleges need not be concerned about their admission.
Only, their admission procedure would be determined after discussions between the managements and the government.
The Supreme Court, on Monday, directed that the opinion of the P.A. Mohammed Admission Supervisory Committee be sought on how to fill the 97 seats, as the association submitted that there were no applicants.
The court, on 31st August, 2010, had directed that admissions to the management quota (35 per cent of the seats) be done from the rank list published by the Commissioner of Entrance Examinations after declining to stay a Kerala High Court verdict declaring null and void the entrance test conducted by the Association of Private Self-financing Medical College Managements.
Mr. Baby said the government expected that the committee would soon give its opinion. The managements had so far not demanded the return of 50 per cent of the seats they had earmarked as government quota.
“The managements are understood to have said that they will receive the allotted students only after 20th September, 2010 (the date of the next hearing in the Supreme Court).
This was their decision alone; no discussions have been held with the government on this. The departments of Higher Education and Health will hold consultations today and tomorrow on what steps the government should take at this juncture,” he said.
Sajan Prasad, secretary of the managements’ association, said that the association was yet to take a final call on the issue of raising fee in the government seats.
If, for any reason, admissions could not be carried out under the agreement with the government, then the association could either charge 2.6 lakh a seat as in the agreement or the 3.5 lakh collected in colleges under the inter-church council.
He said the fifth round of allotments to professional courses, the list of which was published by the commissioner, was in violation of the understanding reached between the government and the managements following the Supreme Court’s observations.
“We had only agreed to allow the provisional acceptance of course-college options. We specifically told the government that no allotments should be done till the Supreme Court finally decides the case.
If we admit students now and if some situation arises tomorrow following the Supreme Court verdict, those students will be left in the lurch. We don’t want to do that,” he said.